So, about those Man of Steel reviews...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Was a teeny bit disappointed with Clark's final action vs the bad guy, thought he'd find a more clever way to solve the problem.

That's very canon and in-character. That's how he's always solved the Zod problem - in comics and movies. Spoilers coming:

[sblock]Superman always executes Zod.

In the movie Superman II he de-powers and then executes Zod in the Fortress of Solitude.

[video=youtube;jUORL-bvwA0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUORL-bvwA0[/video]

In the comics, he executes him (again in the Fortress) with green Kryptonite. After a speech about being judge, jury, and executioner:

2933207-murder2_copy.jpg

Superman_Phantom_Zone_execution.jpg

In Man of Steel he executes him physically after being presented with no choice.

Zod's end is always execution by Superman in all mediums.[/sblock]

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
That last execution is a bit of cheat without context Morrus...

If I remember correctly that earth that he executes the Phantom Zone Villains on is an earth where they KILLED almost EVERY LAST HUMAN on it. WIth the three of them ganging up on Superman who I think was the last person left fighting he maneuvers them into the area where the Kryptonite is hidden.

Being that the Kryptonite in this alternate universe doesnt effect him at all he uses it only because THERE IS NO OTHER CHOICE lest these guys find their way onto HIS earth.

It's a HUGE DEAL for Superman because he normally doesnt kill. It's such a big deal that he deals with it over the course of several issues and pretty much almost has an emotional break because of the actions that he took.

There's a context to his actions in the comics and I'm a little concerned that because of the exceptions it's almost like it's OKAY for Superman to kill because he's done it before under EXTREME duress.

Superman is not a killer at least not a casual one. Neither is Batman. I personally dont want superhero comics to reflect reality in such a way where it takes away the heroic aspect of these characters and I'm not even a huge DC fan. The REAL WORLD SUCKS. People who should no better make up all sorts of excuses and rationales to do things that they know they shouldnt and look for the easy way out. Often without ramifications.

If Superman kills and isn't effected by it on some sort of emotional level (because his moral core is SO STRONG?) Then I submit that that character is Superman like, but NOT Superman.

This is just my opinion of course.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
But he did it casually in Superman II. Amend he certainly showed anguish at it in Man of Steel. My point is that (a) there is precedent and (b) it's a big deal for him. Thus the whole screaming in anguish part. People acting like it's just out of the blue are being silly. Zod gets executed by Superman. That's his story.

I enjoyed Man of Steel great deal, none of the beats or plot points felt off to me and the acting was good all around. I do think the genetic process behind the creation of Zod needed more quality control because he had all the military finesse of Custer. But then he has always been written that way.

Bagpuss

Legend
I liked the "days without accident...." Sign in the construction site going from 160 days to 0 days, as Superman bashed into it. About the be only attempt at humour in the film.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I liked the "days without accident...." Sign in the construction site going from 160 days to 0 days, as Superman bashed into it. About the be only attempt at humour in the film.

Heh - another little thing I missed! Something to watch out for next time!

Did anyone notice the name on the Liquid Container Trucks in one of the scenes?
Lexcorp

I did notice that and that is supposed to be on a building as well, somewhere, which I missed. And I noticed the satellite logo, and the safety sigh at the building site. I wonder what other Easter Eggs were in the movie.

Remove ads