so, Culture, Faith, Science and Trade

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
( instead of the Core 2nd Ed Ad&d Warriors, Magic-Users, Thieves and Priests )

Trade is for Thieves
Faith is for Priests
Culture should pertain to Intelligence ( well, it serves me to allocate Culture to M-U )
then, Science is for Warriors

( in the Bible there is a difference in between the Tree of Knowledge and the Tree of Science , and I supercede Culture to Knowledge )

( euh that's all :) )

( also, Culture, Faith, Science and Trade ( or Money ) comes from Civilization the Video Game )

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Culture is Wisdom and Religion is Culture

imc I use
Cha - Politic/Diplomacy
Con - Economy (Economic Resilience)
Str - Military
Wis - Culture (Society)
Int - Science/Academy
Dex - Mobility (ability to respond quickly and adapt to crisis)

le Redoutable

( again ? )
then,
Culture is for Bards
Faith is for Priests
Trade for Thieves ( euh Merchants )
Science for what ? Warriors ?

is there room to reshape the 4 core Ad&d 2nd Ed Classes ?

:)

le Redoutable

so,
Culture => Goodness
Faith ==> Law
Trade => Chaos
Science => Evil

to build a NG ( for example ) you need an equilibrium in between your levels of Law and Chaos, and a higher level in Culture than that of Science

( also, using the assumption that you allocate each of your Character Levels in a given base Alignment ( that is, either C,F,T, or S )

le Redoutable

now, perhaps Culture is in the left ( where Law usually rests ) , and Faith in the upper side ( so Alignment would look like )

CF - FN - FT
CN - NN - NT
CS - NS - ST

Sir Brennen

Legend
( again ? )
then,
Culture is for Bards
Faith is for Priests
Trade for Thieves ( euh Merchants )
Science for what ? Warriors ?

is there room to reshape the 4 core Ad&d 2nd Ed Classes ?

I’ve always equated arcane magic (wizards) with science. Clerics/priests gain their magic from faith in powerful supernatural entities. Wizards study the laws of (super)nature and spells are their applied knowledge (like scientists and engineers)

in 3rd edition, I made two other sources of magical power: Art and Nature. The first applied to bards, representing tapping into the creativity of the world’s sentient beings. Nature, of course, is the force druids (and rangers) tap into for their magic.

in your paradigm, I’d make “culture” for warriors, as they often learn their skills to defend or advance their own society’s ideals. (Though they may, as individuals, go against those ideals, but even in that case, what they are against defines them to a large degree.)

Last edited:

le Redoutable

Then, Physics is for Wizards ?
Surgeons make for great Warriors, in the art of ... surgery ( i.e. cutting flesh and organs to optimize evolution of the physical body )
( astro ) Physicians often rely mainly on sight ( am I wrong here please tell me )
so you can't feel reality with only one sense :)

Staffan

Legend
I'd add Violence/Force/Military to the original four, and either go with five principles (which would make bards Culture) or fold Culture into Faith (because religion and culture are very strongly connected in real life).

Remove ads