• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Small, cuddly, and explosive (comments appreciated)

ValarX

First Post
Orlic Pazafar said:
What benefit is there in having a PoePoe for a pet?

What do they eat?

If someone happens to incapacitate or kill one without it exploding, can any beneficial substances be extracted?

~Orlic

There really isn't any benefit to having one as a pet, but some people are strange. Who knows, maybe they like the sense of danger, or maybe they are just trying to impress their friends.

Their diet consists mainly of whatever green leafy things they can find, although berries are a special treat.

I imagine that if you extracted their adrenaline and managed to discover whatever other fluids inside their bodies reacted with it, you could create some sort of explosive mixture. Although, the benefit of such a mixture might not be worth the cost.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Those things would exist in my world for about 10 minutes before someone came up with a "daze poepoe" spell that acted at first as a Calm Animal, and then as an Emotion:Rage, with a keyword trigger.

"Yes, my adversary, you have tracked me back to my lair. But did you notice that you are knee-deep in ensorcled poepoes?"

-- Nifft

ValarX

First Post
Corlon said:

I like the idea, but what level summon monster spell would it require to summon a celestail poepoe?

This I'm not really sure about, Summon II or Summon III maybe? The only reason I think this is that the 6d6 would be a hard damage for any low level party to shrug off. Otherwise, the little guys aren't really that effective. Now I have images of someone summoning a group of four or five of the little guys and sending them down the hall just to find out if there really is anything dangerous down there. I'd have to figure out what the challenge rating for one of these would be before I could pin down a Summon level.

ValarX

First Post
Nifft said:
Those things would exist in my world for about 10 minutes before someone came up with a "daze poepoe" spell that acted at first as a Calm Animal, and then as an Emotion:Rage, with a keyword trigger.

"Yes, my adversary, you have tracked me back to my lair. But did you notice that you are knee-deep in ensorcled poepoes?"

-- Nifft

One of the reasons that I created this creature was just for that reason. So that characters could come up with the most inventive ways to use them to their advantage (and then find out that their adversaries have found even more inventive ones).

Nifft

Penguin Herder
ValarX said:
I'd have to figure out what the challenge rating for one of these would be before I could pin down a Summon level.

This is a VERY special case, since it replicates a Fireball spell. IMHO it shouldn't be summonable by any spell below 4th level -- otherwise, Clerics & Conjurers are infringing on one of the Evoker's crown jewels.

-- Nifft

Jeph

Explorer
Let's see, one of them with a summon monster I, so 1d4+1 with summon III, so 3.5 per round with a Power Stone: Time Stop, (5 rounds average), so 17-18 poepoes in their square, then some minor illusion spell...

BANG!

ValarX

First Post
Nifft said:

This is a VERY special case, since it replicates a Fireball spell. IMHO it shouldn't be summonable by any spell below 4th level -- otherwise, Clerics & Conjurers are infringing on one of the Evoker's crown jewels.

-- Nifft

Alright. So we'll go with Summon Monster IV that also makes it less likely that someone will call up an army of these little guys as mobile land mines. Anyone up for dire poepoes or maybe enlarged poepoes?

gamecat

Explorer
Sorry, but by the book, only Outsiders can be called with summon monster spells...

But a Hamtaro-shaped thermal detonator? COOL!!!

Moab

First Post
This is funny. I'd actually created a very similar creature. Instead of exploding when surprised or threatened, however, they released an arcane spell that had been stored in them. I used them in an enemy alchemist's lab. Basically, you could store any spell of third level or lower in them. If the spell needed a target, it would be centered on the creature. Normally, the spell would be fireball, but I found Balagarn's Iron Horn (from Magic of Faerun) to be a fun, less devastating alternative.

The creatures I created, however, were fine sized, so they were hard to target from a distance. And I never detailed their breeding habits.

I really like your poepoes. I much prefer interesting magical beasts to the run of the mill monsters that are so common. If you don't mind, I'd like to use your creation in an upcoming adventure.

Thanks and good work.

ValarX

First Post
Moab said:

I really like your poepoes. I much prefer interesting magical beasts to the run of the mill monsters that are so common. If you don't mind, I'd like to use your creation in an upcoming adventure.

Feel free to. That's what it is here for. And I hope that you enjoy using the new creature in your campaign.

Remove ads