• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So i just finished reading phb lite and pregen characters

Duckforceone

First Post
So i have downloaded the phb lite, and the pregen characters.

And after browsing it all, i must say, i love what i see even more.

When i played a 1st level wizard in ye olde days, i didn't feel like much of a wizard, more like an apprentice that ran away with 1 useful spell.

This character, truly makes me feel like a competent wizard from the get go. I feel powerful, i feel magic. And it gives me great rpg tools as well... i can now use mage hand as often as i like, making it easier to avoid some traps or to annoy people. Combined with ghost sound at will, it's a great little thing to start off with. And this is not even delving into the hard hitting spells.

The tanks, are alot more than just tanks. Now they got even more tactics than ever before, without having to know all sorts of obscure rules, or testing the rules limit. Now you have to focus on moving, shifting and pushing, as well as attacking. And most of it can now be done at the same time. Even AoE attacks from the get go, letting you draw aggro much easier and be a tank in more than a name.

The ranger, suddenly became cool with his ranged attacks. Once in a normal game he would get charged, he would not be good for much. Now he can shift back, and keep up the ranged attacks.

The cleric, ahhh no more the "i try to heal my tank who's at 10hp", "well the monster has reach, so you are in a threatened area, so attack of opportunity, and you are hit and lose your spell concentration. Now the fighter gets attacked and goes down. No more of this stuff. Heal from a distance, let's the cleric be on the front lines, and the new combat system, allows him to be quite good in melee as well.

And the general rules system, i would not call it simple, i would call them natural. When i read them, they make sense, and seem easy to remember, because it just feels natural. It's the way i have always wished 3rd ed would have been.

It welcomes new players, because it's not really that complicated. It gives everyone something to do, all the time. No more standing back, conserving your last fireball, or heal. This brings action in every single encounter back to the table. Makes every character usable in most situations.

of course, all of this is based on the few rules i have seen, but the synergy i feel in this new system, is just awesome.

can't wait for 4E. I'm a preorder, and i cannot wait. :D

thank you all for listening.

Last edited:

Duckforceone

First Post
thank you mate... :)

especially it can't get here fast enough as i first was told it would come out in april... and even saw the youtube vids that stated the same... and suddenly later that thay i find it's all been pushed to the 6th/7th of june...

and of course on the 6-8th of june, i'm running a large larp scenario.... :)

Orcus

First Post
I agree with all of you. I am running a 4E "test drive" myself with the same materials.

I am absolutely LOVING what 4E has done.

To me, 4E plays more like 1E than 3E did. Yes, it is a bit more in the amped up power department, but that is fun and good in my view. YMMV. I'm not trying to force my views on others. Just expressing my opinion.

Clark

Andur

First Post
Clark, come on, your forum name is Orcus, you have a demon as an avatar, you run NECROMANCER games. Of course you are trying to force your opinion on us. ;) Either that or overrun us with undead demonic hordes... :]

And I agree with ya, except I'm not sure if Caves of Chaos will TPK a party 9 times out of 10 still, I think it has dropped to 5 out of 10. :\

Glad you liked it, Duckforceone. Let's hope the rest is as good as what we have seen so far.

Orcus said:
YMMV. I'm not trying to force my views on others. Just expressing my opinion.
Said Orcus? Huh? Is this some kind of trick, old Devil?

Ah, now I get it. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, right?

;)

Henry

Autoexreginated
Duckforceone said:
of course, all of this is based on the few rules i have seen, but the synergy i feel in this new system, is just awesome.

can't wait for 4E. I'm a preorder, and i cannot wait. :D

thank you all for listening.

Keep in mind that the information seen so far is incomplete and partial; it's worth seeing the completed product before making a full judgment.

Remove ads