• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, I want to make an ooze...

Mark1733

Explorer
I have a couple new ideas for some oozes intended for lower level characters (2nd - 3rd). I would like some feedback and any additional ideas. I am trying for something that the party wouldn't expect from an ooze but not be so overpowering that they completely underestimate it to the point of TPK. They would certainly expect acid damage as many oozes use that way of breaking down matter and digesting. Here are some unique traits or special qualities I am thinking about. 1) "Ooze-bleck": Like modern compounds called ooblecks, this ooze is a shear-resistant fluid such that when you strike it with a weapon or other force attacks (including it magic missile?), it actually hardens and its Natural AC goes up 5 (or to a much higher prescribed AC, such as 20 or 25) or it gains damage reduction of some amount until the end of one full turn. In addition, sonic attacks slow it down rather than damage it. Add in a couple resistances, immunities (like acid or fire) for additional interesting challenge. Give it low damage or a vulnerability though to offset the combat challenges it presents. 2) Chartr-ooze: This otherwise clear ooze exhibits a faint bioluminescense of a greenish-yellow color. It is a carnivorous ooze, only able to digest animal matter. I hides at night, as it glows dim. During the day, it moves well among plants without hurting them, camouflaging as wetness on leaves, especially during the early morning when it can look like heavy dew. It attacks with several tendrils lashing out with reach at a single target. Again, low or no damage from the grabbing tendrils, with grapple and all the typical ooze fixin's to engulf opponents for dinner time. What do you think of these ideas? What other cool ooze tricks are out there? What susceptibilities would you think works well for either of these?

Last edited:

Belzbet

First Post
I say make your own ooze since the oozes in the MM's are generally weak (they dont have SR many dont have DR they have low AC, and really low saves, oozes are weak but deadly remember this, meaning they are easily killed but hard hitting)... THe conflagration ooze is a INT ooze that is badass make a variant of that ooze for lower level play... The genesis loci is a high level INT ooze that can be made weaker... Also remember oozes are more powerful in number 1 ooze aint really :):):):)... BUT if a party ran into a breeding ground of oozes (after ll they have to breed) then that may be a problem... This may not answer your question BUT consider the Intelligent oozes, they can make tactics that regular oozes cannot (and you can decrease creature power just the same as you can increase their power)

For uniqueness hit me up i made some badass temporal oozes that have some really unique abilities its totally homebrew (I made a whole line of temporal creatures since i wasnt satisfied with the ones given and my campaign setting is temporal heavy) if your interested in the stats of my temporal ooze hit me up (it is very unique and PC's hate when I give them temporal creatures but they are fun and not that OP) Also as a note your abilities are cool and I would just say make up your own ooze with those ability as a base and the oozes in the MM as a base for HP and AC etc... but yeah just make your own ooze that is similar but different than the oozes in the MM's (i really do think oozes are underwhelming PC's tear through them as given in the MM unless you throw them :):):):) loads of oozes; after all acid aint really :):):):) all it is is extra damage and split is actually weak as :):):):) since splitting makes the ooze have LOW HP and makes them easily killed, their immunities are moot since no PC will try and charm or sneak attack or stun (etc) an ooze)

Last edited:

Ragmon

Explorer
"Ooze-bleck": This one is a great idea (I just stole it for my campaign :D), I don't know about AC or DR increase either why not go for both? Now what I would add is when the ooze hardens its might slow down, gaining the "slow" condition in addition to the extra defense maybe even becoming immobile after certain number of stacks of AC/DR. I would even add that as it hardens it gets increasingly weaker against sonic attacks but stronger against acid fire and so on.

"Chartr-ooze": This sounds less like an ooze and more like a fungus type creature.

Check out Ebberon (or is it Eberron?) for Living Spells they have the ooze creature type, they are rather interesting.

Mark1733

Explorer
I need help with the taco bell joke too. Thanks for the nods in your posts, Belzbet and Ragmon. I like the concept of a "Breeding Ground" for oozes. That would be nasty to step into. Also, that idea inspired another idea for me -- ooze attractant trap. They start crawling out of the wordwork after a seemingly harmless (or even delightful) spray or dousing of some kind.

Stormonu

Legend
Most existing D&D oozes don't have ranged attacks, it would be nice to see one with it (perhaps spawning "lesser" oozes by throwing itself at its victim).

A shapeshifting ooze, like a lesser mimic, but without the ability to glue itself to an opponent.

Hypnotic ooze - like the cuttlefish, it can produce a shifting, hypnotic pattern to paralyze opponents before attacking.

A flying ooze - it defies gravity and moves through the air like one might expect it to ooze through water.

A pebble ooze - instead of being made of semi-organic matter, it is made of tiny pebbles or sand. It has a very high AC/DR and if sand, can use an abrasive attack instead of acid.

Ragmon

Explorer
A shapeshifting ooze, like a lesser mimic, but without the ability to glue itself to an opponent.
I have to disagree with this one, shapshifting would hint at some form of intelligence, and oozes have none.

Hypnotic ooze - like the cuttlefish, it can produce a shifting, hypnotic pattern to paralyze opponents before attacking.
I would like to point you to the Living Spell [Ooze] - Hypnotic Pattern (no its not described in the link).

A flying ooze - it defies gravity and moves through the air like one might expect it to ooze through water.
I loved this one, I imagined a soap-water ooze that "inhales" air and then as a bubble floats on the breeze and just like a bubble it descends pops and reeks havoc by exploding into many little oozes in the area. :D

Mark1733

Explorer
what about a slow digester (low damage) but quick to dissolve/process gold. when it "consumes" X amount of gold, it belches out gold particulates with an electric discharge. minor shock to nearest living crsature plus a glitterdust effect. worst of all--bye bye treasure.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads