• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, how do you do the Scry-Buff-Teleport thing again?

VirgilCaine

First Post
Jack Simth said:
... Or have a piece of them. Or have seen them. Or have an item of theirs. Or have a picture of them (although such things have +/- adjustments on the will save).

Or have seen their illusion spell or a picture of their illusion spell.

S'mon

Legend
Infiniti2000 said:
You certainly don't need wish, discern location is good enough. Sure, mind blank protects against discern location, but it also foils wish.

Well, first you Wish to overcome the Mind Blank... :p
This is why it can take 2 Wishes if the anti-scry spells are heavy.

S'mon

Legend
Infiniti2000 said:
You certainly don't need wish, discern location is good enough. Sure, mind blank protects against discern location, but it also foils wish.

I just read "Discern location" - it doesn't say anything about being able to teleport to the location. It says the spell reveals "the name of the creature's location, community/county, country, continent and plane" - but it doesn't give a viewscreen image or even a reliable description of the location that would let you teleport there, from what I can see of the wording of DL vs Teleport & Greater Teleport.

S'mon

Legend
Infiniti2000 said:
There's no difference, yet dimensional lock cannot be keyed to the unhallow.

It doesn't say you can't key a d-lock to a hallow, it just doesn't list it in the "spells that may be tied to a hallowed site include" list, which is non-exhaustive.

S'mon

Legend
Hypersmurf said:
People know if they succeed at a Will save. You don't know anything if you fail it.

Succeeding on a Saving Throw: A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack.

Maybe a 3e change. It's still important though - if you try to scry the BBEG & fail, he knows he's under magical attack.

Infiniti2000

First Post
S'mon said:
I just read "Discern location" - it doesn't say anything about being able to teleport to the location. It says the spell reveals "the name of the creature's location, community/county, country, continent and plane" - but it doesn't give a viewscreen image or even a reliable description of the location that would let you teleport there, from what I can see of the wording of DL vs Teleport & Greater Teleport.
For greater teleport, you "need not have seen the location." Knowing your victim is in the Shearing Pen tavern in Greyhawk is a sufficient description IMO. I'd wager that's it's sufficient in most people's opinion, but I could see your point if you choose to rule otherwise.
S'mon said:
It doesn't say you can't key a d-lock to a hallow, it just doesn't list it in the "spells that may be tied to a hallowed site include" list, which is non-exhaustive.
If there's a list, it's exhaustive. I don't know why you think you can add spells to the list. It doesn't say, "some of the spells include ..." or even "you can key spells similar to ..."
S'mon said:
Maybe a 3e change. It's still important though - if you try to scry the BBEG & fail, he knows he's under magical attack.
I agree. He might also be able to get a Spellcraft check to figure it out.

Gez

First Post
There's always the trick with the illusion.

Have one room in your mansion be wholly trapped with a lot of nastiness, and utterly closed (although it doesn't show from the inside of the room, all doors are securely walled-in). Leave a permanent unseen servant to clean it up so that it doesn't look deserted, and a few continual torches for light. Make it look as if it could be your lab/desk/sanctum/etc.

Now, have your own lab/desk/sanctum be actually a very different room (not the same materials), yet with a similar enough size and arrangement. Use a permanent illusion to disguise it as your trapped room.

Someone scries you, often enough to study your location (that really seems to be the trapped room), then teleport using the bogus information, and find himself locked in a trapped room, while you stay undisturbed.

S'mon

Legend
Infiniti2000 said:
If there's a list, it's exhaustive. I don't know why you think you can add spells to the list. It doesn't say, "some of the spells include ..." or even "you can key spells similar to ..."

Because it uses the word "include" - writers do this when they don't want to exclude. :)

S'mon

Legend
Infiniti2000 said:
For greater teleport, you "need not have seen the location." Knowing your victim is in the Shearing Pen tavern in Greyhawk is a sufficient description IMO. I'd wager that's it's sufficient in most people's opinion, but I could see your point if you choose to rule otherwise.

From my reading of GT you have to be able to visualise the location - either you've seen it, or you have eg a picture or a map & detailed text or verbal description of the location. If you can't visualise the location you can't T or GT there.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads