• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(small) essentials rules change

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
I just happened to come across the new rules for finding magic items in the RC. In the PHB in order to detect magic you have to be trained in arcana and the DC is 20+1/2 the items level to detect it. In the RC it's a hard DC based on your level and you pick up everything in range regardless of level. If the items is 5+ levels below you then you don't even have to roll, you automatically detect it.

It's not an earth shattering change but I hadn't seen it mentioned yet so I thought I'd point it out.

nookiemonster

First Post
Makes it easier to spot magic items hidden by the DM. In some of the adventures, items are hidden in piles of rubble or underneath straw in a stable, places where the players may not think to look.

GRStrayton

First Post
Just to be clear, you do have to be trained in order to Detect Magic according to Heroes of the Fallen Lands. However, they also changed "Sense the Presence of Magic" from 1 minute in the PHB to a standard action in HotFL.

Makes it easier to spot magic items hidden by the DM. In some of the adventures, items are hidden in piles of rubble or underneath straw in a stable, places where the players may not think to look.

So the WOTC answer to players who cannot be bothered to actually explore the game environment is to make sure all the loot twinkles with little sparkles so everyone knows what to click on. :hmm:

No Thanks.

MrMyth

First Post
So the WOTC answer to players who cannot be bothered to actually explore the game environment is to make sure all the loot twinkles with little sparkles so everyone knows what to click on. :hmm:

No Thanks.

Agreed - allowing PCs to find treasure by rolling a d20 and adding their Arcana skill based on Intelligence instead of rolling a d20 and adding their Search skill based on Intelligence is completely unreasonable, and a clear sign that they have reduced all the complexity of this rich and flavorful RPG to the mundane simplicity of a video game.*

Seriously, though - the game has always had two approaches, one more focused on player skill and one on character skill. Some groups find it fun to have players specify where and how they search, and allow them to find items in that fashion. Other groups figure that half the point of playing an imaginary hero is that the hero is skilled at a lot of things the player isn't, and thus prefers to let the hero's +30 Search or Arcana check let him find the treasure.

It's the same issue I've run into with traps. I've played a skilled Rogue with a lot invested in being able to find and disable traps. And occasionally run into DMs who nonetheless insist on me describing exactly how he goes about doing so, and if I say anything wrong, the trap goes off anyone. But I'm not a rogue in real life! I don't know all the fancy tricks that my character does. Forcing me to hobble his trapfinding skill because I'm not a thief in real life is about as reasonable as insisting the fighter's player physically demonstrate his swordsmanship before he can attack an orc.

Being able to solve things in character isn't about making things more video-gamey. It's about focusing the game on character skill over player skill, which in some ways is even more an investment in roleplaying. Now not every group wants that approach, and if a DM and players want a game that is more driven by player skill, they can easily make that happen. But dismissing other approaches as simply a video game is, honestly, in pretty poor form.

If that isn't the issue, and you really are concerned about what skill one is adding to a d20 when they search the room for treasure, then I'm really not sure what to say.

*Note - I don't actually believe this.

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer

No Thanks.

And this is what house rules are for. You don't like the change, don't use it.

There are a ton of little changes I that I have been stumbling across in RC, like Monster Knowledge checks are now either Medium DC (Name, Type, Inclination, and Keywords) or Hard DC (Vulnerabilities, Resistances, and what power do) based upon the level of the creature.

Lore checks seem to be the same.

In all I like this change as it makes the checks scale with level.

My two coppers,

Agreed - allowing PCs to find treasure by rolling a d20 and adding their Arcana skill based on Intelligence instead of rolling a d20 and adding their Search skill based on Intelligence is completely unreasonable, and a clear sign that they have reduced all the complexity of this rich and flavorful RPG to the mundane simplicity of a video game.*

Seriously, though - the game has always had two approaches, one more focused on player skill and one on character skill. Some groups find it fun to have players specify where and how they search, and allow them to find items in that fashion. Other groups figure that half the point of playing an imaginary hero is that the hero is skilled at a lot of things the player isn't, and thus prefers to let the hero's +30 Search or Arcana check let him find the treasure.

It's the same issue I've run into with traps. I've played a skilled Rogue with a lot invested in being able to find and disable traps. And occasionally run into DMs who nonetheless insist on me describing exactly how he goes about doing so, and if I say anything wrong, the trap goes off anyone. But I'm not a rogue in real life! I don't know all the fancy tricks that my character does. Forcing me to hobble his trapfinding skill because I'm not a thief in real life is about as reasonable as insisting the fighter's player physically demonstrate his swordsmanship before he can attack an orc.

Being able to solve things in character isn't about making things more video-gamey. It's about focusing the game on character skill over player skill, which in some ways is even more an investment in roleplaying. Now not every group wants that approach, and if a DM and players want a game that is more driven by player skill, they can easily make that happen. But dismissing other approaches as simply a video game is, honestly, in pretty poor form.

If that isn't the issue, and you really are concerned about what skill one is adding to a d20 when they search the room for treasure, then I'm really not sure what to say.

*Note - I don't actually believe this.

Why have a game environment? Why bother mentioning the furnishings of a room or describing contents of anything?

DM: " You find a small room. In the room is a....."

Rogue: "Yeah yeah yeah, whatever. I search the place top to bottom....I got a 35! "

DM: " you found a ring worth 1500 gp"

Rogue: " Sweet. I take it and leave."

DM: " No problem".

.............sometime a short while later..............

DM: " the guards pass by the dark alcove you hid in but a frantic search is underway."

Rogue: " How did they find out there was an intruder so fast?"

DM: " The ring was sewn inside a pillow. Your search was so good it was childs play cutting it open to find the ring. The torn open pillow was kind of a dead giveaway."

Rogue: " What pillow? "

DM:" The one on the bed belonging to the captain of the guard, hand stitched by his now deceased wife." :eek:

As you can see, just throwing out a DC to speed things up without so much environmental interaction can lead to all kinds of assumptions. What does finding a well hidden object mean? How much impact does finding it have on the rest of the game?

The skill of the character to find almost anything can cause issues if the specifics are glossed over. Telling the player to roll then informing him/her of success tells us nothing.

Having a player describe actions in more detail doesn't have to mean the skills of the character are ignored. What if the difficulty of finding something depended on a combination of player effort and character skill?

Lets say the DC for a general " I search" was 25 but actually mentioning examining the pillow (which had a detailed description) lowered the DC to 20 or even 15 which would reveal that there was something small and not too fluffy inside. The player then decides what becomes of the pillow.

Note that saying " I check out that fancy pillow" in no way requires the player to be an expert rogue IRL but it does require him/her to actually pay attention to the in-game surroundings and deal with them. If the players don't care about the game environment or find it boring we can skip to the fast forward gloss over version outlined above.

MrMyth

First Post
Why have a game environment? Why bother mentioning the furnishings of a room or describing contents of anything?

Sometimes it is nice to describe a room in rich and flavorful detail. Sometimes you don't want to wait twenty minutes while the players ask for quotes from every book in the evil wizard's library while searching for a clue.

In my games, I tend to try and accomodate both styles at the same time. You can describe the room, and if a player actively says they are looking in the right location, they find the treasure. If a player doesn't do so, but says their character is searching the place, and rolls well, then they can also find the treasure.

DM: " You find a small room. In the room is a....."

Rogue: "Yeah yeah yeah, whatever. I search the place top to bottom....I got a 35! "

DM: " you found a ring worth 1500 gp"

Rogue: " Sweet. I take it and leave."

DM: " No problem".

Yeah, I'm gonna call BS on this example. You could just as easily have that search check reveal that there is a pillow that is unusually heavy, and then the player has to make the call whether to open it up or not, and how.

More on the actual point - again, this isn't anything new to D&D. You are complaining about this, using specific "Diablo-style" imagery, as though WotC is somehow making this into a video game. But this example shows that D&D has long been able to reduce searching a room to a dice roll, or to Detect Magic, or whatever.

Regardless of which method is used, the fact that I can now make an Arcana check to sense a magic item in a pillow has nothing to do with an example in which the DM just decides that by detecting magic, I've automatically decided I will tear open the pillow and take the item without even informing me of doing so, and then later visit consequences upon me for such an action.

As you can see, just throwing out a DC to speed things up without so much environmental interaction can lead to all kinds of assumptions. What does finding a well hidden object mean? How much impact does finding it have on the rest of the game?

I just don't see any way in which that skill check and a simple DC is tied to the DM making a ludicrous assumption about a player's actions. If there is a genuine need to know how a player is searching, the DM to ask to try and know more. If the player succeeds on a search and finds something out of place, there is no reason the DM shouldn't ask how they want to proceed, rather than making those problematic assumptions.

The skill of the character to find almost anything can cause issues if the specifics are glossed over. Telling the player to roll then informing him/her of success tells us nothing.

So you genuinely feel that if I, as a DM, have a player announce that he is searching a room, he rolls a Search check, and I think inform him of whatever interesting things he finds, I am doing something wrong?

Look, I have NO PROBLEM with a game where players describe actions in more detail. I think that is a reasonable and legitimate style of play. But you aren't trying to convince me that is acceptable - you are trying to convince me that is the only way to play, or that doing anything less is video-gamey.

And that's not cool. That's level of elitism is an attitude that is far more of a bane on the hobby than anything WotC has ever done.

Lets say the DC for a general " I search" was 25 but actually mentioning examining the pillow (which had a detailed description) lowered the DC to 20 or even 15 which would reveal that there was something small and not too fluffy inside. The player then decides what becomes of the pillow.

As I mentioned above, that's my preferred method - taking it even a step farther, actually, as if a player looks carefully enough they might find something without needing to roll at all.

But that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them not being able to notice, as a player, what unusual object they need to investigate, and wanting to roll the dice and rely on their character's capability to find something.

More than that, let's bring the point back to your actual complaint - the ability to do so not just with physical searching, but with Detect Magic. Where is the problem with this? I've seen people using Detect Magic to find treasure for years. I've seen it mocked as a classic D&Dism in Knights of the Dinner Table. So why the need to remark on it as something new that WotC is doing to turn D&D into a video game??

Remove ads