• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Snakebit group?

I need a bit of game-related counseling here, I think. I'll try to not ramble on too much.

I just got an email from a guy who's been DMing a campaign for our little once-a-week D&D group. I don't actually know him all that well "IRL," even though I helped him move and I've gamed with him for parts of a couple years now, but I know that he's been going through some hard times, and his annoucement today that he was suspending his playing and DMing for (at leeast) the rest of the summer was a little surprising, but maybe not much, under the circumstances.

I understand that people have busy lives, that gaming isn't and shouldn't always be a priority, and all that, and I'm not upset with this DM (although I was having fun, and I'll miss the character I was playing if we don't get back to it, as it looks like we won't).

But I have to put this in the context of how this group's gone. I helped form a group with this DM midsummer last year with the intent to run Age of Worms. I would DM, he'd play, and we'd find some other players, which we did. It was my first foray into 3.5 DMing, which he knew, and although I sunk a lot of prep time into it, it wasn't quite going as well as I'd wanted it to. Suffice it to say that after about three sessions, I was informed by this guy that, more or less, my DMing services were no longer wanted. It hurt; I won't lie. And I skipped the next session, but I've (mostly) come to terms with it and found it to be the best decision, though I still don't like how it was handed to me, and the reasons I was given for it were less than completely honest. (Though this was never mentioned, I'd ended up killing his housemate's character, and the housemate more or less stomped out and said he wouldn't continue. It was a bad kill on my part, but the response was irritating.)

Anyway, like I said, I mostly got over that, and, lo and behold, the housemate was back playing again, with my cofounder DMing. I went back to playing and had a pretty good time, but the homebrew campaign ended prematurely due mainly to personal reasons on the DM's part. Sometime along the way, the housemate had dropped out anyway.

To speed this up a bit, one of the other players took over DMing, and he ran two abortive FR campaigns before annoucning earlier this summer that he and his wife, who was also playing but who'd stopped coming recently, were taking the summer (at least) off. By this time, we'd brought a couple of other people in, so we weren't down to zero, but we'd lost three of the more-or-less original group in less than a year. We started up Shackled City, got through several weeks of that, and then this.

So, here's the rub. I've enjoyed playing, I've liked the individual members of the group, but I'm (maybe selfishly) frustrated that things are, once again, not working out, and I'm leery about resuming playing with this group should it ever re-form. Not sure if I'm asking for anything here, but ... is my experience *kind* of extreme, even for a group of busy adult gamers? I feel like this group is snakebit.

BlackMoria

First Post
Life happens. It sucks sometimes but it is what it is.

Your group's circumstances means that any 'long term' campaign like Shackled City and AoW is most likely doomed to never to see completion. This is probably one source of your frustration.

The dynamic of your group means that your group should stick to short term campaigns and one shots. And there is nothig wrong with short term campaigns and one shots. I once played with a group that played published adventures with no continuity between the adventures. Not a ideal campaign but given the circumstances with everyone busy (one didn't know who would show up for a session), it was still enjoyable in its own right.

Maybe at some point circumstances will change that will allow a long term campaign but life trumps gaming. Accept it and work with what you got.

bento

Explorer
I think the situation is salvagable but you need to get some honest feedback from the group.
What do they want?
What do they consider fun and what's a waste of time?
What do they expect the DM to bring to the game?
What level of commitment do they expect to show?
What style of play are they looking for?

Take all this into consideration and talk to your group about drafting a Social Contract. This contract is between all the players and lays out big things like style of game and how long it will run, as well as mundane things like what to do if you can't make it. See http://www.treasuretables.org/wiki/index.php?title=Social_Contract for details.

I also wouldn't be too down on yourself on your prior DM experience. You may have been doing a good job, but the person who's character died might have been too immature to handle it and was seeking revenge by getting the group to sack you.

Keep working at it and I really think things will work out. It just takes a little introspection and a lot of communications!

Thanks to the both of you. Good advice. I think I wanted a long, sustained game, and maybe everyone did, too, but life wouldn't accommodate. Maybe things'll change, but the idea of doing one-shots or smaller arcs makes some good sense.

As an aside, I used to DM 1e and early 2e, but I'll admit that I was underprepared for DMing 3.5. I hadn't played 3.5 in a while, and even before then hadn't played much of it. Without going into the debate of whether 3.5 makes DMing too hard, I'll just say that it was probably too hard for me at that moment. I kinda wish the player leaving had been addressed directly as a reason, but I'm not very good at being that direct about interpersonal things myself, so I can understand it not being.

Mycanid

First Post
I feel for you Monk ... "the best laid plans of mice and men" and all that.

But perhaps the time off in the short run may do them better as a family and thus, heighten your rp'ing xp together in the long run?

You're right about 3.5 dm'ing though ... it needs a little more preparation than the good ole days of 1e. :) I just finished writing up a single "module" and it is literally over 300 handwritten pages! Yeesh. But the details can help the rp experience, so I think it's worth it.

Harmon

First Post
Sense around 1980 I have had the pleasure to game with more then two dozen people, more then three regular groups. The last seventeen with the same four- our group is changing, a member is going to Vegas, my wife and I have a daughter (whom takes up a lot of our time), and our GM seems to have found another group to GM and Play with though he continues to come over on Saturdays and game.

Life happens, and all things happen for a reason, though they might not be so obvious right now. Be patient, wait for the world to explain itself, but do not expect that explination.

Your friend might just need some time, a phone call, a couple of lunches, basically your time away from the gaming table. If a real life friendship blossoms then follow through, if not then find another group, take whom ever you want with you to the new group and have fun. Life is about change.

Best of luck :D

Remove ads