Sneak Attack - how often can you use it?

Coredump

Explorer
HellHound said:
I agree that the number given by coredump is off.

For 5x5 creatures, the potential is half of what was listed I believe, at 1,440 damage.

Only if you measure from center of square to center. But since you measure from the intersection.... and only have to touch the square to affect the creature inside.

Going from the intersection straight down a line, or at a 45 degree angle, either will affect 48 squares, not just 24. hence the 2880. (I believe you willl always affect 48 squares,regardless of angle, but I'm not positive.)

The Souljourner

First Post
Regardless.... to the original poster - you most definitely can use sneak attack as many times per round as you can make attacks. Sneak attack is something that you can choose to do if you are attacking someone under certain conditions. By far the most common are when you catch someone flat footed and/or are flanking someone.

Given the huge number of creatures who are immune to sneak attack, given that rogues have a mere 1d6 hitpoints, given that rogues have only 3/4 base attack bonus, given that rogues have reasonably low ACs... they're really definitely not that powerful in practice. Yes, sometimes the rogue will whip out a ton of sneak attacks and lay a huge smack down on someone... but most of the time they'll just be a handy addition to the party.

Really, making sneak attack only apply to one attack per round makes rogues almost useless. That's really all they've got going for them.

-The Souljourner

As a skilled rogue player the trick is to wait for the big guys to soften up the targets and then finish them off OR strike first and get out! Going toe toe with a fighter is suicide of the highest order unless there are two or more of you and only one of him. Taking on a cleric is tantamount to death by sandpaper and unless you get a really good strike on a high level mage, all you're doing is helping them choose who to kill first (ie YOU).

However, yes, you can do it as many times as you possibly can or in banter strike early, strike often and avoid the rush. :cool:

Staffan

Legend
Coredump said:
Going from the intersection straight down a line, or at a 45 degree angle, either will affect 48 squares, not just 24. hence the 2880. (I believe you willl always affect 48 squares,regardless of angle, but I'm not positive.)
It's trivially easy to prove that you can affect less than 48 squares. Make the line go 24 squares in one direction and one square orthagonal, like in the attached picture (but longer). It'll only affect 24 squares, plus maybe some more around the end-points.

Attachments

• bolt.gif
    bolt.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 41

Remove ads