• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, About the Dejada...?

C4

Explorer
(The dejada is a dark sun weapon that's exactly like a sling, except it does more damage.)

Is there some possible obscure reason for this, or is the dejada a kind of incognito sling errata?

Ryujin

Legend
It's more like a xistera, that they use to play Jai Alai, than it is a sling. A Jai Alai ball can get up to 300 Kmh. Of course it works on a principle similar to a sling or atlatl, for throwing a spear, by increasing the arc of the throw and, therefore, the speed of the projectile.

Or you could just consider it to be another one of the uber-weapons, that D&D is so enamoured of creating.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
Yep, the only "balancing" factor I can see on the dejada compared to the sling is that it costs 10 gp while the sling only costs 1 gp. Otherwise, it's no worse in any respect, and better in its damage die. Same range, same weapon type, same reload, same ammunition.

If I were running a game that wasn't in Dark Sun, I probably wouldn't allow Dark Sun-specific material unless there was a good story behind why that material could make sense in my campaign. But assuming you have a DM who lets you use anything in the Character Builder and assuming you've got the extra 9 gp, the dejada is a better weapon than the sling. I guess it's a little bit of power creep for wide-open games, although I can't tell you the last time I saw a PC use a sling.

Ryujin

Legend
A sling is a nice weapon to keep around, at low levels, because it weighs virtually nothing. Most of my characters will have one on them, but rarely actually use it.

While I'm fairly open in what I permit, in my game, I've specifically banned Dark Sun themes, equipment, etc..

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
My games are wide open, and not only does no one use a sling, no one also uses a dejada.

So, y'know, better or not, it still kinda sucks. ;)

Dice4Hire

First Post
It is not the only Dark Sun weapon that is pretty sweet. Getting brutal 2 on an axe with no Superior Weapon Feat is pretty good.

But there are a lot of weapons even in the PHB that are clearly superior to other weapons, either due to simple stats or the feat support behind it.

Try being a master of the flail if you don't believe me. It is not pretty.

Ryujin

Legend
It is not the only Dark Sun weapon that is pretty sweet. Getting brutal 2 on an axe with no Superior Weapon Feat is pretty good.

But there are a lot of weapons even in the PHB that are clearly superior to other weapons, either due to simple stats or the feat support behind it.

Try being a master of the flail if you don't believe me. It is not pretty.

It's the "no superior weapon feat" that screws with things. The superior weapon arms race is bad enough, without those tossed into the mix too. That's part of the reason I don't allow them.

Prestidigitalis

First Post
My games are wide open, and not only does no one use a sling, no one also uses a dejada.

So, y'know, better or not, it still kinda sucks. ;)

I will be starting a Sling-using Thief in a new campaign that begins tomorrow. It's largely for Roleplaying reasons (it matches her background as a shepherd) and partly for the sake of not making this my fourth light-blade wielding Rogue/Thief. I'm starting off with RP-oriented feats (Disciple of Law and Bardic Ritualist) but plan to take Deadeye Slinger soon, probably at level 2.

Interesting thing -- because the Sling is a one-handed weapon, you can wield a short sword or dagger in the other. That helps a bit, as it means you have a decent OA, and can take Master of Arms instead of Sling Expertise.

So, it may suck, but I'm going to try it anyway.

Remove ads