• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So did anyone buy Champions of Ruin?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
So far since there's been no mention of Archfiends outside of Eltab and Mazilizad(sp), I'm not 100% sold on getting this. We'll see when I get around to checking out the new Barnes and Noble store that just opened in my area.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Shemeska said:
I'm still debating getting this or not. The stated reasons from Rich Baker for them making the Elder Eternal Evils so weak was, more or less, so as to make them attractive and valid targets for 20th level or so PCs.

That's...simply horrible. Seriously, it was this sort of thinking that made Imix a CR 14 creature in Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, which was a farce.

Simply put, powerful monsters shouldn't be made a target for mere 20th level characters. Seriously, if Mask is a lesser deity, and he's afraid of Kezef, four 20th level mortals should be suicidal to think of fighting him. I swear, 3E did a great job powering up monsters of less than CR 20, but monsters over that were weakened.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Well in regular D&D sure.

But there are some that stand out to me.

ToH monsters over 20 were more than powerful

Book of Fiends revision of Ibilis made him exceptional powerful (though not 100% sure he's CR 45 worthy...)

But yeah most D&D/WotC monsters of 20 CR or higher...suck.

Cold0

First Post
Could someone post the general class features and requirements for the justice of weald and woe and the vengeance knight?

Tharen the Damned

First Post
maybe spoiler

Isn´t there a Dracolich around with CR 45 or higher (posted by S.K. Reynolds in his Dragons of Faerun column? That Critter would eat the whole bunch of elder Evils for Breakfast.

And, as mentioned before, Elmisnter could take on most of them (and put them into a Zoo maybe? To raise Funds for Half-Orc Urchins...).

Maybe they are called "eternal" because nobody bothered to kill them off?

Last edited:

Felon

First Post
Alzrius said:
Simply put, powerful monsters shouldn't be made a target for mere 20th level characters. Seriously, if Mask is a lesser deity, and he's afraid of Kezef, four 20th level mortals should be suicidal to think of fighting him. I swear, 3E did a great job powering up monsters of less than CR 20, but monsters over that were weakened.

"Mere" 20th-level characters? WTF are you people talking about? :confused:

Oh, wait, this is FR, so every tough foe has to be gauged against Elminster or one of the Seven Sisters, is that about it? A 20th-level character is sort of like a "mere" 1st-degree black belt or something?

From reading the posts, I'm not sure if you guys are botherred that the three big E's are weak for their assigned CR, or that you'rre bothered that their CR itself is too low.

Last edited:

Belen

Adventurer
Meh! The book is not on my list and neither the the other Champions book. They really seem like a waste to me or an excuse to reprint material for a quick sale.

The comments in this thread make me really not want to even crack open the book.

Cold0

First Post
kilamanjaro, arnwyn,

Could you post some infos about the PrCs?

I just try to understand if the book is good enought for a non FR setting.

Thanx, anyway!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads