D&D 5E So How Long Will 5E Last For?

Oofta

Legend
I pretty much disagree with everything in the OP so I'm going to say ... no new edition in foreseeable future. I could see a book with a significant set of options that would change some things around and give people suggestions on how to tailor the game to their group.

It's pretty obvious they're working on a new book or two with new classes, feats and an expanded ruleset. But that's a long way from a new version.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
5E hits on all cylinders for me. I think I'm done on the treadmill of converting my campaigns each edition.

A book of expanded rules, and psionics would be nice.

I'm set for a lifetime after that.

Zardnaar

Legend
I pretty much disagree with everything in the OP so I'm going to say ... no new edition in foreseeable future. I could see a book with a significant set of options that would change some things around and give people suggestions on how to tailor the game to their group.

It's pretty obvious they're working on a new book or two with new classes, feats and an expanded ruleset. But that's a long way from a new version.

I never claimed 6E would land antime soon. 8 to 10 years was my guesstimate.

If 6e is announced in January of next year, 5e will have lasted as long as 4e. And if 6e isn't released in 2019, 5e will have lasted longer than 3.5e. Both of these seem very unlikely.
But it seems super unlikely that they'll resort to that. Not without a revised PHB or attempt to tweak the product lines.
The big goal is making it past 2021, to surpass 3e as a whole in longevity.

5e seems to be doing very well on Amazon and in game stores. D&D seems to be getting a lot of visibility online. A surprising amount really. It's pretty easy to say 5e is not just doing well, but is actually a hit. It's not just maintaining an acceptable number of sales or selling well compared to RPG books, but doing well compared to books in general.

It makes sense that Meals would admit that they might do a 6th Edition eventually. That's just being honest. He's not going to lie and say "No 6e ever. This is it." No one believe Bill Slavicsek when he said Essentials would be an evergreen edition that would always be in print (didn't even make it a year).
But people aren't ready for it yet. Too many people are still playing and enjoying the game. Few people have exhausted the edition.

Personally, I'm still on my first real campaign with a couple mini games and play test games under my belt. I can do a couple more mini games and a couple more campaigns before I'll have played as much 5e as I did Pathfinder. And 5e is a less broken game. That's not counting breaks to try other systems: always a good idea. Looking forward to some FFG Star Wars. Maybe some Vampire. I could play 5e until 2020 without issue.

Though I do hold out hope for "D&D tactics" (i.e. 4.5). Which Merls also mentioned. I'll guess 2-3 years for that.
Maybe do that with WizKids or GaleForce9 as a boxed set with minis. Include power cards and the like.

Shiroiken

Legend
While I'd love to see 5E stay Evergreen, that's not gonna happen in our Instant Society, where we demand the latest and greatest RIGHT NOW! I think it has a decent chance to last a decade or so, due to the flexibility of the framework, but I doubt it will. I think a 5.5E is more likely than a full edition change, fixing some of the larger problems (*cough* Ranger *cough*). I'd say we might see an updated edition within the next 4-5 years.

At this point, I'm fine with 5E. I don't have any need for 6E and my players would revolt if I even suggested the idea of switching to 6E, at this point.

I find 5E easy to run and fairly simple to import pre-4e content into without too much hassle.

I don't need or want 6E.

Oofta

Legend
I never claimed 6E would land antime soon. 8 to 10 years was my guesstimate.

"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future." I wouldn't start taking bets on when (or if) there will be a 6E just yet.

Most of the things you see as bugs in the system I see as features, or easily fixed. Don't like the -5/+10 feats? All feats are optional, so ban those.

But no system is perfect, and no system can be a fit for everyone. I've made a few tweaks to the rules here and there for my home game, I think it's easier to customize this version. YMMV of course.

Zardnaar

Legend
"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future." I wouldn't start taking bets on when (or if) there will be a 6E just yet.

Most of the things you see as bugs in the system I see as features, or easily fixed. Don't like the -5/+10 feats? All feats are optional, so ban those.

But no system is perfect, and no system can be a fit for everyone. I've made a few tweaks to the rules here and there for my home game, I think it's easier to customize this version. YMMV of course.

Well someone may want to use feats but not the -5/+10. We dealt with them in various ways.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
My guesstimation is that we might see a Player's Handbook 5.5 in probably 3 years (2020). We won't, however, see any revised DMG or MM because they both continue to work fine to accomplish what they want for 5E. It's only the problem issues with the player material in the PH that could possibly use a revision after a while, wherein they could "fix" things they've (and part of the playerbase) found issue with.

Two years ago we got the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, last year we got Volo's Guide To Monsters, this year we're getting the Big Book O' Mechanics. Which means next year my bet is either a DM's supplement, or (if the BBOM that comes out this fall includes a lot of the DM stuff that I'd expect in a full DM supplement) we are going to get another Adventurers Guide, but for one or more of the other campaign settings. Then in 2019 we'll get another monster book, and then in 2020 the new player's material book (revised or just added material).

Remove ads