• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, if a dragon swallows someone carrying a lot of potions....

Arthur Tealeaf

First Post
Ron said:
Would the potions be able to do the expected effect in a much more massive body?:)

Why should that matter? In that case, should a Large character or NPC gain reduced benefits from potions?

IIRC/IMO, potions have spells imbued in them that will affect on the imbiber when the ENTIRE potion is consumed, this means the dragon should gain the benefits, because the spells in question would work on the dragon if cast normally....

And, of course, since the entire potion has to be consumed, it wouldn't matter if it had a massive body! If the effect was proportional to the amount of potion consumed it would, but no.

Ps. I hate my grammar and spelling.

Last edited:

Winterthorn

Monster Manager
Hmmm... After having a quick look in the DMG, I haven't found anything to confirm one way or another what happens in 3E if more than one potion is consumed at the same time...

But if you're wondering what to do, consider this: potions are magic items, and can thus logically be treated like items worn. If you can benefit from 2 rings, but not the third, or from a magical robe worn over magical vestments, then one could "reasonably estimate" that 2 potions could work at the same time but a 3rd would have no effect. That way one could still benefit from a one healing potion at a time (since their effects are instantaneous) while enjoying the boost from a Potion of Heroism. However, a DM can reasonably say that if the PC were to have consumed both a Potion of Heroism AND a Potion of Charisma, healing potions would have no effect until either one of the long duration potions end.

So... all this to say IMO, a dragon devouring a character with whom there are many potions, should only benefit from a maximum of 2 potions at the same instant of time--randomly determined upon confirming digestion of course. As a DM, YMMV :)

YUM! ;)

-W.

Arthur Tealeaf

First Post
Winterthorn said:
Hmmm... After having a quick look in the DMG, I haven't found anything to confirm one way or another what happens in 3E if more than one potion is consumed at the same time...

But if you're wondering what to do, consider this: potions are magic items, and can thus logically be treated like items worn. If you can benefit from 2 rings, but not the third, or from a magical robe worn over magical vestments, then one could "reasonably estimate" that 2 potions could work at the same time but a 3rd would have no effect. That way one could still benefit from a one healing potion at a time (since their effects are instantaneous) while enjoying the boost from a Potion of Heroism. However, a DM can reasonably say that if the PC were to have consumed both a Potion of Heroism AND a Potion of Charisma, healing potions would have no effect until either one of the long duration potions end.

So... all this to say IMO, a dragon devouring a character with whom there are many potions, should only benefit from a maximum of 2 potions at the same instant of time--randomly determined upon confirming digestion of course. As a DM, YMMV :)

YUM! ;)

-W.

I don't really think you can treat potions like magic items in that respect, because as I understand it, when you drink it, a spell affects you, just as if you used a wondrous item or a wand to cast the spell! It would be a big assumption to make (that you can only be affected by two potions at a time) because the same limitation would than apply to every other spell-casting item out there (In my opinion)!

Last edited:

F5 said:

So he taunted the gragon, got eaten, and with his dying breath, activated the rods. The colossal thing was pinned in midair by its' throat. It was icky.

Wouldn't the rods have to overcome the Dragon's SR (if it had any)?
Also, "an immovable rod can support up to 8000lbs before falling to the ground." Many dragons will overload the rods - or at least have a chance of making the STR checks (DC30) to get some movement.
They could also figure out what's happened, and back off the rods if just in the mouth or throat rather than stomach. (They hover at a given point in the air - they aren't stuck to the dragon.)

Darren

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Nothing would happen.

In game terms, the dragon must unstopper and quaff the potion - drinking a potion is a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity and is required to gain the benefits of the potion. The dragon didn't take this action, hence gains no benefits.

Secondarily, and in real life terms, presumably the potions are stored in glass vials.

Acid doesn't dissolve glass. Thus, the potions never "get loose" in the dragon's system to begin with. So the dragon never actually ingests the potions and is unaffected by them - in the same way someone smuggling drugs in a balloon isn't affected by the drugs when he swallows them inside the balloon (for example).

Some people think too hard... I take the quick and easy way out because it's bedtime. ;)

--The Sigil

Arthur Tealeaf

First Post
The Sigil said:
Nothing would happen.

In game terms, the dragon must unstopper and quaff the potion - drinking a potion is a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity and is required to gain the benefits of the potion. The dragon didn't take this action, hence gains no benefits.

Secondarily, and in real life terms, presumably the potions are stored in glass vials.

Acid doesn't dissolve glass. Thus, the potions never "get loose" in the dragon's system to begin with. So the dragon never actually ingests the potions and is unaffected by them - in the same way someone smuggling drugs in a balloon isn't affected by the drugs when he swallows them inside the balloon (for example).

Some people think too hard... I take the quick and easy way out because it's bedtime. ;)

--The Sigil

You have a point, but wouldn't the vials take crushing damage in the dragons throat?

Arrrgh! Edit: I always forget to uncheck the damn signature box!

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
If you allow that you should allow for cocktail potions. You know, mixing in one flask several potion ("defense cocktail: mage armor, shield, blur and blink potions, all into one!) Or if mixing them before drinking doesn´t work, then make special flaks with several compartments that allow you to drink several porions at once.

Arthur Tealeaf

First Post
Yes, but if you mix three potions it would be thrice as much liquid and take about three times as long to drink...

But still, you have a point there...

Last edited:

Sejs

First Post
You have a point, but wouldn't the vials take crushing damage in the dragons throat?

Uh, you'd think that if he shattered a potion vial wither or not he got the effects of the potion would be the least of the dragon's worries.

Glass or pottery shards tend to do really unpleasant things to the inside of an esophagous.

Angcuru

First Post
Sejs said:
Uh, you'd think that if he shattered a potion vial wither or not he got the effects of the potion would be the least of the dragon's worries.

Glass or pottery shards tend to do really unpleasant things to the inside of an esophagous.

Revenge of the Swallowed PC.:D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads