• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So has the D20 STL been officially revoked?

Ranger REG

Explorer
I dont know if it is or isnt, since I havent seen the revised GSL and dont know if it will be finalized. I think it will, but I dont know.
It's an honest answer.

I have yet to see what WotC offer in the way of d20 Modern 2.0, whether it will be D&D Modern or just as its predecessor, another variant d20 System.

phloog

First Post
Not sure if this thread has been completely forked (that doesn't sound right) yet, but more on the Necromancer/4E stuff:

I'm interested in how you could do it - selfishly, concerned about how you could do it to the DEGREE I would need to embrace 4e.

As a couple of examples, I'm not pleased with:

1) Focus of wizards on blasting/controlling, and the removal of most 'utility' magic to rituals

2) The degree to which so many abilities are: Damage X plus move figure Y spaces....(frankly, in my dream 4th edition you get rid of almost all these shift-the-pawns powers)

3) Horribly designed (though admittedly corner case) abilities that have some damaging effect on a MISS...thinking here of (oddly enough) the power Orcus has that can potentially do more damage to you on a MISS than on a hit. (Details: Touch of Death...I have a max hit points of 100 and a Bloodied of 50....I am down to 29 hit points...if he hits me I take 29 to drop to 0, if he misses me I take 50 to drop to negative 21 and about halfway to completely dead)

I am extremely curious to see what sort of things you'd do here. The easy route is to produce a whole pack of new powers that take the form of #2.

I will admit that I am not clever enough at this moment to think of any supplemental material that could resolve my biggest issues and still be compatible fully with core 4E, but I think that if anyone could do it you or Mr. Cook could.

CapnZapp

Legend
Yeah, you should probably fork that.

On the possibility of Necromancer being, well, ressurrected, obviously I'd be happy (considering I've left 3E behind and don't think I will ever look back; 4E sure have issues, but they're much simpler to ignore than 3E's issues) but first let's see whether WotC does in fact manage to squeeze out a useable GSL or not. :)

Orcus

First Post
1) Focus of wizards on blasting/controlling, and the removal of most 'utility' magic to rituals

2) The degree to which so many abilities are: Damage X plus move figure Y spaces....(frankly, in my dream 4th edition you get rid of almost all these shift-the-pawns powers)

3) Horribly designed (though admittedly corner case) abilities that have some damaging effect on a MISS...thinking here of (oddly enough) the power Orcus has that can potentially do more damage to you on a MISS than on a hit. (Details: Touch of Death...I have a max hit points of 100 and a Bloodied of 50....I am down to 29 hit points...if he hits me I take 29 to drop to 0, if he misses me I take 50 to drop to negative 21 and about halfway to completely dead)

I will admit that I am not clever enough at this moment to think of any supplemental material that could resolve my biggest issues and still be compatible fully with core 4E, but I think that if anyone could do it you or Mr. Cook could.

I agree with your post, to some degree. I dont mind the "effect even on a miss" issue. I think that is cool. BUT it has to be balanced so that powers arent better on a miss. But I dont object to the idea that a "miss" can still have a partial success.

As for do X damage and move Y spaces, I agree. I dont like that 4E makes D&D into checkers. I'm chaning things back to feet. You arent tied to the grid. The grid is there to help you, not constrain you.

I also agree that too much of 4E is focused on combat damage on the grid--blast powers, etc. I want to restore the utility powers. Not everythign is combat.

phloog

First Post
I agree with your post, to some degree. I dont mind the "effect even on a miss" issue. I think that is cool. BUT it has to be balanced so that powers arent better on a miss. But I dont object to the idea that a "miss" can still have a partial success.

As for do X damage and move Y spaces, I agree. I dont like that 4E makes D&D into checkers. I'm chaning things back to feet. You arent tied to the grid. The grid is there to help you, not constrain you.

I also agree that too much of 4E is focused on combat damage on the grid--blast powers, etc. I want to restore the utility powers. Not everythign is combat.

(sorry for my ignorance - if someone could PM me on proper 'forking' technique and etiquette I'd appreciate it, but I couldn't find a way to fork this into a different forum, and the fork wouldn't really be GSL/Legal - so it would seem to be in the wrong place when forked)

I think that I could live with "Impact on Miss" powers, but exactly as you say, somehow managed with something as simple as "Maximum Impact on a Miss <= minimum impact on a Hit" -- I think you break the whole feel and sense of the game as soon as you've built up a character to have higher and higher modifiers, then give a situation where a miss is more desirable.

I like the independence from the grid aspect - if I didn't have so many die-hard 3.x players and a lack of 3pp support this would have driven me to True20 for more games.

So, essentially your intent is to fix everything I don't like about 4e...let me know if you need any (free) help with that.

Not to further fork it, but now I'm curious about the online tools...I have no huge interest in them and so haven't looked at them, but I bet they are so greatly enslaved to the grid that they would be somewhat incompatible with what you're talking about here.

merelycompetent

First Post
(A lot of really cool stuff that I agree with, plus...) ...I also agree that too much of 4E is focused on combat damage on the grid--blast powers, etc. I want to restore the utility powers. Not everythign is combat.

I just found this thread and read through it today.

Looks like Necromancer may put a dent in my fun money this year. At the very least, I am now very interested in your plans.

(If someone forks this thread, please put a link in so old gamers like me can follow the discussion to its new home. Thanks!)

This was a concern of mine as well. However I found that the Ritual system takes care this area in a lot better way. What rituals that are allowed goes a long way to determine the "feel" of a particular 4th edition setting.

Leif

Adventurer
(If someone forks this thread, please put a link in so old gamers like me can follow the discussion to its new home. Thanks!)
Not to worry. The system automatically does this whenever you fork. ;)

[Hey, we Geezers have to look out for each other! :D ]

Last edited:

Q1000

First Post
Question on original post

Where can i find the origianl post from Scott about the end of the D20 3.5publishing licence? Was this sent to all publishers or is it up to them to discover this information on there own?

Q

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Where can i find the origianl post from Scott about the end of the D20 3.5publishing licence? Was this sent to all publishers or is it up to them to discover this information on there own?

Q

It is somewhere on ENWorld. It was posted like March/April of '08.

Remove ads