• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Slavicsek to leave WotC

Jeffrey

First Post
While I did not like 4e (forgivable, just not my cup of tea), and am still a bit disgusted in the way fans of 3e and previous editions were treated and denigrated in the roll-out to 4e (unforgivable), in this economy it is a difficult thing to lose ones job.

Best of luck to Bill and the others.

Dannager

First Post
and am still a bit disgusted in the way fans of 3e and previous editions were treated and denigrated in the roll-out to 4e (unforgivable)

~ deleted ~ <- see, it wasn't even worth really going there. See something that irritates you? just gloss over it and move on. Definitely the best option. Thanks. Plane Sailing, ENworld admin

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
(Ill state now that Im not really on the pulse of the rpg industry. I see names get stated of people who have left X for Y and it normally just glazes on by. )

Having heard the news I actually dusted off my old West End Star Wars books to have another look (and Shatterzone, where all those rejected Star Wars ideas went to die/live).

Then I found my Torg books. Damn, what a game. I doubt a lot of people reading this thread will remember the system but the game was actually co created by Bill.

I doubt Bill will be out of a job for long but Im sure hes going to want to take a break before he tries something new.

Talok

First Post
So I guess Bill was a victim of WotC's "let's lay off everyone we can every 6 months" policy. WotC must be a lousy company to work for.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
So I guess Bill was a victim of WotC's "let's lay off everyone we can every 6 months" policy. WotC must be a lousy company to work for.

On the contrary. By all reports, WotC is an awesome place to work. If someone is at the level of skill and experience where they are aiming to work at WotC, they would have to have been living in some sort of weird space-time distortion to *not* realize that there are regular layoffs at WotC.

Not to mention, for many of the people who have worked at WotC, they grew up playing D&D, and working at WotC would have been a dream come true for them.

Finally, it has been noted by numerous people who have been laid off by WotC that they (WotC) are *very* generous with severance packages.

I doubt that you would find very many people who would regret their time at WotC.

Sutekh

First Post
Yeah I find this weird, I guess as soon as someone sees WOTC and Employer/Employee they get their back up and rile about how bad an employer WOTC are.

From what Ive seen and read WOTC would be a damn good place to work at. I give full credit to people who can make a career out of the rpg industry (as long as they dont resort to underhanded tactics ie .. giviing their own products reviews etc). Its no where near as stable as an office job , government job or bank job. Im sure many game makers actually have to have a 'real' job to pay the bills.

Remove ads