Spoilers So, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire? [spoiler thread]

Good or bad?

• Good

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Bad

Votes: 4 23.5%

I think the containment realm is interesting. I imagine that it is an little extra-dimensional universe with a bunch of ghosts stuffed in there, like a manufactured Shadowfell or Hell.

The "heroes" don't think about the moral impact of imprisoning souls within, which prevents those souls from finding peace and passing on. To the ghosts, the Ghostbusters are evil monsters to be avoided.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I don't doubt it. Just a totally different set of expectations, though. The idea that a cocaine-fueled, largely improvised film has a "mythos" that needs to be revered and expected is alien to the folks who were too old for the cartoons.
Umm how are an ancient Sumerian diety, a Class 5 Full-Roaming Vapor, Ectoplasm and a PK Meter not part the mythos of the original movie? The genius of that movie was they had a good ghost story going and handed it to some great comedy talent, saying that it was largely improvised overlooks that the horror movie aspects were really important too

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Umm how are an ancient Sumerian diety, a Class 5 Full-Roaming Vapor, Ectoplasm and a PK Meter not part the mythos of the original movie?
I'm talking about how everything in Afterlife was treated as holy objects of reverence, complete with golden light being shined on them and dramatic music. It was all treated so seriously, the movie largely forgot it was a comedy, other than them pushing their Stay Puft wannabe Minions that will apparently be in every movie from now on.

Undrave

Legend
I think the containment realm is interesting. I imagine that it is an little extra-dimensional universe with a bunch of ghosts stuffed in there, like a manufactured Shadowfell or Hell.

The "heroes" don't think about the moral impact of imprisoning souls within, which prevents those souls from finding peace and passing on. To the ghosts, the Ghostbusters are evil monsters to be avoided.
Not all ghosts are actual people, though, they’re mostly psychokinetic manifestations and echoes. Slimer was never an actual guy, for exemple. They actually go into the containment unit in one of the Real Ghostbusters episodes, the one where they accidentally catch the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future which leads to Ebenezer Scrooge leading a campaign to erase Christmas. In extended lore, the ghosts are basically nuclear waste: there’s no escaping entropy and they will just degrade over time by losing energy.

There is some fun stuff to do with exploring full manifestations like Melody or Egon in the last movie, but they should be treated as a rarity.
I'm talking about how everything in Afterlife was treated as holy objects of reverence, complete with golden light being shined on them and dramatic music. It was all treated so seriously, the movie largely forgot it was a comedy, other than them pushing their Stay Puft wannabe Minions that will apparently be in every movie from now on.
Admittedly I didn't bother with Afterlife, because the idea of 'Gozer, but again' didn't interest me. I just read the synopsis before seeing Frozen Empire. I wouldn't say a 'mythos to be revered', more a 'formula to build a mythos upon'.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Admittedly I didn't bother with Afterlife, because the idea of 'Gozer, but again' didn't interest me. I just read the synopsis before seeing Frozen Empire. I wouldn't say a 'mythos to be revered', more a 'formula to build a mythos upon'.
You've got to watch Afterlife. I cannot adequately describe the tone in that movie.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

Thats fair, but I actually like the more subdued tone of Afterlife, trying to match the original tone wouldve been a mistake (cf 2016!), making it a ‘family movie’ was a better idea. The golden glow on Egon was corny but it was suppose to be tribute, the others were for nostalgia and relaunching the franchise, I didnt mind them ….

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Thats fair, but I actually like the more subdued tone of Afterlife, trying to match the original tone wouldve been a mistake (cf 2016!), making it a ‘family movie’ was a better idea. The golden glow on Egon was corny but it was suppose to be tribute, the others were for nostalgia and relaunching the franchise, I didnt mind them ….
🤷‍♂️

Yeah, different strokes for different folks.

It's funny; I've got an extremely high quality cosplay Ghostbusters uniform I wear to cons and for Halloween, but the movie franchise now feels like it's very much not for me. I might need to think of another fandom that has such a recognizable costume that I could build something and have it be sturdy enough and recognizable enough to use for decades whenever I need a costume. The other big contenders, Star Wars and Harry Potter, I have other issues with.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I might need to think of another fandom that has such a recognizable costume that I could build something and have it be sturdy enough and recognizable enough to use for decades whenever I need a costume. The other big contenders, Star Wars and Harry Potter, I have other issues with.
Back to the Future? Not the most elaborate cosplay but Marty's ski jacket with no sleeves look is pretty recognizable.

If you wanted less recognizable I'd suggest Madmartigen from Willow.

Undrave

Legend
🤷‍♂️

Yeah, different strokes for different folks.

It's funny; I've got an extremely high quality cosplay Ghostbusters uniform I wear to cons and for Halloween, but the movie franchise now feels like it's very much not for me. I might need to think of another fandom that has such a recognizable costume that I could build something and have it be sturdy enough and recognizable enough to use for decades whenever I need a costume. The other big contenders, Star Wars and Harry Potter, I have other issues with.
What about Star Trek? Lots of uniforms to choose from!

Remove ads