• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So...How are Sales of 4E Product?

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I'm not sure how the latest offereings are selling, but my FLGS actually overordered on the three main books. On the street date, they put them out and were sold out inside of two hours. He said people he'd never seen before were showing up to get their core books. They've kept up a steady stream of sales of the core, at least.

From what I have seen, not so well. The store owner has heard it be suggested that urban areas are selling 4e very well while rural areas are sticking with 3.5.

I wonder if that has to do with economic conditions / general money or if that is even true.

Crothian

First Post
Around here they seem to be selling well. I see them being restocked. I'm also suprised I haven't seen any at the used book stores. I figured there would be some people who bought them and didn't like them so would sell them. There are tons of 3.5 books though at the used books stores.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I think that Mike Mearls issued a statement early on, shortly after the game's release, stating that it had outsold all previous editions of D&D (in total units) at that time.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Initial sales on the gift set were incredible! PHBs have sold well. But I seriously overbought DMGs and MMs (I didn't decrease their numbers when I increased the gift sets on my preorders.)
Current sales on core books are slow. Forgotten Realms books have sold pretty well, and the Adventurer's Vault has been very good. DM Screens have been a big seller, with continued strong sales.
Character Record Sheets have been a disappointment.
Starter Sets have sold well.
Dungeon tiles have also had very strong sales.

These are our results, not meant to be a blanket statement on state of the industry.

FriarRosing

First Post
I bought the gift set and my players each bought a player's handbook without complaining, which was a first ("too much money!" et cetera, et cetera).

Buying the Fourth Edition books also inspired me to start buying books of the older editions too. Not that that really means anything.

But all the local book stores seem to have sold them out pretty fast. Or, sold out the PHBs, anyway. My local gaming store was out of PHBs for a long time, and after it came out they sold out of the Adventurer's Vault and Dungeon Master's Screen pretty fast too. They're well stocked on modules, though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads