• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SmokeSticks

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The SRD text:

Smokestick: This alchemically treated wooden stick instantly creates thick, opaque smoke when ignited. The smoke fills a 10- foot cube (treat the effect as a fog cloud spell, except that a moderate or stronger wind dissipates the smoke in 1 round). The stick is consumed after 1 round, and the smoke dissipates naturally.

and for additional reference, the Fog Cloud spell text:

Fog Cloud
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Drd 2, Sor/Wiz 2, Water 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft. level)
Effect: Fog spreads in 20-ft. radius, 20 ft. high
Duration: 10 min./level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
A bank of fog billows out from the point you designate. The fog obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. A creature within 5 feet has concealment (attacks have a 20% miss chance). Creatures farther away have total concealment (50% miss chance, and the attacker can’t use sight to locate the target).
A moderate wind (11+ mph) disperses the fog in 4 rounds; a strong wind (21+ mph) disperses the fog in 1 round.
The spell does not function underwater.

Question 1: How long does the smoke last, assuming the conditions are such that there's bad ventillation (like a room in a dungeon)?

The Smokestick text says it "The stick is consumed after 1 round, and the smoke dissipates naturally." and also says "a moderate or stronger wind dissipates the smoke in 1 round". This seems to imply to me that, while the stick is consumed in one round, "disipat[ing] naturally" takes longer than one round unless there is a moderate or stronger wind. So, how long does the smoke last?

Question 2: Sneak Attacks and Cover from a Smokestick

Assume you are a rogue that lights a smokestick, creating a 10-foot area of smoke that provides cover. Can this smoke be used to create an easier opportunity to make a sneak attack? And if so, how?

For example, your target is one square outside the area of smoke. You stand 10 feet away from your target (in the smoke), which puts enough smoke between you and your target to provide total concealment. You hide. You then hide and move silently 5 feet closer, putting you next to your target but still in the area of the smoke, and attack the target. Can you get a sneak attack this way?

Question 3: Can spring attack be used with a smokestick's cover (assuming the smoke lasts more than one round) to gain sneak attacks in multiple rounds? And if so, how?

For example if you had spring attack, could you move while hiding, attack with a sneak attack, and then move back 5 feet again and regain total concealment for yet another hide-move-sneak-attack next round (assumig the target stays where they are)?

Question 4: What are some creative ways people have used SmokeSticks in their games?

Last edited:

Quidam

First Post
Mistwell said:
Question 1: How long does the smoke last, assuming the conditions are such that there's bad ventillation (like a room in a dungeon)?

Since all we've got to go on is 'it's like this spell except in this way', I'd say use the spell's duration at the minimum caster level.

Mistwell said:
Question 2: Sneak Attacks and Cover from a Smokestick

You mean concealement in all these cases. What you describe sounds reasonable to me, but I'm curious to see how others weigh in.

Mistwell said:
Question 4: What are some creative ways people have used SmokeSticks in their games?

Haven't seen any yet, but looks like I'm about to! :p

Stalker0

Legend
The question is, if your in the smoke and your target is just 5 feet out of the smoke, do they have concealment against you? Rogues can't SA a target that has concealment.

Jhulae

First Post
The smokestick itself is consumed in one round, when it's creating the smoke. That prevents characters from making lots of smoke from just one smokestick. Basically, it's a one use item.

The smoke that it's created, in the 10x10 area, stays around until it dissipates naturally, which in windy conditions is quickly. In not so windy conditions, it would last for a while longer.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
As for interesting uses ... we're higher-level character (14th level) that have been getting repeatedly pounded by Dispel Magic from multiple mooks. We're thinking of using them to get Dispel-proof concealment to block LoS.

--fje

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I think that's a good idea, to use them for dispel-proof concealment.

Of course, then you need to know how long the smoke lasts of course.

Isn't there a smoke-bomb in one of these books that says how long smoke lasts in poorly ventilated areas?

I mean heck, even outdoors I've seen fireworks leave thick smoke in an outdoor area for a couple of minutes.

Krel

First Post
Interesting ideas?

Throw smokesticks while inside a creature. Don't no how that would work, though. Sounds fun.

Aries_Omega

Explorer
Love 'em smoke sticks

Most people in my group are vets and we know how effective "popping smoke" can be. All characters have a ranged weapon, melee weapon and several grenade type weapons. If we ambush we like to toss the smoke so that it is in front of their direction of travel and the rear of that and use ranged attacks to cause them to run into the smoke. If they go forward they hit some kind of obstacle. If they retreat there is people waiting for that. The whole "L" shaped ambush is awesome and even experianced tacticians have trouble fighing against it.

Vraister

First Post
Hi,

my druid used Smokesticks with the 0 level spell 'Fire Eyes' from MotW. The spell lets you see through non magical smoke and fog as if it wasn't there. Together they would give me concealment and non for my opponents.

Vraister

Quidam

First Post
Stalker0 said:
The question is, if your in the smoke and your target is just 5 feet out of the smoke, do they have concealment against you? Rogues can't SA a target that has concealment.

This is really a key point. I'm sure it's come up before, but does concealment hinge on the observer being in the smoke, the observed, or both? Or either? My initial take would be either. If you're in the smoke then "a creature within 5 feet has concealment (attacks have a 20% miss chance)."

I could easily be convinced, though, should someone have a pertinent rules citation.

Remove ads