• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, Dark Sun: It's officially out. What do you think of it?

VGmaster9

Explorer
Btw, has anyone ever done a campaign that has a Conan-esque feel and there are different sexy girls (like from Frank Frazetta's and Boris Vallejo's art) involved?

Oates

First Post
Ran Mongoose's Conan ... lots of loin cloths and scantily clad damsels to be ... er ... rescued. :eek:

I am not sure that Dark Sun conveys the feel of Conan to me, but until now I haven't really thought about DS in that way. :hmm:

Irion

First Post
Btw, has anyone ever done a campaign that has a Conan-esque feel and there are different sexy girls (like from Frank Frazetta's and Boris Vallejo's art) involved?
Hey - first post for me here.

Regarding a campaign with a 'Conan-esque feel'...that's how I always saw Dark Sun. Granted, this was back during AD&D 2E.

I remember reading an article somewhere that indicated Howard, Burroughs and Frazetta were influences for Tim Brown, Troy Denning and Brom et al...so I sought out the 'source material' so to speak. That definitely influenced how I saw Dark Sun going forward...as a conflation of Barsoom and the Hyborian Age while still managing to have elements that were wholly unique.

The 'feel' in the campaigns I ran had more in common with sword and sorcery (bloody, barbaric and sensual with strange magics and mesmerism (psionics)) than Tolkien-esque high fantasy.

So the answer is yes. The original DS was and is my preferred fantasy setting and I ran it with all the trappings that Brom and Frazetta's art implied. ;) As for Brown and Denning's execution of the first boxed set and the Prism Pentad. I loved it. I was a kid so nostalgia plays a part. I have the new 4e books but have yet to read them.

Remove ads