• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Small Question: Labyrinth

Baileyborough

First Post
I'm gearing up to run this playtest soon, but one of the things I'm having trouble understanding is the Minotaur labyrinth in the game.

The rules about running the curse are quite vague etc, and I understand this is due to them giving DMs more power, but I'm just lost in running this curse.

How would YOU do it?

C.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
It's the old Maze spell. It's an illusion/phantasm in some versions, a teleportation to an extraplanar microcosm in others.

Think of it like a delaying effect. Until the DC 15 Saving Throw is made their daily resources (food, water, sleep, etc.) are used up. Mapping can be done, but they are trapped in a never ending maze (real or imagined). A save returns them (or their perception) to reality.

How would I do it?

I would make it a never ending maze that is all illusory and that PCs must save against or leave the effected area to escape (or kill the minotaur). When navigating the maze becomes so obviously fake to the players they will likely start asking to disbelieve. Then they can camp until one person makes his or her save and be led out or use the real maze's walls to help the others out with their saves. If any creatures in the vicinity are encountered, treat them as perceivably within the illusion (not invisible). Track the PCs movement in case their chosen movement removes them from the area early.

Last edited:

Old school method: every time the PCs announce which way they go at an intersection, randomly determine which way they *actually* go. Keep it up until they escape, or get wise and start marking intersections or putting down markers or string to mark their path. Of course, the monsters might decide to move their markers ...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads