Slack Player

Holy Bovine

First Post
I like some of these suggestions, but I need to stress the point that kicking them the game is in no way shape or form an option.

Nonsense. Kicking a player out is always an option. Just an undesired option.

Are the rest of the players in this group really happy that your games 'has ground to a halt'? Does that make the game fun to play? Do none of the other players even see the problem this guy is creating?

Still not seeing any reason not to kick the guy. As far as you've told us you have no game - it 'ground to a halt' - remember? So what difference does it make what you do? You really need to take back control of your game because as of right now 'slack player' has 100% control and you (and the rest of the group) have nothing.

Tallifer

Hero
I like some of these suggestions, but I need to stress the point that kicking them the game is in no way shape or form an option. First of all, I've already played the "Just kick them from the game" card before, and I can only do that once, and that was early on, in the first in game day. Secondly, the party has already formed a tight nit organization called "The First Appleguard" in which the members treat each other like family. (Yes I know that it's a weird name, and yes I know the initials are F.A.G. but it makes sense in context) So their is no way any member of the group would just leave, meaning the only way they could be removed is if they were killed off. And I really don't want to put the Appleguard through that... Again.

It sounds like you and the other players have formed a tight knit group, but as for him, just replace him with a non-player character played by yourself or one of the active players.

As for "just like family," in real life tight knit groups have to break up all the time. Even families. All the time. Here I am in Korea for example, thousands of miles away from all my friends and family which I have in Canada.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
1. As Billy Joel sings, "Tell him about it!" If talking doesn't get him to focus more on the game...

2. Boot him! Wait, never mind...

3. You or a designated player run his PC when he goes MIA.

Next problem!

Angrydad

First Post
If the other players are completely oblivious to the problems this other player is giving you, I'd take it up privately with Slow Player. If s/he won't work at paying more attention, tell them you'll just start skipping their turns if they don't respond within a certain amount of time. If the rest of your group has started complaining about the SP, go ahead and tell SP as much, that s/he's taking up valuable fun time with friends.

If SP can't be bothered to change their behavior, boot them from the sessions. It sucks, but I have a player who is really unreliable about showing up for games, so we all just assume he can't make it and have someone NPC his character.

[OMENRPG]Ben

First Post
Try to see what reasons the non-engaged player is completely uninterested. Maybe s/he is doing this as some sort of power play in the group dynamic because s/he doesn't like the character they created or the game that is being played.

As a guy who has 50+ players chomping at the bit to run in one of my games, I guess I have the luxury of hand-picking who I want at my table, and if someone runs aground (which has happened before for various reasons, usually personal) I politely ask them to leave and come back when they are ready to play more seriously. I'm not going to sit in a room (or online) with a group of people for hours playing pretend when the only fun is really if everyone is immersed equally (not really, but at least a minimum threshold).

As others have said, talk to him/her. Then boot, control character, or come up with a good reason in story to do it. If you can't think of anything better than "kill his character" you should consider re-tooling your game.

the Jester

Legend
I like some of these suggestions, but I need to stress the point that kicking them the game is in no way shape or form an option.

What if he starts taking an hour to roll his d20?

What if he makes it no fun for you to run the game?

What if he ruins the rest of the group's fun?

First of all, I've already played the "Just kick them from the game" card before, and I can only do that once, and that was early on, in the first in game day.

You can do it as often as you need to to run a good game.

Secondly, the party has already formed a tight nit organization called "The First Appleguard" in which the members treat each other like family...

None of that matters. All families fight. Friends move on to other interests or friends. Adventurers lose limbs so that they have to stay home and keep the books or die. And all of the stuff you're talking about revolves around the character, not the player- you can always npc him if need be.

Talk to him first. Don't limit your options. Think about it. If he ruins the fun for you and you stop running the game, there's no more game for anyone. He may well be ruining the fun for everyone else as it is.

Remove ads