• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sneak attack and hunter's quarry

fabneme

First Post
Well, I have a question.

Let's assume that the PC is a rogue who took the ranger multiclass feat warrior of the wild, that allows him to use hunter's quarry once per encounter.

Let's assume that I designate kobold X as my quarry and there's ally of the PC that gives the rogue a flanking position.

Obviously I attack and I hit. Since I'm in flanking position, I can deliver a sneak attack to the poor kobold X. But, since kobold X is also my quarry, can I add the hunter's quarry dice to the damage and deal an obscene amount of damage to the poor kobold X?

Duelpersonality

First Post
Once per fight, yes. This can make for an extremely effective alpha strike, especially for a rogue with a high initiatve mod. Pick up Backstabber (and even Lethal Hunter as there aren't a ton of great options for feats at the Heroic Tier) and the damage can be up to 24 just from extra striker damage by level 2 (if you're a human, that is).

DeathMutant

First Post
Up to twice per fight, actually: once on the turn you declare your quarry, and once on your next turn, before the effect ends.

I was under the impression that Hunter's Quarry does not end until 1) The quarry was dead or 2) The encounter ends; whichever comes first. There is another option, 3) When another target is marked, but that does not apply to a multi-classed Ranger because they can only mark once an encounter.

Kitsune

Explorer
I was under the impression that Hunter's Quarry does not end until 1) The quarry was dead or 2) The encounter ends; whichever comes first. There is another option, 3) When another target is marked, but that does not apply to a multi-classed Ranger because they can only mark once an encounter.

When multiclassing into Ranger, the Hunter's Quarry ends at the end of the marker's next turn. It's in the errata documents, preventing someone from marking the solo at the start of the fight and getting ten rounds of quarry damage in exchange for one feat.

DeathMutant

First Post
Perhaps there is more errata than what I posted below but I do not see anything that limits the number of rounds the quarry is effective.

Hunter’s Quarry [Revision/Addition]
Player’s Handbook, page 104
In the first paragraph, replace “enemy nearest to you” with “nearest enemy to you that you can see.”

Replace the first sentence of the second paragraph with the following: “Once per round, when you hit your quarry with an attack, the attack deals extra damage based on your level.”

Add the following sentence at the end of the second paragraph: “If you have dealt Hunter’s Quarry damage since the start of your turn, you cannot deal it again until the start of your next turn.”

EDIT: nm, I found it!

Warrior of the Wild [Addition]
Player’s Handbook, page 208
Add the following sentence to the end of the second paragraph of the benefit
section: “The target you designate as your quarry remains your quarry until the
end of your next turn.”

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads