• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sneak Attacks - Help?

Krauss von Espy

First Post
I may just be making this too hard, but my players and I have been unable to come to a well-supported consensus. So, I turn to the EN World community for help.

If a rogue can make multiple attack rolls as a full attack, and is in position to deal sneak attack damage, how does it work?

Do you add xd6 damage to every attack roll that hits? Or, do you just add xd6 one time after all the damage from all hits has been added up?

And, while we're at it....when do you multiply critical hit damage in the above situation?

Thanks!

Aust Diamondew

First Post
You can make multiple sneak attacks in a round (conceivably a high level rogue who fights with two weapons, has the appropriate two weapon feats and is hasted can make 7 such attacks). Critical hits do not multiply sneak attack damage.

Len

Prodigal Member
Under "Sneak Attack":
SRD said:
The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every two rogue levels thereafter. Should the rogue score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.
It doesn't limit you to one sneak attack per round. You get the extra damage on any attack that qualifies as a sneak attack. And it explicitly says the damage is not mulitplied on a critical.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Aust Diamondew said:
You can make multiple sneak attacks in a round (conceivably a high level rogue who fights with two weapons, has the appropriate two weapon feats and is hasted can make 7 such attacks). Critical hits do not multiply sneak attack damage.

Yup. So let's say we have a Rog-9 with BAB +6, Str 14, and ITWF (4 attacks), using a rapier and dagger, and flanking an opponent.

He hits once with his rapier, and hits twice (one critical) with his dagger.

Rapier damage: 1d6 +2 (Str) + 5d6 (sneak attack).
Dagger damage: 1d4 +1 (.5 Str) + 5d6 (sneak attack).
Dagger critical: [2d4 +2 (.5 Str)] (crit) + 5d6 (sneak attack) (not multiplied).

-Hyp.

dcollins

Explorer
Krauss von Espy said:
If a rogue can make multiple attack rolls as a full attack, and is in position to deal sneak attack damage, how does it work?

From the 3rd Edition FAQ:
I don’t see any limit on the number of sneak attacks a rogue
can make in a round. Suppose a high-level rogue is hiding.
Two villains walk within 5 feet of her. Can the rogue use an
attack of opportunity as a sneak attack and then, assuming
she gets initiative, make as many sneak attacks as she has
attacks? Can she sneak attack each of the villains? What if
the rogue has a bow? If she has Rapid Shot, does this
increase the number of sneak attacks she can make?

A rogue deals extra damage with a sneak attack anytime the
target is denied Dexterity bonus to Armor Class or anytime the
rogue flanks the target, no matter how many attacks the rogue
makes.
These conditions are not likely to occur during an attack
of opportunity, but if they do (such as when the rogue is
unseen), the rogue gets her sneak attack bonus damage. The
same holds true for ranged weapons (but see the next question),
provided that the rogue is within 30 feet of her target. Note that
sneak attacks are never possible when the rogue cannot see her
target.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I'll chime in as well.

Every attack you make can be a sneak attack. No matter whether you only attack once at level one, or attack umpteen times at high levels with divine power cast from a staff via Use Magic Device with all possible two-weapon fighting feats or whatnot.

Note that all attacks must fulfill the requirements for sneak attack, though.

You can do this when it's round one in the fight and the enemy hasn't acted yet, being flat-footed.
You can do this when you are greater invisible.
You can do this when you flank the enemy.

Not that with normal invisibility or hiding, this doesn't work. After you attacked once, you're no longer invisible/hiding, and the enemy knows where you are.

But as long as every attack is a possible sneak attack, it is a sneak attack.

glass

(he, him)
Just as a counterpoint, you only get one lot of sneak attack damage per attack roll, even if you are using multiple projectiles (for example, with Manyshot).

Also, I believe, only get one lot of sneak attack damage per round if you attack with a spell, regardless of how many attack rolls you make.

glass.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
glass said:
Just as a counterpoint, you only get one lot of sneak attack damage per attack roll, even if you are using multiple projectiles (for example, with Manyshot).

Yes, because it's a volley

Also, I believe, only get one lot of sneak attack damage per round if you attack with a spell, regardless of how many attack rolls you make.

Again, a volley. Note that if you use more than one spell in that round, you get to sneak attack the enemy several times. Like meteor swarm and a quickened scorching ray.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads