• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Small unit mass combat system?

Lauguz

Explorer
Publisher
Next week I'm running a session in which the PCs will lead a small force of troops against another small force. There will be about two dozen combatants on each side. Using straight D&D this is going to be slow and a bit of a pain, however mass combat systems like Fields of Blood seem geared towards battles involving hundreds and thousands of combatants. Anyone have any suggestions for a rules set or system mods I can use to streamline the combat?

Narfellus

First Post
skirmish

Rosenet said:
Next week I'm running a session in which the PCs will lead a small force of troops against another small force. There will be about two dozen combatants on each side. Using straight D&D this is going to be slow and a bit of a pain, however mass combat systems like Fields of Blood seem geared towards battles involving hundreds and thousands of combatants. Anyone have any suggestions for a rules set or system mods I can use to streamline the combat?

YEah, check out Skip William's Cry Havoc (pdf and print) or the WotC Miniatures Handbook. Both have detailed systems for small and large combat. I like Cry Havoc better, but it can still get plenty complicated. Borrow brain power from your players regardless of which system you choose.

Remove ads