• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Slime Wave

Gromm

First Post
Junkheap said:
Its also a cleric spell in defenders of the faith. Thats the first place it appeared. BUT how much of the slime can the creature remove in 1 round?

All of it, provided he has something to take it off (and knows to). This rules out anything without a sharp tool of some sort or a Cure Disease spell. So just about everything, but at least its not the instant kill it was (though its pretty close most of the time).

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
The best thing your dragon covered with slime can probably do is cast a fireball on himself (minimum caster level = 5), and hope to kill off as much of the slime as possible while not doing too much damage to himself.

Jeremy

Explorer
I disagree. I think the statement you put in bold simply applies to the procedure of removing it. Not that it has not injured the target yet.

Hand of Vecna

First Post
Sunlight also destroys Green Slime.

And what about the victim's equipment (as I believe someone else already asked)? Green Slime deals 2d6 points of damage per round against wood and metal items, and ignores metal's hardness (but not wood's hardness).

Gromm

First Post
Jeremy said:
I disagree. I think the statement you put in bold simply applies to the procedure of removing it. Not that it has not injured the target yet.

You could be right, this would be an excellent question for the Sage, given that it applys across the board to many game effects (Stirges, Green Slime, Swallowing). Actually as far as the swallowing, I know it was in Game Stoppers on the Wizards site, so that might be a good reference. I'll see what it says and hopefully get some insight.

SirShandlar

Sage's reply

Here is the response the Sage sent me related to this topic. The last part was the most surprising to me. It does support Jeremy's position. Note that I sent this email over a week ago.

Hello Sage,
My question is about the 7th level Druid spell Slime Wave (from MoTW). The spell description says that it covers a creature with one patch of slime for every 5 feet of its face. I assume then that a 5x5 creature would take 1d6 con damage a round

Correct.

while a 10x10 creature would take 2d6 con damage a round.

No, 4d6 (four 5-foot squares).

How would that affect a 5x10 creature?

2d6 (two 5-foot squares).

Also, does that creature take the con damage immediately in the first round?

Yes, and extra damage each round on the caster's turn (unless the slime is removed).

That certainly makes it a very deadly spell for its level IMO. The fact that it requires a Ref save and allows no SR is extremely powerful. That's the official response tho'...

-Ryan

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Hmm, interesting responses. I wrote him asking about "damage per round" stuff in general. I'm curious how he is going to reconcile Stirge with Green Slime...

Thanks for the post though,

Jeremy

Explorer
My guess is that he'll say, green slime does damage on contact because touching it is harmful to you, hence it is immediate. As is lava, etc.

The touch or even impaling of a stirge's needle is not inherently damaging to your blood (though having holes punched in you is never recommended!), and it is up the the stirge next round to physically suction the blood out of you as an action.

Of course, since the Sage agreed with me on the slime, the law of averages states that I'm going to be completely off on my stirge guess. :)

But that's my guess anyways.

Remove ads