• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Slayer of Domiel (type) Build?

Skead

First Post
Can anyone suggest a good build? I was shooting for something like the character out of Assassin's Creed, who does evil, but for good.

I did have a few questions about the PrC if anyone knows about them,

1. What is Death Touch really good for? The description doesn't make a lot of sense, 1D6 per slayer level, and if the total at least equals the targets current hit points, it dies... well doesn't that apply for everything? Including slashing a sword at someone? If there is a catch to this or some hidden use, please inform me :)

2. I'm allowed to start out Lawful Evil to work towards an Assassin, then go to Lawful Good (after a long time and repent) for the PrC Slayer of Domiel. Would the optimal build be Level 4 Rogue, Level 1 Assassin, then Level up Slayer of Domiel?

3. Am I totally looking into the wrong PrC here? Is there something better suited?

Thanks so much for all your answers, they help me immensely.

Kwitchit

First Post
About the Death Touch:
It doesn't deal damage. If you beat the HP total, the thing dies, if you don't, nothing happens. That's the catch.
Its advantages over slashing with a sword:
At high levels, it can kill things that a melee attack wouldn't- unless your Slayer is doing 10d6 with melee attacks.
It kills things rather than disabling them if they go to -1.
It's a touch attack, so it ignores armour.
It can be delivered with a touch, which makes it useful outside combat- shake hands with someone and they drop dead.
It can be delivered as the last attack in an iterative attack sequence to get the enemy's HP down.

Skead

First Post
Kwitchit said:
About the Death Touch:
It doesn't deal damage. If you beat the HP total, the thing dies, if you don't, nothing happens. That's the catch.
Its advantages over slashing with a sword:
At high levels, it can kill things that a melee attack wouldn't- unless your Slayer is doing 10d6 with melee attacks.
It kills things rather than disabling them if they go to -1.
It's a touch attack, so it ignores armour.
It can be delivered with a touch, which makes it useful outside combat- shake hands with someone and they drop dead.
It can be delivered as the last attack in an iterative attack sequence to get the enemy's HP down.

Wow, definitely clears it up for me. I didn't know you could use it as a Last Attack type deal. Thank you.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
It's a supernatural ability and unless they say otherwise, they require a standard ability to activate. So, you can't just use it as your last iterative attack. If you had already activated it in a prior round, however, and were holding the charge, you could use it as any of your iterative attacks.

Advantages: Death effect--it will take a resurection spell to bring the target back
Kills without dealing hp damage--not subject to the target being saved by delay death.
Touch attack--likely to hit
Disadvantages: increasingly ineffective at high levels. By the time your slayer of domiel has a 10d6 death touch, if you're not dishing out at least 35 points of damage per hit, the character is not doing what it should. (And note that a full attack action is likely to result in multiple hits--unlike the death touch which will usually only be the only thing you do that round). Also, the death touch has to be the last 35 or so hit points, but by the time you are high enough level to have a decent death touch, your opponents will usually have at least 100hp each so there won't be very much room between "too many hit points for death touch to work" and "it's dead already--too late for death touch".

On the whole, death touch is a scary ability for BBEG death cultists at low to mid levels where a 6d6 death touch could easily finish off a wounded fourth level PC who would otherwise take several hits to kill. By the time you reach level 10 or so, it's mostly outlived its usefulness and by the time the slayer of domiel gets a 10d6 death touch, it's pretty much only going to be useful for stopping delay deathed critters and frenzied beserkers or for costing your opponents an extra 5,000 gp to get their friend back.

Remove ads