• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So educate me about iPods ...

... and other portable music devices. Any recommendations? Good/bad features? Ones to avoid? Good websites for this sort of information?

My brother-in-law is a real music afficionado, but has put so much time and effort into his scooter business over the last few years that he's missed the whole mp3 revolution. At one time he used to make a lot of his own mix CDs and whatnot, and he's always owned Apple computers. My wife and I figured we'd bring him up to date with an iPod or similar device -- problem is, we're not big music people, and so know little about them. I've ripped/burned CD mp3s for a car stereo, but never used a portable. The concept of having one device as a repository for your music library that can then function as a portable music player or input for car or stereo seems pretty neat, but I'm not educated on the details.

John Crichton

First Post
I almost bought an iPod. They are very cool but after some serious research I decided that Apple is a little behind in the features department. Now things may have changed in the last few months as new iPods are released so bear with me.

The first place I always check when buying new electronics is Cnet.com. Their editors are good and while they don't review all the products out there, they are pretty close. I also use the Gear section at IGN.

After much internal debate I ended up buying the iRiver 120.

IGN Review

Cnet Review

IGN Comparison article - Helpful stuff

The main reason was the remote control which has great functionality. Additionally, the 16 hour battery life is great (4 hours more than the newest iPod). And the last thing that sold me was the FM radio onboard for those times where I want to put on something different. Additionally, the drag-and-drop transfer of files is great. I can use the player as a backup for all my music if need be.

The iPod is the smallest, lightest, sleekest and easiest to use of the players out there and that's what helps make it so popular. The iTunes software is also very cool, especially if you already are an Apple user. Also, they have the biggest marketing power so people think that's all there is right now more often than not.

As far as your knowledge goes, it sounds like you get the jist of what the players can do. There are a few differences between the multiple options out there like whether to buy a player with a build in hard drive (like the iPod) or a model with removable media. The IGN article above should help give you more details about what is out there so you can make an informed choice.

Drengy

Explorer
> he's always owned Apple computers.

If he still owns a Mac, then the iPod is the only choice that makes sense. The iPod is so well-integrated into the Mac OS, it's a perfect extension of the computer. You can literally open the box, plug the iPod into the computer, and (if he already has music in iTunes), unplug the iPod 5 minutes later and walk out the door with 1000s of songs in his pocket. No software to install, no buttons to push, no files to drag. The iPod and Mac will sync automatically after just two or three onscreen choices.

As far as which iPod, the mini is the cheapest and smallest, but only holds about 1000 songs. The regular iPods can hold much more, and have more accessories.

The choice I think comes down to how and how often do you think he'll use it. If he takes the train/bus/walks to work, or if he runs or goes to the gym regularly, then he'll use it a lot, and I'd suggest the full-size model. If he's going to use it less often (because let's face it, the iPod is only useful if you need portable music) then go with the mini.

Bottom line: If he's a Mac user, then the iPod is the only sensible choice.

Hope this helps.

P.S. The iPod has less features on paper than some of the other portable MP3 players, but what it does do it does better than anything else out there. Its design (IMO) is as close to perfect as any consumer electronic device in the past decade.

And battery life is rarely an issue, unless you are taking multi-leg flights cross country. The newest revision of the iPod is rated at 12 hours, so even if real-world use is just 2/3rds that, you will still get 8 hours. If you are going to use the iPod all day at work or something, the power adaptor is smaller than a pack of cigarettes, so it's very easy to carry with you, or you can leave it at work.

Alan Shutko

Explorer
The iPod is a thing of beauty. Sure, it may not have as many widgets as its competitors, but it works, works well, and makes one happy to use it. With Macs, it's unparalleled. With PCs or anything else, it's still really great. I don't know of anyone with an iPod who ended up wishing they'd gotten a different device....

John Crichton

First Post
The Other Librarian said:
What's the shelf life pf the battery? I've heard people saying that once the battery is dead, ie dead dead, that you can't replace it. ANyone confirm/deny this?
I believe that if you send it in to the company they will replace it for a fee. Most of the newer batteries they put in they new players are made to take at least 1000 recharges before dying (usually more).

Olgar - As you can see from the responses so far, there are many ways to go with this. Some people swear by their iPod (I have used my friends', they are very cool) and other prefer a different brand. I say do a bit of research and make up your own mind because you know your brother-in-law better than any of us.

In the end, if you end up buying an iPod he won't be dissappointed. The functionality, the style and sound for the little unit is just simply great. It's a win-win with any of the top models. You're going to be spending at least $200 (another reason I didn't buy an iPod was the price) for a good one and they are worth the money.

KenM: ROFLMAO. Ugly, in'it.

The iRiver really looks cool. Were I buying for myself (and Windows) it might be a good choice, but since bro is a Mac guy, I'm concerned about Mac interface, and so may end up going with the iPod. Shame those flash players don't hold more then 512 Meg -- no moving parts is the way to go in my book.

Rackhir

Explorer
The Other Librarian said:
What's the shelf life pf the battery? I've heard people saying that once the battery is dead, ie dead dead, that you can't replace it. ANyone confirm/deny this?

You can purchase replacement batteries for them, in fact the newer ones generally have substantially longer lives (at least for the older Ipods).

Link to replacement Ipod Batteries

Mercule

Adventurer
My problem with most of these players is in getting tunes for them. I'd love to download music and don't mind paying $1/song. I just don't want a proprietary format like the iPod uses. Are there any options out there?

Remove ads