• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sneak Peek: Cyber Beasts

CYBER BEAST

A cyber beast is created by removing the brain from a cloned animal and placing it inside of a robotic duplicate of its natural body. The resulting creation combines the sophisticated instincts and learning capability of an organic brain with the power and resilience of a war machine. Cyber beasts are sold as guardians and companions for important dignitaries. Because they are so self-sufficient, cyber beasts can be trained to patrol specific locations and attack intruders. It is not unheard of for a cyber beast to escape its master and return to the “wild.”

CYBER APE
Cyber apes have somewhat humanoid bodies and the brains of gorillas, chimpanzees, or other large primates. A special control program connected to the organic brain can stimulates the cyber ape’s amygdala whenever it identifies a specific target. This electro-chemical incitement causes the cyper ape to fly into an unstoppable rage whenever this target is present.

CYBER BAT
This fragile creature has an ultra-lightweight body and the brain of a flying mammal. Cyber bats are often trained to provide reconnaissance, plant surveillance devices, and patrol remote areas.

CYBER GATOR
Cyber gators terrorize sewer tunnels, toxic wetlands, and desert watering holes. The brain of an aquatic reptile is implanted into a sleek yet powerful mechanical body to create the ultimate submersible weapon. Cyber gators are used whenever there is a need for an asset that can operate on land and in the water.

CYBER RAT SWARM
Unlike the other creatures that are used to create cyber beasts, rats have not gone extinct in their native habitat. On the contrary, rats thrive both in the deep wastes and amongst the huddled masses of humanity in the mega cities. The lower levels of a city provide and endless supply of rat brains to be implanted into mass produced cyborg bodies. Computer control chips guide each cyber rat’s actions and link them together into an organized mass.

CYBER TOOTH TIGER
The deadliest and most feared of all cyber beasts is the cyber tooth tiger. The brain of a large predatory cat is implanted into a powerful metal body, complete with razor sharp claws and hydraulic jaws. Cyber tooth tigers are used both as prestigious guard animals and terrifying assassins. Owning a cyber tooth tiger is a valuable status symbol among certain levels of society.

CYBER WOLF
Accomplished pack hunters, wolves are a natural choice for conversion into cyber beasts. Cyber wolves are rarely deployed alone; they are sent out in packs or teamed up with sentient handlers.

Cyber Tooth Tiger
Level 8 Lurker XP 350
Large natural beast (construct)
Initiative +7 Senses Perception +6; darkvision
HP 72; bloodied 36.
AC 26; Fortitude 20, Reflex 17, Will 16
Speed 7, climb 3
m Bite(standard; at-will)
+13 vs. AC; 2d8 + 6 damage, and the target is marked by the cyber tooth tiger.
m Drag (standard; useable only against a target that has been marked)
+11 vs. Reflex; 10 damage, and the cyber tiger shifts 4 squares. The target is pulled to a square adjacent to the cyber tooth tiger.
m Razor Claws(standard; recharges after the cyber tooth tiger uses drag)
+13 vs. AC; 3d6 + 6 damage.
Combat Advantage
The cyber tiger deals an extra 2d6 damage against any target it has combat advantage against.
Alignment Unaligned
Skills Stealth +12.
Str 22 (+10) Dex 16 (+7) Wis 15 (+6)
Con 19 (+8) Int 2 (+0) Cha 10 (+4)

CYBER TOOTH TIGER TACTICS
A cyber tooth tiger attacks by stealth, preferring ambushes to head on assaults. Cyber tigers are opportunistic hunters. They target injured and helpless creatures, using drag to move them away from their allies before laying into them with razor claws.

Coming Soon

Altered Earth: Threat Book 1
Chaos Trip Studios and Avalon Games

Dire Human

First Post
First of all, let me say that I love the pun. Makes me wish I'd thought of it. For everyone who can't read dark blue on black, though, here's what the tiger looks like:
Cyber Tooth Tiger
Level 8 Lurker XP 350
Large natural beast (construct)

Initiative +7 Senses Perception +6; darkvision
HP 72; bloodied 36
AC 26; Fortitude 20, Reflex 17, Will 16
Speed 7, climb 3

:bmelee: Bite (standard; at-will)
+13 vs. AC; 2d8 + 6 damage, and the target is marked by the cyber tooth tiger.

:melee: Drag (standard; useable only against a target that has been marked)
+11 vs. Reflex; 10 damage, and the cyber tiger shifts 4 squares. The target is pulled to a square adjacent to the cyber tooth tiger.

:melee: Razor Claws (standard; recharges after the cyber tooth tiger uses drag)
+13 vs. AC; 3d6 + 6 damage.

Combat Advantage
The cyber tiger deals an extra 2d6 damage against any target it has combat advantage against.

Alignment Unaligned
Skills Stealth +12
Str 22 (+10) Dex 16 (+7) Wis 15 (+6)
Con 19 (+8) Int 2 (+0) Cha 10 (+4)
Getting to the actual monster, this is the first Lurker I've seen that can mark; usually, that's left to Soldiers. Also, looking at a few similarly-leveled monsters, this tiger is doing a huge amount of damage with a huge amount of AC; 2d8 + 6 is your average player character's Encounter power, while this guy is doing that kind of damage at-will.

As for the mark, I think you really want the target to be Grabbed? As it stands now, the tiger could mark a target, the target could flee, and then the tiger could use Drag to magically pull the target all the way back to its starting point.
I can see what you're trying to do with the combo, let me just try to bring it back down to earth:

Cyber Tooth Tiger
HP 72; bloodied 36; see malfunction
AC 23, Fortitude 20, Reflex 18, Will 16; see malfunction

:bmelee: Claw (standard; at-will)
+13 vs. AC; 1d6 + 6 damage.

:melee:
Bite (standard; at-will)
+13 vs. AC; 1d6 + 6 damage, and the target is grabbed (until escape). The cyber tooth tiger can sustain the power as a standard action, dealing 3d6 + 6 damage and maintaining the grab.

:melee: Drag (move; useable only against a target that has been grabbed)
+11 vs. Fortitude; 5 damage, and the cyber tooth tiger moves 3 squares. For each square the cyber tooth tiger moves, it slides the target 1 square to a square adjacent to it. The target remains grabbed, and the cyber tooth tiger does not provoke an opportunity attack from the target for this movement.

Combat Advantage
The cyber tooth tiger deals an extra 2d6 damage against any target it has combat advantage against.

Malfunction
While bloodied, the cyber tooth tiger takes a -2 penalty to AC and Reflex.
Other than some clean-up and clarification, I think the tiger's a terrific idea. Latching onto a target and dragging it away is a pretty panic-inducing thought to a PC (or at least to the Defender trying to keep his party alive). I'm glad I could help, good luck on your publication!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads