• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sneak attack w/Ray of Frost?

BAW

First Post
wilder jw, Liquidsabre might have meant the remark literally.

I can't see a grenade-weapon being able to dance the jive particularly well.
Can you?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Thanee said:
FireLance, I really don't think splash weapons should do Sneak Attack damage. That doesn't seem to fit well.

Well, the splash damage is area-effect, and can't be used to sneak attack. But the direct damage fits all the requirements, doesn't it?

-Hyp.

FireLance

Legend
Thanee said:
FireLance, I really don't think splash weapons should do Sneak Attack damage. That doesn't seem to fit well.
Well, if you can sneak attack with acid splash, I don't see why you can't sneak attack with a vial of acid.

More to the point, the SRD (and the PHB glossary) defines splash weapons as ranged weapons:
SRD said:
THROW SPLASH WEAPON
A splash weapon is a ranged weapon that breaks on impact, splashing or scattering its contents over its target and nearby creatures or objects. To attack with a splash weapon, make a ranged touch attack against the target. Thrown weapons require no weapon proficiency, so you don’t take the –4 nonproficiency penalty. A hit deals direct hit damage to the target, and splash damage to all creatures within 5 feet of the target.
The only difference between splash weapons and other thrown weapons is that you don't add your strength bonus to the damage:
SRD said:
Thrown Weapons: Daggers, clubs, shortspears, spears, darts, javelins, throwing axes, light hammers, tridents, shuriken, and nets are thrown weapons. The wielder applies his or her Strength modifier to damage dealt by thrown weapons (except for splash weapons).
So, if a rogue can sneak attack with a dagger, dart or shuriken, he should be able to sneak attack with a vial of acid.

Remove ads