• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) So, Cunning Srike?!

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Yea.
All martials got "martial dice" that could do damage, or trade a few of them for an effect.
Honestly, anything that makes the Rogue and Monk play more like the Fighter is a good thing in my book.

Perhaps in another two or three editions, they will ultimately merge them into one single "Martial" class again.

Kurotowa

Legend
I don't like the idea of all the DC's keying off of Dexterity. It makes rogues even more SAD (EDIT, thanks Charlaquin) than they already are. Having my BBEG get pushed over and fumbling for his weapon every turn is a sure way to make me throw in the towel.
Look, if the BBEG has a low enough AC that the Rogue is hitting every round, AND low enough Dex save that they're failing two checks a round, then they were a punching bag to begin with. Also I don't know about your BBEGs, but the big climax fights I run into are heavy on monsters that don't hold weapons, monsters that are bigger than Large, or both. But maybe that's just my usual DM's style.

Last edited:

Deekin

Adventurer
Man! So now they're expanding sneak attack features and calling it "cunning strike"? That's what I've been calling the similar feature in my GEAS project for the past near year or so. Now I've got to change it or people will think I'm copying WotC?

Grrr....
To be fair, Pathfinder had had it on their Rogue since 2015.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Technically, they had Rogue Talents which added an extra effect when you used Sneak Attack. Example: Befuddling Strike.

I vaguely recall some 3.5 Feats that let you trade Sneak Attack dice for other effects as well. This isn't really a new idea, by any means.
Oh, I wasn't trying to say it was a new idea, I was only pointing out the same terminology. For example, I had it for things like this:

1688171636389.png

1688171662597.png

So the timing is...less than ideal. Since I just released my own playtest, it might come across like I was stealing WoTC's idea by calling it the same thing and doing a similar thing.

But I guess that seems par for the course, because I've also had specialized traits for weapons that certain professions had, and WotC's recent UA had that too. Wait a minute, is someone at WotC using my playtests and taking my ideas? ;) :p

1688171788206.png

I'm a fan of them trying something new with the Rogue. Reminds of watching Dimension 20's Starstruck Odyssey. The rogue in that (5e Star Wars rules with different fluff) could trade in sneak attack dice for other effects.

Random thought: should Cunning Strike cost an additional 1d6 for ranged attacks? Ranged combat is just so much safer than melee and this feels like a place where some balance can be found.

A size limit on knocking prone also feels like a good idea.

Remove ads