• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Smashing Ioun Stones

Azazu

First Post
Th eSRD says that Ioun Stones have a AC of 24, 10 Hit points and hardness 5.

Does that mean that all one has to do to destroy the Ioun Stone is hit its AC, and damage it enough to destroy it??

Does any other rules come into this??

thanks

The Souljourner

First Post
That's the way all magic items work - do enough damage and they're destroyed. Ioun stones are a special case only because they're not being worn, so they're a lot easier to hit (worn items in general can't be hit, and held items require a sunder attempt). It's one of their drawbacks (along with making you look ridiculous, with these planetoids orbiting around you).

-The Souljourner

Delemental

First Post
The Souljourner said:
It's one of their drawbacks (along with making you look ridiculous, with these planetoids orbiting around you).

True that, but fortunately invisibility can be made permanent on objects. Makes it kind of a pain for the user to find them, too, but that's what see invisibility is for.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
The Souljourner said:
That's the way all magic items work - do enough damage and they're destroyed. Ioun stones are a special case only because they're not being worn, so they're a lot easier to hit (worn items in general can't be hit, and held items require a sunder attempt). It's one of their drawbacks (along with making you look ridiculous, with these planetoids orbiting around you).

Is that a 3.5ism? I thought that in 3.0 you could smash worn items, it is just that you provoke an AoO for attemptig to do so. As a not-worn item there would be no AoO for an Ioun Stone.

Felix

Explorer
Unless you had the Improved Sunder feat, I would say that it will incur an AoO. Although Improved Sunder only mentions executing the Sunder action, and striking a worn or carried object is not strictly under the sunder rules. Other than that, I think it falls directly under "Striking a worn or carried object", even though it is neither.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
I just merged this with the other duplicate thread; hopefully I didn't screw up the merge. :)
Daniel

Last edited:

Gort

Explorer
Using the magic item creation rules, simply make something else that's slotless with an identical effect. Same cost, and without the vulnerability.

My character, for instance, has magical tattoos that replicate some low-level effects.

dcollins

Explorer
Gort said:
Using the magic item creation rules, simply make something else that's slotless with an identical effect. Same cost, and without the vulnerability.

Not rules, guidelines. The DM is under no obligation to provide an item for the "same cost, and without the vulnerability". In fact, he shouldn't.

Remove ads