• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So I got Spring Attack Now what?

Gog

First Post
So what would be a good feat to back up Spring Attack?

"Cade Ovak: Male Halfling(Deep) Bbn2/Rog4/Sct3; CR 9;
Small Humanoid (Halfling);
HD 4d6+3d8+2d12+18; hp 65;
Init +6; Spd 40 ft/x4;
AC 22 (+5 armor, +5 dex, +1 size, +1 deflection), touch 17, flat-footed 22;
Base Atk/Grapple +7/+5;
Full Atk +11/+6 Two-handed (1d8+4;20/x2, +1 Greatclub), +10/+5 Two-handed
(1d6+2;18-20/x2, Silver falchion), +10/+5 One-handed (1d4+2;19-20/x2,
Short Sword), +13/+8 Two-handed (1d6+2;20/x3, Composite Longbow [+2]);
SA&SQ Fast Movement(Ex), Rage, Uncanny Dodge(Ex), Improved Uncanny Dodge(Ex),
Trap Sense(Ex), Trackless Step(Ex), Evasion(Ex), Fast Movement(Ex),
Sneak Attack, Trapfinding(Ex), Skirmish(Ex), Battle Fortitude(Ex);
AL CN; SV Fort +9, Ref +13, Will +3;
Str 14(+2), Dex 20(+5), Con 14(+2), Int 10(+0), Wis 10(+0), Cha 10(+0);
Skills: Balance¹ +9, Climb¹ +4, Disable Device +11, Hide¹ +20, Knowledge (Local
Nyrond) +1, Listen¹ +10, Move Silently¹ +16, Ride¹ +7, Search¹ +11,
Sleight of Hand +11, Spot¹ +4, Tumble +16.
Feats: Dodge (PH 93), Mobility (PH 98), Spring Attack (PH 100)."

nittanytbone

First Post
Power Attack is especially good for small characters, especially with Spring Attack. The idea is that you spring in, whallop 'em good, then spring out. You can switch to a two-handed weapon and ditch the shield; spring attack will usually keep you far from an enemy full attack.

It is the best way to reliably increase your damage output against everything (remember, lots of stuff is immune to SA/Skirmish damage) when you can only get one attack per round.

Last edited:

kjenks

First Post
The feat that adds 5 ft movement: Dash

Other feats to consider: Improved Toughness, Ellusive Target, Extra Rage. Be careful, though: No Tumble while raging.

Next level, with a fighter level to give you enough BAB, you can get Improved Critical (Falchion), but your base damage isn't big enough for that to make a really big difference, even on a crit.

Gog

First Post
Thanks guys, and if it matters, I just hit ninth level. I'm not set on that 4th rogue level.

I definatly hadn't thought about PA, Elusive target is the front runner right now.

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
What books do you have access to?

PHB2 has a number of feats that build onward from Spring attack, basically allowing you to get a 2nd and 3rd hit on the target as you do the spring attack.

Cleave may be pretty decent too vs Fodder. Get in, score a kill, inflict Cleave attacks, and get out.

Also consider using a reach weapon. You can avoid suffering AoO as you spring in and out of combat.

END COMMUNICATION

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Lord Zardoz said:
What books do you have access to?

PHB2 has a number of feats that build onward from Spring attack, basically allowing you to get a 2nd and 3rd hit on the target as you do the spring attack.

I believe he is not a high enough level for those.

Cleave may be pretty decent too vs Fodder. Get in, score a kill, inflict Cleave attacks, and get out.

Power attack is a prerequisite that he does not currently have.

Also consider using a reach weapon. You can avoid suffering AoO as you spring in and out of combat.

END COMMUNICATION

You already avoid AOOs with the feat chain, and at worst he already has a bit bonus to AC from AOO due to movement.

While I agree with you that a reach weapon and spring attack can be a good combo, I disagree that the reach weapon has much to do with AOOs that you might receive. Instead, it's good because you can move in, flank, attack, and move back to a distance that will cause your foe to draw an AOO from you if they try to attack you back (as they cannot just take a 5' step to get to you, unless they also have reach).

Slaved

First Post
I do not see it mentioned anywhere so what about that feat from complete scoundrel that lets your scout and rogue levels stack for certain purposes? That would get you some immediate benefit.

There are also other feats for letting various classes stack although I can not think of any for barbarian and anything else.

nittanytbone

First Post
Gog said:
Thanks guys, and if it matters, I just hit ninth level. I'm not set on that 4th rogue level.

I definatly hadn't thought about PA, Elusive target is the front runner right now.

Elusive target is pretty good too, for defensive purposes. The problem is that as a small character, your ability to exploit the tripping opportunities in elusive target is not very good.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads