• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, eladrin's can teleport around? ..nail...coffin...rogue already obsolete?

Emirikol

Adventurer
So, the "eladrin" can teleport around eh? Most races can see in the dark. Magic can pretty much duplicate any "natural effect." What's the point of skills again? It will be interesting to see how the hypermagical system of 4E is going to balance this.

How do you suppose they will overcome making the rogue obsolete at 1st level? You dont' need his climb or stealth abilities if you can just teleport at 1st level. Is he just relegated to the role of comic relief in 4E?

jh

Last edited:

Oreot

Explorer
I imagine the Eladrin's ability is something similar to the "jaunt" (conj specialization) alternate class feature for wizards in the PHB2. Ten foot limited times a day. Not saying its ten foot but that its wont be "teleport" or "dimension door." Thats the impression that I get.

I recall one of Mearls' recent comments about people going off about some particular detail, WITHOUT HAVING THE REST OF PICTURE.

We don't know how rogues are going to function. Proclaiming them unimportant, as the thread title does, is uncalled for and unsupported by anything we actually know about the game.

BlackMoria

First Post
I believe the ability has been revealed to be short ranged, line of effect necessary and usable X times per day. Also, I believe it has been hinted that this Eladrin ability may require pre-requisites and a feat/talent to take.

Line of effect is the main show stopper. No bopping to the other side of the door or around a corner because you don't have line of effect.

Patlin

Explorer
There are a bunch of low level teleport effects in 3e. Most of them require line of sight and line of effect, and have little impact on Rogues.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Because rogues have a higher % chance to successfully "run" in combat. The rogue says, "I run" and when he does, there is a chance the entire party gets away. Also, at class change (paragon level) they become ninjas and can dual wield, can use some black magic spells, and also get the "throw" ability-- which does horrendous amounts of damage, but expends the thrown weapon in the process. Some items, however, like the spoon, only work as thrown, and do 9999 damage per hit though!

Voss

First Post
And most races can't see in the dark anymore. Even dwarves are losing darkvision.

And there is no indications about how often this can be used, line of effect, etc.

It in no way invalidates hide, opening locks, or a lot of the other things rogues can do. Over-reacting to a lack of details isn't particularly useful.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
My abortive Eberron Savage Tide campaign had a dragonmarked heir of House Orien in it. That once-per-day teleport actually just got him into trouble whenever he used it.

Also, let's keep something in mind, shall we? In a pseudo-medieval setting, door locks are not the sort of modern locks where you can open it from one side by turning a little nub in the handle or whatever. If the door's locked, it's locked from both sides - and so your teleporting eladrin would need to pick the damn lock anyway.

With that level of technology, the only way an eladrin could get a door open from the other side is if it were barred on that side - and in that case, your rogue's Open Lock isn't going to do anything anyway.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
epochrpg said:
Because rogues have a higher % chance to successfully "run" in combat.

You know, stuff like this just ain't helping.

Back to topic: I agree we don't have enough info. Likely, they'll only be able to do this a limited number of times per day. Also, magic even in 3E is still no substitute for skills unless you're doing the 'going to bed at 10:15 am' thing. The mage does his little trick once, twice, that's it. The third, fourth and fifth time you need to sneak around, then you have the rogue and ranger out there doing their thing.

Counterspin

First Post
Even if the teleport doesn't require line of sight, hopping alone to the other side of a locked door seems like the sort of things that doesn't require fixing, natural selection should fix the problem. *bamf* *horrible elvish scream* Group turns to the rogue. "Why don't you open the door, and then all of us go in?"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads