• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So how long have YOU been playing D&D?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Summer of '83.

Got the red box set that summer and got the blue expert set a week after and then a few weeks after that I got the 1E Monster Manual because I happened upon it on clearance at Toys R' Us for like $4.99 (I think the price tag is still on it) and I convinced my older sister who I was there will to buy it for me.

I got the 1E Fiend Folio for my 12th birthday a month or so later.

BSF

Explorer
I started in autumn of '80 or so. Red book/Blue book basic/expert set. I know there are at least 2 people in my gaming groups that have been playing longer than I have.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
delericho said:
Newbie! :)

(Sorry, couldn't help myself.)
:uhoh: :lol:

Now if the question was when one began role-playing I'd have been able to claim c. 1943 when all the kids in my neighborhood were playing cops & robbers, cowboys & Indians, or war...if not some other form of Let's Pretend.

But as a matter of fact I was LARPing with a game master overseeing our play when I was age nine.

Cheers,
Gary

PhantomNarrator

First Post
I was role-playing before I ever saw a copy of D&D

But I still remember my first game, exploring the Caves of Chaos during recess sometime in September of 1981. Ah, salad days.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - thanks Gary!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
PhantomNarrator said:
But I still remember my first game, exploring the Caves of Chaos during recess sometime in September of 1981. Ah, salad days.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - thanks Gary!
Indeed :D

The magic of early FRPG experiences is something we all share. I remember DM Rob Kuntz's expression when I betrayed my PC's lust for gems when encountering dwarves in their mine. Yrag was warned and did not attempt to wreak mayhem and then pillage despite the temptation... :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Vaynor

First Post
Geez, I feel like a noob... :D I started in 2002. My step-dad introduced me to the game, he started to play around the 1980's.

Lord Ravinous

First Post
I've been playing....since my freshman year of High School I think (I'm 23 now), started with 2nd ED played the same character basicly the entire way through HS, a Necromancer with an Int of 12 and a Wisdom of 16 and a 6 Con, lol, fun times. Kaul Ravinous, lol, nearly everyone in the party hated him, except for the Cyric worshiping fighter....he was the only friend I had. Those were the days before I got into actually "role-playing", it was bascily, kill stuff, accumulate XP, and horde treasure....still, fun times. I've never been able to recapture that feeling. Dunno if its simply me, or if the newer Systems arn't as "open" as 2nd ED.

All the same, I love my hobby, and without Gary Gygax, I wouldn't be sitting here today, or in my friends basement this coming Thursday. Thanks man, we all love ya.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads