Sniktch's Story Hour Prelude - From the Beginning (UPDATED 04/22)

Sniktch

First Post
Around town and a new friend.

Welby woke before dawn, as usual. He was disoriented for a moment until he realized where he was, back in his room at the Foaming Mug. They had arrived back in town late the previous evening, ate a hasty meal, and retired immediately after. His body ached all over from the beating he’d received the day before, and he would have simply gone back to sleep if he’d thought it possible. The rumbling in his belly informed him not to even attempt it.

He rose and stretched, then dressed slowly. It would be at least a couple of hours before Ned Nebbly started cooking breakfast and it was obvious to Welby what he needed to do. He would pay another visit to that strange house of the chickens he had discovered the day before. He finished dressing and forced his window open enough for him to squeeze through, then pulled himself onto the sill and dropped into a snow bank below. Dusting himself off, he trotted off in the direction of an easy meal.

The Royston Crow opened his eyes suddenly, then squinted against the light streaming through his window. He thought he’d heard a thump from somewhere nearby. The noise came again; it seemed to originate from outside, but right up against the wall. He staggered over to the window, hearing another thump as he went, and looked outside.

Welby stood in the snow below his window, forming snowballs and then launching them toward his room. A pair of chicken carcasses lay in the snow at his feet. The Crow wrapped his cloak tightly around himself and then opened the window.

“Hey, what are you doing down there, Welby?”

“C-c-cold. W-w-wall slick, n-no c-c-climb up. D-d-door locked. Throw r-rope, C-crow! Welb-b-by need inside.”

The Crow smiled at his strange companion’s antics and retrieved his pack. Pulling a stout hemp rope from the bag, he lowered it to the halfling and then pulled him up to the room. Welby climbed in and stood shivering as the Crow closed the window again.

“So, is that your breakfast, Welby?” he asked when the window was shut again.

“N-no, these f-for later. Already eat t-two. “

The Crow smiled and shook his head. In all likelihood, Welby would now come downstairs with him and consume another full meal from Ned’s kitchen. The pair made a stop in Welby’s room, where the halfling pulled his window shut and dropped off the chickens, then they proceeded downstairs.

Ike woke late to the smell of grease and spices wafting through the floorboards from the kitchen below. Good, he was famished. He would eat some food, but then he had matters to discuss with Lord Travens. The more he thought about it, the more the way the noble had handled the situation with the supply wagon bothered him. He kept picturing the icy field and the villagers’ corpses strewn about the wagon, and the two that Alexei had sent to find it were just boys. Just boys! Surely if he’d been truly worried about the fate of the supplies he could have sent some of the village guards, like those two men-at-arms that followed him everywhere. Yes, Lord Travens had much to answer for in Ike’s mind, and he planned to find out what the answers were.

When he went downstairs he found Welby deep into his second stack of pancakes. He asked where the Royston Crow was but received only a muffled reply of “Shopping” between mouthfuls. The rest of the inn was empty save the proprietor Ned and a bespectacled old gentleman reading a book by the fireplace. It seemed to Ike that the stranger kept glancing curiously in their direction, but he ignored the man, ate a hearty portion of ham, pancakes, and eggs, bundled himself in his winter coat, and left the inn. He passed the Crow on the way out, who was just returning with several large bundles.

The Crow lugged the packs, which contained trail rations, up to his room and then rejoined Welby, who was starting on his third stack of pancakes. The stranger closed his book and ordered a cup of hot water from Ned, then wandered over to their table.

“Mind if I join you? It is lonely in here today,” the man asked in a mellifluous voice. He was of average height and build, with thinning hair rapidly turning from black to gray. A petite pair of spectacles perched upon his slightly hawkish nose.

Welby simply growled at him around a mouthful of food, but the Crow kicked him under the table and replied, “Be my guest. Good company is as welcome as it is hard to find. My name is, well, forgotten, but my friends call me the Royston Crow. This little glutton goes by Welby when he isn’t buried in a pile of Ned’s flapjacks.”

The man sank down into a chair and fished a teabag out of his pouch, which he dropped into the steaming cup of water. He sighed as the spices released their aroma into the air. “Pleased to meet you both. I am Artimas Sendant, a traveling scholar from Bolg Mor.”

“And what brings a scholar out on the roads this winter?”

“Ah, the same thing that brought you, by my guess. I am fascinated with the archaeology of the old places, and I traveled here with the intention of exploring the old ruins. Ned informed me that a group of adventurers including a halfling, half-elf, and a half-orc had already gathered in town with the same purpose.” The man had such a pleasant quality to his manner and voice that Royston found himself instantly liking him. Even Welby must have been impressed, for he had quit growling and guarding his plate like a mother bird.

The Crow admitted that yes, they had found an entrance to the old ruins and cleared out the bandits who had taken up residence. Two of his companions had remained in the old mines to clean them up from the battles they’d fought and make sure no other unwelcome guests poked around while the rest of them had returned to town to pick up provisions. Artimas requested permission to join them in their exploration, confiding that in addition to the knowledge he had accumulated about such places in his college studies, he was also a dabbler in the magical arts and could probably help should they face any future conflicts. Welby nodded his head at Royston, and he agreed to bring Artimas with them when they returned, the three new friends clasping hands over the table. As soon as Ike concluded his business in town and returned to the inn, they would depart.

Ike rapped firmly on the door of Lord Travens’ dwelling and stood waiting for an answer, shivering in the chill air. After a minute, a manservant opened the door, demanding his business.

“I was with the group who recovered the food supplies yesterday, and I had some unfinished business to discuss with his Lordship,” was Ike’s reply.

The servant disappeared for half a minute, then returned and admitted Ike. He led him to a small parlor and motioned that he should be seated, indicating that Lord Travens would join him soon.

About half an hour later the nobleman entered, looking resplendent in a velvet housecoat lined with ermine trim. When he saw the seated half-orc he broke into a broad smile and greeted him cordially.

“Yes, of course, one of the heroes of yesterday! My village is in your debt. To what do I owe the unexpected delight of this visit?”

Ike had many good qualities, but tact was not among them. He began bluntly, “Why did you send boys out to die yesterday? Obviously you were expecting trouble or you would have sent no one at all. Wouldn’t it have been better to send trained fighters who might have stood a chance if they ran into danger?”

Alexei’s smile vanished instantly. His reply was firm and cold, “Pardon me, but I was not aware that I needed to clear my decisions with you first. I acted as I saw appropriate. Think carefully before you proceed, friend, for it is not someone of your station’s place to question one of mine.”

Ike saw danger in the lord’s cold, glittering eyes, and he did consider his next actions for a long time before breaking the tension. “I am sorry, Lord Travens. I only felt grief for the boys’ deaths, and I let it effect my words.” He reached into one of his pockets and slowly withdrew the pouch containing Marsem Trember’s gold. He placed it in the noble’s hands, continuing, “Here, this is the gold the villain carried. Give it to the boys’ families to help them through their loss.”

Alexei Travens deposited the pouch within his robes absently and turned to go. It was obvious that the interview was over, and the doorman showed Ike the way back to the street.

Ike was in a cold fury by the time he got back to the Foaming Mug. He spoke hardly a word, pausing briefly to acknowledge the newcomer, Artimas, and headed upstairs to pack his bags. Before sunset, the four adventurers were on their way to reunite with Jack and Eli.

Next: The mines of Duernfast

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Ike should have let Lord Travens have it!

I would have replied, "With all due respect, Travens, that 'station' thing is really outdated. Your postition does not give you liscence to put innocents in danger...."

or the like. Mabye Ike will get him later?

Dungannon

First Post
Ike may be a half-orc, but he ain't stupid. He realized that any direct confrontation with Lord Travens, in his own house no less, would most likely result in the swift arrival of the Town Guards and his arrest or, more likely, death. Don't worry, he hasn't forgotten the actions of that despicable, cowardly, petty pile of kobold dung, and he does have plans for him. It will just take him awhile to prepare and for the proper opportunity to present itself.

Sniktch

First Post
Jack and Eli have some fun

As soon as Jack and Eli finished disposing of the bodies, carrying them all some distance into the woods, Jack began pestering Eli about the barred door on the first level.

“C’mon, Eli, we’ll jes take a look. Ya don’t even haveta go in, jes hang back ‘n cover me.”

Eli remained unconvinced. “Jack, I’m not sure that’s such a good idea until the others get back. Think about it – the Trembers and their gang of orcs just sealed it up, and they were more numerous than we. What if we can’t contain or handle whatever is in that room?”

“Bah, I’m tellin ya, jes stand back wit yer bow and cover me. I’ll jes open ‘er up ‘n have a look – if’n anythin’s movin in there, I’ll shut it again.”

This continued back and forth until Eli finally succumbed, more to preserve his sanity than because Jack had convinced him. Actually, he was positive that this was a bad idea; most likely their friends would return to find their corpses and some hideous creature on the loose. He let out a resigned sigh. Oh, well, if that happened at least he would have some peace and quiet. He nocked an arrow, pulled the string taut, and aimed at the door.

Jack approached the door with his axe ready and put his ear to it, listening intently for several minutes. Hearing nothing, he shrugged and removed the bar, then jumped back, waiting expectantly. When the door didn’t move, he shot Eli a smug look and grabbed the handle, pulling it open.

A lanky form exploded past him. It appeared to be a severely emaciated man with jaundiced, flaky skin stretched so thin his ribs threatened to burst free, long, greasy hair and wicked untrimmed fingernails that resembled claws. Its head swiveled to stare at Jack with eyes glowing red with hatred, and it bared sharp, yellowed teeth at him as it emitted an unnatural hiss.

Eli reacted at once, loosing the arrow he held ready, but it whistled past the beast. He began chanting a spell. Jack stepped in and caved in the left side of the creature’s chest with a brutal axe stroke, but it paid the wound no heed, pouncing upon him in a ferocious assault. A swipe of its hand raked Jack’s cheek, opening four parallel lacerations that immediately began to sting and burn the dwarf terribly. He started to bring his axe up for another stroke but his arm did not respond to his mental command. All of his limbs felt leaden, stiff and he stood paralyzed, unable even to scream. A ghoul! One of the ravenous, flesh-eating undead that sometimes hunted in packs near his homeland. Eli had been right about the door, and now his stubbornness had doomed them.

Eli finished his spell as the ghoul turned to face him, sending a streaking missile of force to explode on the side of the beast’s skull, ruining one of its eyes. The ghoul howled in rage and charged towards him, but Eli was already mouthing the words of another spell. He fell completely into the rhythm and pattern of the words, ignoring the pain as the creature leaped upon him and buried its fangs in his shoulder. When he spoke the final word of the spell his right hand became wreathed in a crackling aura of blue electricity. Grimacing now as the ghoul’s nails tore furrows in his flesh, he reached up and grasped the monster on its forehead, channeling the energy into its skull. The ghoul exploded messily, its charred husk collapsing to the ground.

After they recovered, they examined the room the ghoul had been trapped in. The room itself contained nothing but two moldering old coffins that held the half-gnawed skeletons of dwarven warriors. The bodies had clutched axes whose handles had long ago rotted away, but Jack could tell that the steel axe-heads were dwarf-forged and still in excellent condition. Jack insisted that they leave the bodies untouched and they left, re-barring the door.

The others returned late that evening to find Jack and Eli recovering in front of a fire they’d built. Both looked battered and scratched from the fracas with the ghoul. Artimas introduced himself to his two new acquaintances, and Jack and Eli shared the story of their recently completed battle with the ghoul. Tomorrow they would head down to the bottom floor again, and hopefully they would solve the mystery of the Great Hall and gain access to the mines below. In the morning they would begin their adventure anew, but now they drifted into sleep…

Dungannon

First Post
Ya know, as I relive the early adventures, it occurs to me that it is truly a miracle that Jack has survived long enough to brave the Underdark (see Sniktch's other story hour Sniktch's Story Hour - City of the Spider Queen ). He must truly be blessed by Clangeddin Silverbeard. Either that, or the deity wants to keep Jack out of his realm as long as possible.

Harp

First Post
This story hour has shot straight to the top of my list for its sheer entertainment value and superior writing. Not to mention that all of the characters have demonstrated distinct and interesting personalities in only a few short posts. We can already recognize Artimas, for instance, as quite the creepshow, though he's barely appeared in a single scene. A well wrought tale indeed and I'm anxious to read more.

Sniktch

First Post
Rats for breakfast and the puzzle solved

Thanks, Harp. If my readers are enjoying this as much as we enjoyed playing it and I enjoy writing it, then I can't really ask for anything more.

Anyway, on with the next installment:

Welby awoke before the others, as was his habit, and found that Artimas had also risen early, and scribbled in a book by a small flickering lamp, glancing up from time to time and studying the sleeping companions. The shadows thrown across the scholar’s face by the lantern gave it a sinister bent, as if the old man was staring at him with seething half-lidded eyes and an expression of pure malice.

Welby jumped up and gave a little yell, and Artimas seemed to actually see him now, dispelling the illusion. The mage smiled and his face looked friendly and compassionate again as he beckoned the halfling to join him.

“Good morning, my little friend. I apologize if my appearance startled you in some manner, or perhaps you are just used to being the first person up. Why are you up so early?”

Welby scowled, little creases spreading across his childlike brow, “You first.”

“Fair enough,” Artimas extended his hand, offering the book to the halfling. Welby glanced at the page and saw a picture drawn on it; Artimas had sketched him while he was asleep! He wasn’t bad, either, Welby was forced to admit as he examined the picture closer. It really looked just like him.

As Welby handed the book back a rumbling growl erupted from his belly. He grinned at Artimas, explaining, “Me hungry. Always hungry. Get up for snack before breakfast.” The halfling collected his weapons, slinging his axe over his back and readying an arrow before starting to creep softly into the cave.

Artimas was puzzled. “Welby, the trail rations are right over...” he began, but the warrior was shaking his head, cutting him off.

“Like rat better.”

Artimas put his book down, grabbed the lamp and started following Welby. “Really? Is it because its fresh? Then we should go to the room where Jack and Eli fought the ghouls - rats and ghouls are nearly synonymous.”

They headed down the hall, unbarred the door, and stepped inside. The air hung with a faint charnel reek of death, and a number of rats did run squeaking from their light. While Welby hunted down as many as he could, Artimas examined the moldering old coffins and their skeletal contents.

“Hey, Welby, look at this,” he called, and the halfling turned to find him holding a beautiful steel axehead, still razor sharp even after its owner had rotted away. He eagerly accepted the metal piece, and moments later pried the pitted, iron blade from his axe’s handle and replaced it with the steel dwarven craftsmanship. He gave it a few practice swipes before slinging it over his back again, satisfied.

Artimas looked at the fruit’s of Welby’s hunt, a half dozen rats neatly skewered on the arrows that killed them. Alright, so he was hungry and curious, but he was going to cook it at least. “Welby, mind if I take one of these?”

When they returned to the supply room the rest of the companions were moving about. Ike prepared a meal whilst the rest studied spellbooks, strapped on armor, and exchanged light banter. Welby was polishing off his third rat, raw of course, while Artimas delicately picked at his. The mage had used one cantrip to hold the rodent suspended in the air and a second to roast it.

Jack stormed over when he saw Welby, a deep frown on his face. “Ya little savage! Disrespectin the dead!” He pointed at the new blade on Welby’s axe as he spoke. Welby looked nonplussed, so Jack continued, “Ya stole one o’ them blades from the other room, ya filthy thief - ya stole from the dead!”

Welby shrugged. “This one better, make trade.”

Jack was turning a deep shade of violet when Artimas came to the halfling’s defense. “Look, it isn’t like the person he took it from needed it or is going to miss it. That person is dead, and their spirit is in the afterlife, no longer burdened by mortal concerns. Besides, isn’t that what adventurers do? Steal from the dead?” He paused for dramatic effect. “If not, what are we doing in these ancient ruins? Isn’t everything we gather from this place, in a way, stealing from the dead?”

Jack sputtered, “That’s different!”

“How so different? Because he took it right off their bodies or because they were dwarves?”

“Yes, because they were dwarves! Stealin from yer enemies isn’t even theft - its well-earned spoils fer slayin scum! But stealin from the interred remains o’ fallen honorable warriors is disrespectful and wrong.”

Eli joined the argument, laying a soothing hand on his friend’s shoulder. “Come Jack, it is not prudent that we allow strife to grow among us. Remember not all share your beliefs and values, and we must tolerate their freedom of will.”

Stumpwater Jack turned angrily and stomped away. “I’ll be waitin at the lift, then,” he growled as he departed. Eli raised his hands in silent apology before following.

The next few hours passed very slowly. They had all loaded onto the lift and gone back down to the third floor, then headed for the room with the hole in the floor. In the center of the chamber, a circular depression several inches deep was engraved in the exact middle of the room. Six grooves fanned out around it like spokes on a wheel, running up to, and, they discovered, continuing under, the walls. A message inscribed on the archway leading into the great hall read, “The dwarven spirit is filled with secrets.”

The tension grew thick in the air as each silently contemplated the pattern on the floor and the one clue they had, trying to put the pieces together and understand what it meant. At one point Eli discovered that the floor sloped gradually upwards towards the center of the chamber, but they weren’t entirely sure what to make of that, either. Finally, an exasperated Jack cried, “Look, I’m a dwarf an’ I’m tellin ya the only dwarven spirits I know is beer!”

Ike exclaimed, “Jack, that’s it!” and pulled out his waterskin, moving to the center of the room. He dumped the contents into the hole, and they watched as it ran down each of the spokes and flowed under the walls. Six distinct clicks were heard a minute later and then, as they waited anxiously, a lound grinding noise reverberated through the hall. As they watched one of the wall sections, on the east wall, slowly slid and scraped out of the way, leaving a dark aperture in its wake. Breathless with excitement they rushed over and found themselves standing at the top of a dark, dusty flight of stairs, leading further and further down...

Next: the **** hits the fan

Sniktch

First Post
The Forges, pt. 1

The steps lead to an abandoned and dusty hall of hewn stone, ten foot wide and running east to west. The eastern path turned sharply about thirty feet away, but the western half of the hallway stretched beyond the limits of their vision. An old rotting door stood facing the stairs. All could tell that though this corridor was relatively free of debris it had not been traversed in quite some time.

“Dwarf stonework,” whistled Jack appreciatively.

Ike examined the door, and finding it unlocked and barely standing, carefully swung it open. He looked in upon an old guard post, still manned by its last command. A great stone table dominated the center of the room, strewn with cups, dice, and scattered coins. Seated around it in in twelve evenly spaced chairs were the skeletal remains of twelve dwarves, as if joined in one last everlong game.

The Crow peered over Ike’s shoulder and shuddered. “That’s pretty creepy. I wonder why they’re all just sitting there, like they were playing and drinking one minute and dead the next.”

“It’s possible,” explained Jack. “Duernfast fell durin the great war before writin begins. What legends the dwarves pass down tell that it were brought low by a betrayal an’ a great curse.”

“Well, we certainly need those coins more than they do now. I’ll collect ‘em.” Ike stepped inside and approached the table. He reached over the table to scoop one of the small mounds of coins into a pouch, but stopped in terror, speechless, when one of the skeletons reached out a claw and grasped his wrist, preventing his intended action. He stumbled backwards and tripped, falling sprawling to the floor as all around the table the ancient warriors stood and began to advance, bony fingers extended, seeking to destroy hated life.

Jack stepped up behind Ike until he was standing over the half-orc, one hand extended with his holy symbol securely grasped. “Begone, foul ones!” he cried. “By Clangeddin I canna stand the sight of ya! Back!” He channeled his faith into a divine shroud, anathema to the undead, and half of the staggering automatons fell to dust.

The others were ready for what was left. Welby and the Crow charged past Jack, Welby leaping onto the table and batting the skull off a skeleton with the flat of his axe. The Crow found things more difficult, stabbing ineffectually with his rapier. Ike recovered and sprang to his feet just in time to avoid the bony hug of one corpse, dodging around it and smashing another’s backbone with his mace. Artimas prepared a spell and waited for an opening, while Eli hung back in the hallway, confident in his friend’s abilities to handle the threat, and it seemed the battle would soon be over.

Unfortunately, things went against the Crow. As Jack joined in the fray, cutting one undead in half, and Ike proceeded to smash the one he had just so nimbly avoided, the last two skeletons cornered Royston, outflanking him. Skeletal hands did find warm flesh then, one skeleton grabbing his arm and digging painfully in, while the other gashed his side, tearing his leathers and drawing long angry weals on the skin. Artimas saw his chance to pitch in and did, completing his spell and sending a ray of disruption towards one of the creatures, shattering it. At the same time, Welby hurled himself from the table towards the last undead with a roar, crashing into it and reducing it to splinters.

“Did I mention this place may be cursed?” Jack asked as the dust began to settle again. He moved over and tended the Crow’s wounds with two of his minor curative blessings to prevent infection, then bandaged them.

Ike continued with his original task and gathered the coins from the table, Welby and Artimas lending a hand. They counted a couple hundred coins, although most were copper or silver. Artimas examined some of the coins and gasped, then called the others over to look.

“First of all these coins are nearly perfect; I see none of the minting flaws or irregularities that are common in coins of the modern age. Second of all, look at this date - 2436. Since the current calendar reaches only to 1432, I can only conclude that this was minted before recorded history.”

“Yeah, yeah, I already told ya the place were older than writin. So we got enough cash to pay Ned ta keep our rooms now, let’s move on,” so saying, the surly dwarf went back to wait with Eli in the hall.

When the others emerged, they decided to go down the west tunnel first to see where it might lead. It continued forward for about fifty yards before taking a sharp southerly turn, then went about fifty more feet. After that it opened into a huge cavern bigger than any save Jack had seen before. The far walls and ceiling all lay outside the range of lantern or Jack and Ike’s darksight. The light did reveal several rows of small stone huts, each ten by ten with a doorshaped opening in one wall and a circular hole in the roofs.

Jack’s eyes lit up. “The forges! Has ta be. If’n this cavern were lit, you’d see the chimney holes cut in the ceilin. Let’s see what they left behind fer us.” The dwarf began making his way down to the small buildings, the others trailing behind him.

They stopped between the first two, Jack moving to examine the one on the left and Welby and Ike stepping into the one on the right. Both rooms were basically identical, spartan chambers lined with shelves holding all manner of rusting tools, great anvils and rotting bellows below the round aperture in the ceiling. Jack began a careful search of the scattered tools, issuing a steady stream of curses as he found everything to be corroded to the point of uselessness.

Eli urged him to be quiet. “Hush, Stump. If anymore undead wait in these caverns we want to be able to hear them coming.”

The dwarf fell into a moody sulk, exiting the room and moving down to the next two. Eli and Artimas fell into step behind him, but the Crow waited for Welby and Ike. Ike started to leave the room he was in, but froze and started listening, his danger sense tingling. Welby stepped past him, but the half-orc grabbed his shoulder and brought him to a stop, urging him to silence with a raised finger to his broken lips.

They both heard it then, a soft, leathery flapping sound in the air of the cavern above them. Ike started to call out to warn the others, and that’s when the lights went out. Plunged suddenly into complete and inky blackness that even his darkvision couldn’t penetrate, Ike fought to remain calm and to avoid panicking. He groped blindly for the doorway with one hand while pulling the struggling halfling behind with the other. As they stepped out onto the now dark avenue between the buildings, the screams and cries of their companions began to fill the air.

Sniktch

First Post
The Forges, pt. 2

The Royston Crow had been standing alert, crossbow loaded, when the noises started, and he heard them too. A soft squishing sound, strange, reminding him on one hand of a bat in flight and on the other of some deep sea creature. Funny, he thought as he squinted futiley into the gloom above, I don’t remember who I am or where I come from but I remember the noises that flying rodents and swimming squids make. Funny, he continued to think, but that looks a little bit like a flying squid coming down at me.

“Yaaaaa!” he came out of his reverie with a shout when he saw the beast coming towards him. It was too dark to make out details, but it did look like a great and shadowy squid with webbing between the tentacles was floating down toward him. He squeezed the trigger to his crossbow reflexively, but he was pitched into absolute darkness before he could see if he’d hit anything. He reloaded frenetically and fired another shot into the air above himself where he’d seen the beast. He was rewarded by hearing a wet, meaty thunk just above his head, and then the slimy tentacled weight crashed into him, bearing him to the floor.

Artimas and Eli were a few strides behind Jack when they saw him disappear, engulfed in a globe of impenetrable darkness. Artimas threw himself to the side and between two of the buildings, and then he was surrounded by darkness, too. He heard the whirring passage of some flying abberation behind him, followed by a loud smack. The elf’s voice cried out in pain.

“Jack, help, it has me! Jack, -- “ Eli’s voice broke off in a high-pitched, rattling scream. Artimas stumbled along the wall, away from the noise, and soon cleared the darkness. He staggered a few more steps from the wailing elf, hidden from his sight by the wall of darkness, and collapsed shaking to the ground, eyes darting all about searching for another attacker.

He heard Jack bellowing, and the mailed tread of his boots growing rapidly closer as the screaming subsided.

Stumpwater Jack put his head down and charged forward when the darkness fell. He heard something whistle towards him, felt something solid smack against his chainmail, and then he cleared it, scooting to a stop on the other side. Whirling around, he heard Eli’s cry for help and then his howl of agony.

Jack bellowed his rage, calling upon Clangeddin to imbue his axe with holy might. The blade took on a magical silver glow as he plunged back into the globe of darkness, speeding in the direction of his friend’s fading cries. Once again something attacked him as he ran, and once again he ignored the hit he received and continued past. He came out of the globe of darkness for the blink of an eye before entering a second one.

Just ahead now he heard the elf’s gurgling moans and another sound, a tearing, wet... chewing. Jack’s eyes widened in horror and he lashed out with his axe in the direction of the noise, swinging it parallel to the ground and praying his friend did not lie in its path. A shock ran up his arm as he hit something with brutal force. His axe was torn from his grasp and he heard a body strike the floor.

Jack dropped to his hands and knees and searched the darkness. He found Eli’s body, and even without seeing he knew his friend was horribly ripped and torn. However, a low rattling hiss continued to issue from the elf as he labored to draw breath.

Ignoring the sound of the other beast bearing down upon him, Jack fell into prayer, calling upon the power of his god to save his friend from death’s door.

As he crossed the doorway Ike slipped in something wet and sticky and fell, taking the halfling with him, as he still held Welby’s shoulder tightly. The barbarian gave a startled cry of pain and was wrenched from his grasp suddenly, and Ike heard something moving back into the building they had just exited.. He spun about and moved after the noise, readying his mace as he moved.

He banged painfully into the anvil and heard the noise shrinking away, above him now. He climbed onto the anvil and stood, extending his arms toward the hole he knew to be there. Jumping, he was able to reach the ceiling, and hoisted himself through the opening to the roof.

When his he came through the hole he broke through the darkness, and saw another choker, one of the strange beasts that had ambushed him on a higher level, grasping a struggling Welby and leaping to the next rooftop. The halfling was foaming at the mouth and raving, and he had managed to pull his dagger from his boot and hacked at the tentacle wrapped around his midsection, caring little whether his blows landed on the choker or himself.

Ike smiled grimly and gave chase, jumping the gap between buildings and swinging his mace at the choker. His aim was good and his weapon connected with a solid crunch. The choker howled in pain and threw the halfling off the roof, then turned and tore into Ike savagely. He accepted the hits and swung again, striking a glancing blow to the creature’s skull. The choker fled, screaming its rage and frustration as it hopped from roof to roof.

Ike jumped to the ground to see if his friend had made it through the ordeal intact.

Artimas methodically loaded his crossbow, eyes still searching every direction for any sign of movement. He heard Jack’s battle cry and subsequent triumphant shout, then the dwarf’s rising chant as he called the favor of his deity. At that instant he also caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of his eye; a weird, flying squid-like monstrosity floating up into the inky depths overhead.

He raised his crossbow, mumbling a spell that gave him arcane insight into his next shot. A moment later the beast reappeared, speeding toward the chanting dwarf. Artimas pulled the trigger, the bolt smashed into one of the creature’s eyes, destroying its brain, and it flopped over oddly as it continued its descent.

They had all survived the encounter, although some by inches. When the darkness cleared they found Jack weeping quietly over his stricken friend, who still needed healing and rest before he would be on his feet again. Artimas had killed one beast with his shot, and Jack had chopped the other nearly in two.

They found the body of a third creature atop the unconscious figure of the Royston Crow. His blind shot, in a moment of outrageous luck, had killed the creature as it charged him. However, the body had still fallen onto him, knocking him off his feet. Then, he sheepishly admitted, he had fainted from fright.

Welby and Ike were sore from their fight with the choker but none the worse for wear. However, the beast had escaped them and probably lingered, near and out of sight. They did not stop at this time to explore further. Ike helped Jack carry the senseless elf and the others kept a close and nervous eye out while they headed back to the staircase and left the danger behind them, for a time.

They resolved to go back to town the next morning and rest until they had recovered. This time no one remained behind, and they left their supplies in the puzzle room, trusting the bitter weather to discourage intelligent travelers and the lift to protect against any wandering beasts. The secret staircase was sealed again. In the meantime they would enjoy the fruits of their labor and live it up at Ned’s, for a couple of days at least.

Last edited:

Remove ads