• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sneak Attacks in the Rogue Class, WHY?

simonski

First Post
Why do all Rogues have sneak attacks, are all rogues assassins or what? Its pretty wierd considering there is an Assassin prestige class. I thought Rogues was diplomats and general Big City people, merchants etc. Now if one of my players wants to make a Diplomat, what am I to tell this guy, You get Sneak attack feat and Uncanny Dodge etc... Sounds VERY wierd for someone that buries himself in books. Are there any rule for substituting "class abilities" for feats??

Or what other class should he take?

MasterOfHeaven

First Post
Rogues have Sneak Attack so they can hold their own in combat. Remember, the classes presented in the PHB are designed specifically for adventurers, who are going to be in combat at some point or another. Therefore all of the classes have some way to contribute meaningfully to combat.

If your player really wants to be just a Diplomat, which is not very practical, have him take the Expert NPC class.

Simon Magalis

First Post
It is also a direct translation of the old Thief's backstab ability, which was essentially useless if you went by the rules. Remember, despite the supposed emphasis on Character, D&D 3E is very much a combat game and is geared toward a "return to the dungeon" as it were. Master of Heaven is correct: if it were not for the Sneak Attack, Rogues would be at a severe disadvantage in combat, and while it may not make much sense (like Bards and Rangers casting spells does) it is a game balance issue.

simonski

First Post
But is d&d really all about combat? Rogues are ok without the sneak attack skill, alot better than mages are in melee, so the sneak attack seems way off. It isnt that much fun to pic a NPC class either, they kinda suck :)

A diplomat could be of great use for a group. Especially if he had alot of diplomacy and bluff skills.

And what about simple thieves. Robin Hood for example wouldnt backstab nobody....

Seems like WotC think all thieves are murderers... wierd.

hong

WotC's bitch
MasterOfHeaven said:

If your player really wants to be just a Diplomat, which is not very practical, have him take the Expert NPC class.

Or the courtier from AEG's Rokugan book; or the noble from Star Wars. The latter isn't really D&D, but it's close.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Simonski,

Look in the Dungeon Master's guide for some guidelines on customizing core classes for specific characters - while there are no hard rules on it, some very good suggestions are given (in chapter 2 or 3, I believe?).

hong

WotC's bitch
simonski said:
And what about simple thieves. Robin Hood for example wouldnt backstab nobody....

That's why it's called "sneak attacking", not "backstabbing"; and the rules studiously avoid any talk about stabbing people in the back.

simonski

First Post
Henry said:
Simonski,

Look in the Dungeon Master's guide for some guidelines on customizing core classes for specific characters - while there are no hard rules on it, some very good suggestions are given (in chapter 2 or 3, I believe?).

Ok, have to check that out. I was wondering if people think its unbalanced to substitute the rogue abilities with feats instead (for skillfocus feats etc..) ?

simonski

First Post
hong said:

That's why it's called "sneak attacking", not "backstabbing"; and the rules studiously avoid any talk about stabbing people in the back.

Come on, we all now its about backstabbing, regardless of what the books dont tell. Why would it otherwise almost always be done when you flank or stand behind the target???

Either way, what happened to thieves honor :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads