• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Slow status and non-speed based movement

TheEvil

Explorer
The slow effect states that your speed becomes 2, that it applies to all movement modes, and that you cannot increase your speed above 2. It also says that it does not effect push, pull, slide or teleportation.

How does this effect powers that allow you to move as part of them that are not based on your speed?

For example, Angelic Alacrity (Avenger Encounter Power Level 1) allows me to shift 2 squares before attacking, or 1+Dex Mod if I have the Censure of Pursuit. No where in the power does it even mention speed, so can I go the full distance (6 for my character) or only 2?

This came up in tonight's game and after hearing the Slow Status entry, the GM ruled I could move the full distance.

How have other GMs/groups dealt with this issue?

Mr. Teapot

First Post
I think that you still get the full movement, but have no particular rules citation to back that up. So I might easily be wrong.

It's worth noting that it's pretty easy to have a character getting a higher move from such a power than their regular movement. A dwarven Avenger at level 14 might still have the power, and have a 20 Dex. So their regular speed is 5, but Angelic Alacrity lets them shift 6. Are they capped at 5 for some reason? I don't think so, but don't know for sure.

DracoSuave

First Post
SLOWED

Your speed becomes 2. This speed applies to all your movement modes, but it does not apply to teleportation or to a pull, a push, or a slide. You can’t increase your speed above 2, and your speed doesn’t increase if it was lower than 2. If you’re slowed while moving, stop moving if you have already moved 2 or more squares.

So, let's see.

'Shift your speed'-- This is affected by the slowed condition. You only shift 2.
'Teleport your speed'-- This is NOT affected by the slowed condition. Teleportation is explicitly excluded from slowed's effects.
'Push the target its speed'-- This is NOT affected by the slowed condition.
'You move the target its speed'-- This IS affected by the slowed condition.

Now for the tough one:

'You shift 7 squares'--

Let's say your speed is 6. You shift 7 squares.
What about if your speed is 5? You shift 7 squares.
And if it's somehow 4? 7 squares.

So, your speed DOES reduce down to 2. And you DO apply it... it just so happens that the speed stat is irrelevant to this effect, and so no matter how you apply it, it doesn't change anything.

The ONLY time slowed actually affects a 'shift X squares' power is when you have someone slow you during the shift (which isn't likely to happen). If they do so, the shift can still be cut short if you've shifted more than 2 squares.

DogBackward

First Post
'Teleport your speed'-- This is NOT affected by the slowed condition.
While this is technically true, I'd like to point out that I don't think it's what the rules intend. The "doesn't affect teleportation" seems to me to refer to the more common "teleport x squares". It should work that "teleport your speed" would reference your current speed. Which is 2.

But until the wording changes, you're correct here.

The ONLY time slowed actually affects a 'shift X squares' power is when you have someone slow you during the shift (which isn't likely to happen). If they do so, the shift can still be cut short if you've shifted more than 2 squares.
Again, by the wording this is correct, but it's obviously not meant to be that way. Why would an out-of-turn slow affect "shift x squares" while no other slow does? I think this is a mistake in the wording rather than the way it's supposed to be. But again, until the wording is changed...

Anyway, these are changes I make in my game, and they work just fine. For those DM's that might want a little more consistency in certain areas.

Remove ads