• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Sneak attack with disadvantage plus advantage allowed?

auburn2

Adventurer
According to the PHB Rogues can get SA under a variety of circumstances if they do not have disadvantage. Disadvantage pretty much cancels all SAs.

What if they have both advantage and disadvantage. I know it is a normal attack roll in such a case, but does this cancel the "having disadvantage" rider that prohibits SA in all cases?

For example Rogue is blinded or piosoned but uses "steady aim" to cancel the disadvantage and get in SA (assumes ally near enemy or other thing that allows it).

Last edited:

According to the PHB Rogues can get SA under a variety of circumstances if they do not have disadvantage. Disadvantage pretty much cancels all SAs.

What if they have both advantage and disadvantage. I know it is a normal attack roll in such a case, but does this cancel the "having disadvantage" rider that goes with SA?

For example Rogue is blinded or piosoned but uses "steady aim" to cancel the disadvantage and get in SA.
I would say that getting Advantage would cancel Disadvantage and allow you to Sneak Attack - But only if you have another way of triggering it like an ally next to your target.
The Disadvantage would also cancel the Advantage, so you wouldn't automatically get SA.

SuperTD

Explorer
If you have both disadvantage and advantage, you are considered to have neither. Therefore, since you don't have disadvantage you can still get sneak attack if you have an ally adjacent to the target who is not incapacitated.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
For reference:
1611686292630.png

The "no disadvantage" clause pertains only if you don't have advantage and are relying instead on another enemy of your target (typically your own ally is that "other enemy")

If, for example, you are using the optional flanking rules and it is giving you advantage, I agree with the others that the advantage and disadvantage will cancel out.

More importantly is the ruling on advantage and disadvantage:
1611686523014.png

if you have "both", you are considered to have neither of them. This makes it pretty clear IMO that your scenario:

For example Rogue is blinded or piosoned but uses "steady aim" to cancel the disadvantage and get in SA (assumes ally near enemy or other thing that allows it).
would allow SA still. :)

Remove ads