• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E So, 5e OGL

darjr

I crit!
I hope so. Funny thing is I'm beginning not to care. I think the situation we are in now is to my tastes. Mostly good stuff being made by those who use the older ogl and others who do what they have a right to do.

darjr

I crit!
I think the ogl at gencon IS the news that green ronin was hinting at. Especially given that we now know they are working with wotc and might have been at the time. Add to that the Thule Kickstarter seems like a 5e ogl project and ends after gencon, they might be in a position to know.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I think well get some news, either an official announcement, or no news at all and ogl dies .

Hussar

Legend
How is the OGL dying though? I just backed the Primeval Thule 5e Kickstarter and it uses the OGL. There are a few other companies using the OGL as well, without any major issue.

The only thing that has changed is the bar to entry. In 3e, anyone with a computer could bang out a PDF, put it on DrivethruRPG and call it done. And that's exactly what happened. We had an absolute glut of material of wildly varying degrees of quality swamping the market which promptly crashed. If you want to do a 5e OGL product, you can certainly do so. That's been proven to be true. It can be done. It has been done. It has been done multiple times over the past year.

IOW, the only thing standing between you and publishing an OGL 5e product is your willingness to retain a lawyer and get some legal advice. Which, IMO, is a good thing. It adds just enough of a buy in that it makes anyone who wants to do an OGL product actually invest a bit beforehand. We're not talking huge investments either. It's not like a lawyer is that expensive. A few hundred dollars and you're good to go. So, what we're seeing is companies and individuals who believe enough in their ideas to actually make the effort instead of a wave of OGL material, the vast majority of which was utterly forgettable.

Maybe, just maybe, by setting the bar just a smidgeon higher than the wide open 3e OGL was, we get the best of both worlds - higher quality 3pp products on the shelf and a slower release schedule that serves everyone better.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads