• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E So does any one know the process to create Formulas?, Spell Scroll Formulas?

Athinar

Explorer
Food for Thought (each Spell needs a formula to create a scroll)

Formulas for common and uncommon items might even be for sale, each with a cost double that of its magic item.

For Wizards and Sages

For each level of the spell scroll formula, the process takes 4 hours (or days) and costs gp (see chart). The cost represents material components you expend as you experiment with the spell scroll formula, as well as the fine inks you need to record the formula. Once you have spent this time and money and succeed on a save DC, you can then use the formula to prepare the spell scroll

When a formula is created for a spell scroll, the creator must succeed on an Intelligence (Arcana) check with a DC equal to 15 + the spell's level. If the check succeeds, the formula has been created

if the arcana check fails roll on the SCROLL MISHAPS when you create the first scroll

the only way to determine if the formula works is to test it by making a spell scroll

SPELL SCROLL (from the DMG)
Spell Level Rarity
Cantrip Common (priceless)
1st Common 100 Gp
2nd Uncommon 200 Gp
3rd Uncommon 300 Gp
4th Rare 1000 Gp
5th Rare 3000 Gp
6th Very rare 10000 Gp
7th Very rare 20000 Gp
8th Very rare 30000 Gp
9th Legendary (No formulas exist for legendary items)

cost of the Formula for a spell of the Wizard's school is half cost

price for magic items
Common 1st or higher 50-100 gp
Uncommon 1st or higher 101-500 gp
Rare 5th or higher 501 -5,000 gp
Very rare 11th or higher 5,001 - 50,000 gp
Legendary 17th or higher 50,001+ gp

Last edited:

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
How to find or devise the formula needed to craft a spell scroll, or magic item of any other kind, is not fully detailed (on purpose, I believe) so it is up to each DM to figure out what works for their group.

What is said in the DMG is that the formula should be one rarity category more rare than the item it would allow you to create, unless you want more prominent magic items for setting style reasons (i.e. a high-magic setting in which there are people alive in the world currently that can create legendary items).

I take that further and treat the formula as a magic item itself for purposes of determining the cost to buy it if it is found available for sale, and for purpose of crafting it yourself, with the exception being that a formula does not itself require a formula.

Leaving out my other house-ruling to the magic item crafting system, that would mean that in order to create the formula for a 1st level spell scroll, you would need to be at least 3rd level and have spell slots, and would spend 100 gp to research/devise the formula, taking 1 day per 25 gp (so 4 days) unless assisted in the task by more 3rd level characters.

That formula would then let you create a 1st level spell scroll with any 1st level spell that you can cast (or have someone that can cast it present to aid in the crafting), taking 50 gp and 1 day per 25 gp (so 2 days, again unless assisted by others).

BoldItalic

First Post
To craft a formula, you obviously need a formula-formula or 'meta-formula', which is one stage of rarity higher than the formula you are trying to create. And so on.

At the beginning of time, the gods created the entire cosmos with a meta-meta-meta-meta-formula which is so powerful that I can't even talk about it here.

Remove ads