• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sleeping while guardingWake while sleeping

KarinsDad

Adventurer
As a general rule, I would not suggest it.

Players are there to have fun and making "falling asleep" rolls, although realistic sounding on the surface, are actually quite contrived and not fun for players.

If you were falling asleep on guard duty in a dangerous area, would you stand up and walk around, or wake up a fellow party member, or just sit there and fall asleep, knowing that there are monsters out there?

It really does not make sense to add this level of complication to the game. It's like adding a level of "give me a roll to see if you have to take a leak while on guard duty".

Just not worth it to antagonize your players over something so non-necessary.

Btw, there is no official rule on this. I would only suggest doing it as a plot hook (i.e. you fall asleep and miss the woodsman slipping past the party and they discover his tracks the next day), not for typical guard duties. Even this can be very contrived sounding and not fun for your players.

Last edited:

skunian

First Post
I agree with KD on this one. Though there are always exceptions to that rule. On an average night it's pretty easy for somebody to stay awake those few extra ours for guard duty. But if the PC's have been on the move and not getting a normal amount of sleep I may add something like a fort check, but only if the PC's have really neglected sleeping like 3-5 days worth of a forced march with little sleep and food. Other then that what KD said.

Henrix

Explorer
To add in elements from another thread:
If the players insist that their characters are searching all the time they are on guard, I would recommend a fort save to avoid being fatigued when something happens/the day after. ;)

Artoomis

First Post
I'm willing to accept that adventurers are probabaly better than your average sailor at keeping watch at night. The average sailor must keep watch for part of the night, constantly scanning for hazards of all sorts. Seems to me there is no reason an adventurer could not be expected to do likewise, at least when out in the wilds or otherwise knowing some hazard might be out there somewhere.

Cyraneth

First Post
skunian said:
I agree with KD on this one. Though there are always exceptions to that rule. On an average night it's pretty easy for somebody to stay awake those few extra ours for guard duty. But if the PC's have been on the move and not getting a normal amount of sleep I may add something like a fort check, but only if the PC's have really neglected sleeping like 3-5 days worth of a forced march with little sleep and food. Other then that what KD said.

Why a Fort save? It seems that Fort saves are overly favored... Why not a Will save? Shouldn't it be force of will that keeps you awake? Or maybe a Ref save? Rogues have good Ref saves and are known to be alert (uncanny dodge, good Listen and Spot scores)...

Anyway, as KD said, there's usually no need for this extra "facet of life" in a fantasy setting.

- Cyraneth

Henrix

Explorer
Cyraneth said:

Why a Fort save? It seems that Fort saves are overly favored... Why not a Will save? Shouldn't it be force of will that keeps you awake? Or maybe a Ref save? Rogues have good Ref saves and are known to be alert (uncanny dodge, good Listen and Spot scores)...

Certainly, a will save could be used, just as well, representing the character's determination to stay awake.
But I think that generally a fortitude save is more appropriate as it is more a question of staving off fatigue.

Reflex saves are entirely out of the question, I'm afraid, as it is not a test involving any sort of agility or speed.

Remove ads