• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Smudges - All Core books

SaffroN

First Post
I've got the wavy pages but I don't yet have the smudging *fingers crossed*.

My books seem fine so far, I just hope they stay that way.

RSKennan

Explorer
I had wavy pages, and after leaving the PHB and DMG open overnight to hold my place, they each had trouble closing. No smudging, though. I put heavier books on top of the books, and now they're as good as when I bought them. I don't foresee keeping my finger on a spot in the book for a long time, so I think they'll be fine. I might buy the deluxe version (or whatever it's called), though, and hopefully they won't have any of the reported problems.

Nytmare

David Jose
RSKennan said:
I might buy the deluxe version (or whatever it's called), though, and hopefully they won't have any of the reported problems.
Is the deluxe version the boxed set? If so, they are both wavey and smudgey.

I used a book press on the three books and that helped a lot, but I'm thinking that the smudging is just something I'm going to have to live with.

RSKennan

Explorer
Nytmare said:
Is the deluxe version the boxed set? If so, they are both wavey and smudgey.

I used a book press on the three books and that helped a lot, but I'm thinking that the smudging is just something I'm going to have to live with.

No; I could be wrong, but I thought I had heard an even better set was coming out in October or so. I'm guessing they'll be finely bound and maybe leather or something.

Hussar

Legend
I gotta ask again, cos this confuses me. How do you guys read a book? Why are you touching the text at all, let alone touching it enough to smudge? It's a pretty big book, I'd assume you'd hold it side to side, holding the edges of the page down with your thumbs.

How are you smudging the text? I'm not saying that the text cannot be smudged, I'm just really curious how you are physically reading.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
You never place your finger on a page and trace across when reading tables or other formatted sections that are hard to keep track of?

I do all the time.

DS

Anthraxus

Explorer
My PHB-
Warping: not really warped
Smudging: more than once, moderate to severe smudging.

Haven't had smudging like this from my 1E-3.5E books.

Kunimatyu

First Post
I'm just surprised that WotC gambled on a corebook printing like this. You don't want tons of people returning your flagship product.

Scott, I appreciate your email to your book guy, but he was clearly covering his ass -- the books aren't up to the standards of 3.5 PHBs, plain and simple.

Bagpuss

Legend
Smudging but only after a bit of rubbing, not yet noticed it with normal handling. I can do the same with my 3.5 books if I rub them.

Warped, all the books have wavy pages no where near the quality of 3rd Ed books. Covers are not warped although they do flare out some what due to the waviness of the paper.

I'll live with it but it is disappointing.

It's also disappointing that some of the art is poor (anything by Anne Stokes), and others is badly trimmed art from other publications (Human Race illustrations for example). Some of it is fantastic as well.

Remove ads