• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sleep?

webrunner

First Post
Cast sleep:
If the target is MISSED by sleep, then it's slowed, and remains slowed until it makes a save. Once that happens the effect ends.
If the target is HIT by "Sleep": target is immediately slowed.
At the end of the target's next turn, it makes a save:
If it makes the save, it is no longer slowed, and it's over.
If it succeeds the save, it is now slowed AND unconscious.
At the end of the target's next turn after that, it attempts to make saves against both. If it succeeds vs unconscious it wakes up. If it succeeds vs slow it is no longer slowed. It may make the Unconscious save first, and then wake up still slow. Every turn it makes saves against the conditions that still affect it.

Byronic

First Post
Having a solo monster fall asleep by using the wisdom penalty on the first save means that there's at least one round in which everyone can try and hit the solo with huge to-hit bonuses (I think +7 but I'm not sure), automatic crits if they do hit and it can't attack you for at least one full round.

That's quite powerful at any level.

Quicken

First Post
Don't forget someone can wake the sleeping creature. So it's not that powerful as even a slowed target could easily wake the others. You get 1 or 2 rounds of crowd control out of it unless it's combined with a silence or something.

kaomera

Explorer
1st level, area effect Slow spell. What is there not to love? Yes, 4E Slow only reduces movement rate. Movement is really, really important in 4E.

Oh, and as an added bonus you might render some of the targets unconscious. If they live long enough to make a save...

SDOgre

First Post
The one thing I'd like to point out is that spell focus is a Paragon tier feat. You can't take it at first level. So those hoping to combine sleep with spell focus... you'll have to wait a while.

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
The RAW says unconscious. Not asleep. There is no asleep condition.

There is also no rules on how to "wake" an unconscious character (he makes his save vs. a spell if that's what caused it, or after a short rest).

This is a very powerful spell at 1st level. Dare I say broken?

Wis

FungiMuncher

First Post
Well, there is the rule on page 263 of the PH about waking a sleeping character - damage, shaking or making noises (perception at a -5 penalty) will do it.

Furthermore, the power has the 'Sleep' keyword.

Last edited:

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
FungiMuncher said:
Well, there is the rule on page 263 of the PH about waking a sleeping character - damage, shaking or making noises (perception at a -5 penalty) will do it.

Yes, but I see that as meaning sleep is a subset of the unconscious condition. No where in the wizard's spell does it say you're asleep; it says you're unconscious. I may be reading too much into this.

Our house rule: If you take damage while under magical sleep, you wake up.

Wis

Khaim

First Post
Wisdom Penalty said:
Our house rule: If you take damage while under magical sleep, you wake up.
That's a great way to totally nerf the spell. If that's your intention, go for it. However, the single reason Sleep is a good spell and not a total pile of crap is that if you can hit and they fail their save, they are completely helpless for one or more rounds.

Remove ads