• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Slightly Cheesy One-shot idea (sorta long)

Peterson

First Post
Some background on the setting, written as if the Captain is narrating.

SIX DEGREES OF SEPERATION: a D20 Future one-shot
“I’ve got a bad feeling about this."

"It’s the year 2308, near as we can tell, and here’s how it is: Old Earth got used up, so we terraformed a whole new galaxy of Earths, some rich and flush with new technologies, some not so much. The central planets formed the Alliance and decided all the planets had to join under their rule. There was some disagreement on that point. After the War, many of the Independents who had fought and lost drifted to the edges of the system, far from Alliance control. That was a whole mess of years ago, and history has lost much to time, but there are facts to be known. There’s no more Alliance, just a bunch of big-name corporations that run the show, while scrappers like us scrape to make it day to day. You got a job, we can do it, don’t much care what it is. Out here, people struggle to get by with the most basic technologies; a ship would bring you work, a gun would help you keep it. I’m Nathan Reynolds, captain and pilot of the Molly Haggard. Got a good crew too: fighters, co-pilot, mechanic. We even picked up a doctor, on the run from some big corporation, so he’s keeping a low profile. We fly the black, transporting everything from Old Earth relics to people."

Some interesting facts about this setting:

No one truly knows what year it is, nor even where Old Earth or the central planets are. History has been lost almost completely to time, and the galaxy uses relics from Old Earth as actual historical references. People honestly believe that shows like Firefly and Starship Troopers have actually happened and are part of their history lessons. In fact, Firefly has been redone and is now called The Chronicles of Jayne Cobbs: A Documentary of the Earth That Was and is shown in almost every sort of schooling imaginable. People sincerely claim descent from these characters, and archeologists still search the stars for relics of old.
Corporations, not governments, run the planets, with some of the largest corporations as follows:

Bishop Technologies and Industry (BTI): Specializes in military applications and robotics/cybernetics. In fact, the Engineer’s arm is a BTI Series Two, an older and outdated model that is no longer in production. BTI is known to be ruthless competition in regards to most other businesses, and cares little about scrappers (little guys). It is said that they maintain their own standing army, but BTI claims they only have a dedicated security force.

Blue Sun Corporation: Typically a foodstuffs company, their big sellers are the Super-charged Coca-Cola, Solar Sugar Blast Skittles, and the immensely-popular Mountain Rain Black Wire (think of Orange Mountain Dew mixed with Purple Mountain Dew, with about 5x the caffeine). They claim that their company originated before the Alliance/Independent War, and they certainly have been around for longer than anyone can truly remember (plus, there is “evidence” in the Firefly dvds).

Typically, the Progress Level is around 7, but instances of PL6 are quite common. Anything of PL5 or lower are considered relics and PL8+ is cutting edge and normally prototype. Laser pistols and rifles are common, and cybernetics/genetic engineering is considered the norm. Mutations do happen, especially if your linage includes some of the first colonists. Psionics, while rare, are known to exist – most are viewed with distrust and those with the special powers normally keep such information concealed. There are no humanoid aliens that have been discovered, but there have been a large amount of “monstrous” aliens encountered throughout the centuries. In fact, one of the reasons the movie Starship Troopers is considered a documentary is because of the discovery of the Arachnids – more commonly called the Warrior Bugs, or just Bugs. These bugs, and so far only the one type – warriors – have been discovered, have destroyed many colonies; most notably the colonies of Para 1 and Patience. Hovervehicles, starships, and the like are commonplace as well. Common languages are Chinese, English (most common), Russian, Spanish, and German. Many others exist as well.

Peterson

First Post
Now, the characters....

Pilot

You are also the Captain – and owner – of the ship, the Molly Haggard.
You’re a playboy, a gunslinger, a cigarette-smoking smart-ass. Yes, you’re good with a sidearm, and probably the best gorram pilot this side of the blue sun, but you’re cocky and sometimes too stubborn. You’ve been this way ever since your Uncle Cobbs the VIII forced you to watch the Chronicles of Jayne Cobbs remake. To the disappointment of your Uncle, you didn’t really like how Jayne Cobbs, who your Uncle claims he is directly descended from, was represented. You did find the Captain rather shiny though.
However, you’ve grown some and realized it’s not all about what was and what should be. It’s about dealing with what’s in front of you. So, while you still dress like Captain Tightpants, and do your best to talk like him, you’ve also grown into your own person.
Some things will never change though – like your adopted name (Nathan Reynolds) or the fact that while others use lasers, you still carry a firearm – a custom firearm at that. Shiny, huh?

Co-Pilot

A gruff, no-nonsense person, always chewing on a cigar (or puffing on it if lit) and complaining about how you’re coming down with something and how your joints ache. However, you’re never really bothered by the cold or by electrical shocks, and you can move quickly enough that some attacks are less severe.
(You’re a mutant, with the Drawbacks of Ability Decay: -2 Dex and Weak Immune System: -2 to Fortitude saves vs poisons, disease, and radiation sickness. However, you have the abilities of Energy Resistance 5: Cold and Electricity as well as Force Barrier: 3/day; lasts a number of rounds equal to your Constitution modifier; Damage Reduction of 3/-)
You come from a high-gravity colony world – Nataka – and grew up tending to the land. As soon as you were able, you took off to the stars, joining the military. However, you were constantly picked on for your short stature and bad health, so you soon parted ways. You hopped from job to job, from transport to colony to transport, doing whatever work you could find. Finally, after over ten years of drifting, you ended up serving on the Molly Haggard as co-pilot and second-in-command.
You get along with the pilot fairly well; same with the gunners – but that damn engineer… Something about that damn engineer. Maybe the way the engine room is always so messy or the fact that the engineer doesn’t seem to take anything seriously….

Engineer

So, you’re not completely serious. Why should you be? They say repairing and designing and creating are serious things, but they just seem to come naturally to you. Besides, you’d much rather be tinkering with your hoverboard or someone’s weapon.
Sure, you’re a little messy, a little quirky, a little accident prone – hence the multiple scars and of course, the cybernetic arm – but you’ve calmed down since then. Really!
Okay, it possibly doesn’t help that you regularly mix Solar Sugar Blast Skittles into your Choc-Coca Itty Fudge Brownie Bits cereal, or that you wash it all down with Super-charged Coca-Cola (now with 3x more caffeine), but hey – at least you’ve thought about starting to pick up some of your messes. That should count for something, right?
Oh yeah, something to say about your past. Well, it sucked. You were orphaned at age six – your parents killed by a faulty Automac. You grew up in an orphanage that never checked if you were even there – a dirty place that, more often than not, forgot to leave food out for you and could care less if you got in trouble. Yet, you kept things straight and managed to land yourself a good place as a starship technician’s assistant. Within a few months, you surpassed him in pure skill and ended up replacing him within the company – at least until the accident that cost you your arm. Now, you’re on some run-down, beat-up Falcon, with a guy who thinks he’s Solo as captain and pilot. Not all bad though, you get to annoy the co-pilot. Wonder if he can pull your arms off?

Gunner (Bughunter)
You made it to 15 years of age….15 years of living in paradise….before the Bugs came. Your colony, Para 1, was an untouched frontier planet, covered with beautiful rolling hills, breathtaking mountains, but the Bugs took all that away. Your home, your family, but they didn’t take your anger…no, no they didn’t.
You typically dress in dark leather and often have a stern grimace upon your face. When you’re not cleaning your weapons or practicing with them, you can be found drinking… Your poison of choice? A little brew you make called Bugblood – 190% alcohol and distilled in a small section of the armory that you’ve claimed as your own. The Bugs hit your home first, but you plan on making your face the last thing they ever see.
Last week was your 22nd birthday, and the Engineer got you – somehow – an Old Earth relic. Something called Starship Troopers. Good documentary. You can identify with the subject of interest – Johnny Rico – but wonder how Mr. Hollywood knew what the Bugs looked like. The Warrior Bugs, you mean, because you’ve never seen another type. Anyway, good documentary. You’ve been memorizing the lines so you can quote them whenever you get the chance.
Oh, and you do smile – when Sugar says that line about scrapping them (Bugs) off your boot. How very true.

Gunner (Brute)

You are a brute. No two ways around it. You were born big and remained that way even to this day. However, while you are a tremendous sight, you aren’t as stupid as most expect. More than once, you’ve used that to your benefit. Besides your intelligence, you have a way with the opposite sex and can often talk them into doing things for you; favors if you will. In fact, you got your place on the Molly Haggard due to your charisma – a few well-placed words to a few well-placed people, and well, you were hired.
Some dealers get antsy when they see your impressive stature accompanying the Captain (or Co-Pilot), but it just makes the deals go down so much easier – especially when they realize they will be dealing with you; that you’re the deal-maker.
You like to dress in such a manner that enhances your already overwhelming figure and you tend to favor medium to heavy weight armors when you’re out in the field. You try not to go anywhere without your high-frequency sword, sometimes to the co-pilot’s annoyance.
You have a very good relationship with everyone on the crew – well, as good as one can have with the Bughunter at least. You would gladly lay your life down for the Captain if needed, and only slightly less so for the rest of the crew.

The Doctor

Dr. Robert Clayton Dean, formerly a popular company doctor, servicing employees – and their families – working for Bishop Technologies and Industry, rounds out the crew. A dark haired, thin man in his late 40’s, he is always well-dressed (rather fond of darker colors) and maintains a properly trimmed goatee and beard. His voice rarely rises above a loud whisper, and he abhors violence. Dr. Dean prides himself on his intelligence and can be quite pretentious most of the time.
Dr. Dean is on the run after accidentally causing the death of a prominent BTI employee during a routine surgery. BTI’s personal security force investigated his bank accounts and recent spending habits, determining that he had been paid by a rival company – most likely Weyland Yutani – to kill their leading geneticist.
Knowing that he wouldn’t be able to prove his innocence, he went on the run, took to the stars. After hiding in the shipping section of a few transports, Dr. Dean used the remaining money he had on him to buy passage on a run-down fast freighter called the Molly Haggard, where he is also serving as the crew’s medic, usually to his utmost distain.
Dr. Dean doesn’t get along with the crew at all really, thinking of them as slightly more advanced as apes, though their personal hygiene and dietary habits are about equal to the primate. However, he tolerates them, as they are aiding him in hiding, as well as being possibly useful if he is ever found by BTI’s security forces. Dr. Dean is all about survival.

Peterson

First Post
House rules...

I "created" some quick and dirty rules to help my group keep the feel of a fast-paced, cinematic one-shot game. Here are they are.

Bonus/Penalties during the game:

Quoting a movie that’s applicable to the moment: I will hand you a playing card that represents a bonus Action Point. Once you decide to spend that Action Point, merely hand me back the playing card and roll. You may elect to pass your playing card to another player at any time. The benefiting player gains an Action Point to use, and you gain a +2 to your next two D20 rolls. However, Action Points (represented by playing cards) must be spent in a timely fashion (there is no set time limit though) and you may not possess more than 4 at any one time. Note: If I don’t recognize the movie quote after a brief description, than no playing card will be issued.

Referring to an Old Earth Relic: +2 to your next D20 roll; +4 if you give it a new name that’s related to it, but funny (like Chronicles of Jayne Cobbs: A Documentary of the Earth That Was instead of it’s actual title, Firefly).

“Advancing” an Old Earth Relic
: +3 to your next D20 roll (i.e. Super-charged Coca-Cola, now with 3x the caffeine).

Playing in-character: This is something you should be doing already; however, I will reward this by allowing you to burn an Action Point to stabilize (not normally covered in the rules) when at negative hit points. You may spend another Action Point (one a round) until your negative hit points equal -1, but no higher (i.e. you’re stabilized at -9, and you burn an Action Point to raise your total to -5. Next round, you can burn another Action Point – if desired – to raise you up closer to -1). You raise hit points equal to your Action Point roll.

Party in-fighting that disrupts game: -3 to your D20 rolls until the in-fighting ceases. Note: If it’s for the betterment of the game (i.e. the Engineer and the Co-pilot), than this penalty would not apply. Note: I will warn you once before assigning this penalty.

Party Sabotage: This is different from the in-fighting in that it is only one or more people working together in such a manner as to disrupt the enjoyment of the game. -5 to your D20 rolls until the sabotage ceases. Note: I will warn you once before assigning this penalty.

Rules Lawyering: Not going to happen. This game needs to proceed in a quick and efficient manner, and stopping the game to look up rules doesn’t do it. Attempts at Rules Lawyering will result in the immediate forfeit of all playing cards in your possession, as well as a -2 to all D20 rolls for the next 5 rounds. If I am unsure, I will revert to the Universal Rule (+2 or -2), or will merely wing it. Note: If you guys see that I am doing the “Rules Lawyering”, please bring to my attention immediately. If I feel you are right, I’ll give each of you a playing card. However, don’t use this as a mere excuse to gain playing cards, or I will stop giving them out all together.

I also copied a nice size list of Notable Quotes from the movies, I, Robot; Starship Troopers; Alien; Aliens; Alien Resurrection; AVP; Firefly; Lost in Space; and Men In Black, but didn't inlcude them here for reasons of space.

BigRedRod

First Post
I like the idea of using playing cards as action points. I'm going to rip that off I do believe.

Other than that it sounds like it'll be quite a bit of fun, a little silly for my tastes though, but each to their own.

Good luck with it.

Peterson

First Post
Well, just a quick note about using playing cards...

We stopped doing that, and have moved on to Poker Chips. White ones are a free action point, Green ones are an automatic +2 (unless you got Action Boost, then it's +3), Blue ones are an automatic +4 (unless you got Action Boost, then it's +5), and Red ones are an automatic success. You can only pass White Poker Chips to other players, and you gain the bonuses as noted above.

This has lead to quite a few interesting encounters - and "unexpected" results. It also allows me to throw slightly harder - and sometimes a lot harder - challenges at them. We're currently discussing whether or not we plan on using these rules in our new game Border Wars (see storyhour link in sig for more info).

Hope you all continue to enjoy this idea, and if any one wants, I can provide the "GM Details" to this bad boy as well.

Peterson

Peterson

First Post
Just an update to any who followed this idea before.

First off, I realized I only provided the "Player Notes" from the one-shot. There's a lot more going on behind the scenes - a lot more.

Secondly, I'm currently working on a sequel to this idea, tenatively titled Dead Signal.

Any who are interested, let me know. I'll either post details here or privately, depending on demand and my interest. ;)

Peterson

Remove ads