• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E So, 5e OGL

Wicht

Hero
From Chris Perkins:

"It is our intention to bring back the OGL. We just don't know when we are going to do it yet."

I wasn't aware that the OGL went anywhere. :)

That strikes me as a curious sort of turn of a phrase for a license that is already extent and thriving.

Nylanfs

Adventurer
Very Nice blog Jester and I like the two license approach of Paizo also. PCGen is operating under the Community Use policy for the Paizo which lets us use all their fluff, and Lone Wolf chose to get a direct license instead of using the Commercial license which wouldn't let them use any Golarian specific items, which would really kill a character generator.

Started writing a post for this thread.
It became a blog instead.
http://www.5mwd.com/archives/2506
Very Nice blog Jester and I like the two license approach of Paizo also. PCGen is operating under the Community Use policy for the Paizo which lets us use all their fluff, and Lone Wolf chose to get a direct license instead of using the Commercial license which wouldn't let them use any Golarian specific items, which would really kill a character generator.
Thanks!

The D&D team has said they want people to make the game their own. It's a nice sentiment but it would be awesome for them to make that a legal option.
I don't need a full OGL to put content on my blog. Someday, maybe I will, if I ever decide to compile and sell. But at the moment I just need a fan site/community licence that says I can use WotC's stuff so long as I don't charge and follow whatever restrictions they want. Like disclaimers, links to the Basic rules, not mimicking the trade dress, etc...

An example of the issue.

I had the idea a few weeks ago of making a bunch of NPCs. All the major classes at Challenge 1, 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20. Because a lot of classes just aren't in the MM. And a cheatsheet of the major PC and monster races. Like page 282 but with necessary mechanics written out instead of just listed. So you could make a challenge 8 elf rogue or challenge 16 dragonborn monk in seconds.
Super handy, right?

But it'd copy a tonne of monster and PC text, even if I edited things down and focused on key combat options. And I'm not sure WotC would be cool with that.

An example of the issue.

I had the idea a few weeks ago of making a bunch of NPCs. All the major classes at Challenge 1, 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20. Because a lot of classes just aren't in the MM. And a cheatsheet of the major PC and monster races. Like page 282 but with necessary mechanics written out instead of just listed. So you could make a challenge 8 elf rogue or challenge 16 dragonborn monk in seconds.
Super handy, right?

But it'd copy a tonne of monster and PC text, even if I edited things down and focused on key combat options. And I'm not sure WotC would be cool with that.

I think it would be super cool, but if you simply paired it down a bit to mostly comat stuf you could easily fit it in the WotC approved monster format and be aok...

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
From a legal stand point, does an OGL need to be published in the books the OGL covers? I mean if we want the PHB to be Open Source, wouldn't they need to publish a PHB with the legal document in it? Could they just post in it on their website and be done with it?

As for the possibility of an OGL coming for 3PP, I wonder if their desire to limit bloat will kill any hope for an OGL. Maybe it will mean 3PP will have to get products vetted by the design team. Given how small the D&D design team is and that they probably can't ask for a lot of money form 3PP, it means a lot 3PP supplements will just accumulate on the desks of designers. Maybe if you know the right people, say like how Rich Baker and Wolfgang Baur know Mike Mearls, could a 3PP book get fast tracked and actually see the light of day.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
From a legal stand point, does an OGL need to be published in the books the OGL covers? I mean if we want the PHB to be Open Source, wouldn't they need to publish a PHB with the legal document in it? Could they just post in it on their website and be done with it?

It does need to accompany the work that it covers. That's why the rulebooks themselves were never OGC - what was OGC was the separately published System Reference Document (SRD).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads