• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Sneak Attack with d8 or more WEAPON.

maritimo80

First Post
A thief can use sneak attack with a longbow (1d8)? Seems to me that Mike Mearls said in one of his interviews that sneak attack only with weapon until 1d6. Proceeds that?

maritimo80

First Post
So with any FINESS or Ranged weapon, he can?

This is the response from Mike:

Can be used for thrown weapons sneak attack damage? Seems to go against the qualifiers of being Ranged sneak attack-Finesse. Yes, they can. Basically, the DM feel free to let the rogue sneak attack anything que deals with the d6 or less. -M

Paraxis

Explorer
So with any FINESS or Ranged weapon, he can?

This is the response from Mike:

Can be used for thrown weapons sneak attack damage? Seems to go against the qualifiers of being Ranged sneak attack-Finesse. Yes, they can. Basically, the DM feel free to let the rogue sneak attack anything que deals with the d6 or less. -M

By raw you can only sneak attack with finesse melee weapons and ranged weapons.

What Mike is saying is it would be OK to allow someone to sneak attack with a spear, even though it is a melee thrown weapon because all it does is a d6 base damage.

In my games I allow sneak attacks with anything that can use dexterity to attack with, so if someone wants to be a spear using rogue then they need to take a level of monk.

Remove ads