• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sneak Attack Damage

TeflonBilly

First Post
I was trying to figure whether or not the rogues sneak attack damage applies to each of the rogues attacks or not. so if i had 3 2 attacks a round and 1 from rapidshot, would i get my sneak attack damage for each of them or only for the first one?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
You get sneak attack damage on any attack that qualifies as a sneak attack against a creature that is not immune.

There is no limit on the number per round.

Not that certain attack forms, like shuriken or Manyshot, count as one 'attack' despite multiple impacts, and only the first is eligible for SA damage... but that's a special case.

-Hyp.

evilericuk

First Post
it depends on the situation

if you get flank attacks then sneak attack damage is added to every attack

also if you catch the opponent flat-footed then you get your sneak attack damage to all your attacks (we found this too powerful so we introduced a house rule where your second was half your initiative and third was quarter and so on, however, if your second attack goes before the opponents first action then you still get your sneak attack damage)

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
TeflonBilly, I sent you an email but you didn't reply. Please email me (there is a link under this post.) We already have a Teflon Billy here on this site, and I need you to please pick a new user name.

Thanks!

SimonMoon5

First Post
Yeah, you get sneak attack damage with every attack that qualifies as a sneak attack. However, using Rapid Shot suggests that you want to make ranged sneak attacks, for which opportunities are less likely to occur than with melee attacks. You can of course sneak attack when your opponent is flat-footed, but you can't flank with ranged attacks, so you probably won't get to sneak attack for the rest of the round with ranged attacks, unless you use spells like Improved Invisiblity or Blink.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
You can of course sneak attack when your opponent is flat-footed, but you can't flank with ranged attacks, so you probably won't get to sneak attack for the rest of the round with ranged attacks, unless you use spells like Improved Invisiblity or Blink.

The rest of the round? Do you mean the rest of the combat?

An opponent is flat-footed until their first turn in a combat. If the rogue gains surprise, he can make a Sneak Attack in the surprise round (plus Haste, maybe). If he also wins intitiative, then in the first full round, he can make a full attack - maybe two shots plus Rapid Shot (plus Haste, maybe), all with Sneak Attack damage. Then, when the opponent take his first action in the combat, he is no longer flat-footed, and the Rogue may have to rethink his tactics.

-Hyp.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Piratecat said:
TeflonBilly, I sent you an email but you didn't reply. Please email me (there is a link under this post.) We already have a Teflon Billy here on this site, and I need you to please pick a new user name.

Thanks!

And I wondered where his signature has gone. And his post count.... :D

For sneak attacks: you'll want to do it in melee, with flanking (maybe two-weapon fighting, too) rather than with ranged weapons, since they will know where you are after the first shot and then you can forget the rest. You could, of course, somehow get improved invisibility to be hidden even after the first attack, and AFAIK you can remain in hiding even after you attack. With a -20 penalty on your hide check, that is (might still be enough with a dumb enemy, or with a really good hide bonus!)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads