• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So its all about combat again?

I don´t want skill challenges again.

I don´t want such a resolution system. But I want guidelines for the other two pillars. Good guidelines.

And I wan´t spells and skills that are useful inside and outside of combat. Generally things that can be applied in the fashion you need. This way, you can play the game you want.

Fenes

First Post
A robust system to handle "social combat" - like negotiations, con jobs, and spying - with as much depth as combat itself would be nice.

jadrax

Adventurer
I liked the basic idea behind Skill Challenges (I.E. reminding people that their skills can be useful in obviousness ways), but the system as presented was pretty lacklustre in my opinion. Still, if they put a bit of work into elevating it it could work. I am not going to dismiss mechanics just based on the name.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
Umm, how is wandering monsters tables not combat linked? It's not like you are going to talk your way past most of them. :D

First of all yes :D I once encountered a red dragon while wondering from point A to point B with a short cut the ranger thought he knew through the monster infested hills, we were 3rd level and had to reach our destination quickly, we managed to talk our way out of that one (and than hid like mice when the dragon realized we managed to trick him and came looking for us).

But I guess that I should have said random encounter tables with more than just monsters in them, my 2e DM used to have a % table with about 50-60 entries for each region and the 00 result would send you to the extremely cool stuff table. That how we found the secret unicorn pond and the shards of the statue of some goddess, not to mention that regular results could be bad weather or a centaur village.

Btw, I also liked the concept of skill challenges but never managed to pull them off, it's an interesting concept that just don't work in practice and I wouldn't want to see it come back.

Warder

pemerton

Legend
I include 4E in that. I have played adventures where skill challenges were run by the book--get X successes before Y failures, using the following skills--and it was the stupidest, boringest, immersion-wreckingest thing ever.
At the risk of a derailment, that's not "by the book". And in saying that, I'm not really meaning to take issue with you - your post is just the trigger for a more general point! - but to try to bring out an important aspect of non-combat action resolution.

What the books actually say to players is:

Your DM sets the stage for a skill challenge by describing the obstacle you face and giving you some idea of the options you have in the encounter. Then you describe your actions and make checks until you either successfully complete the challenge or fail. (PHB p 259)

It’s up to you to think of ways you can use your skills to meet the challenges you face. (PHB p 179)​

And to GMs, they say:

Begin by describing the situation and defining the challenge. (DMG p 74)

More so than perhaps any other kind of encounter, a skill challenge is defined by its context in an adventure… Define the goal of the challenge and what obstacles the characters face to accomplish that goal… You describe the environment, listen to the players’ responses, let them make their skill checks, and narrate the results. (DMG pp 72, 73)

When a player’s turn comes up in a skill challenge, let that player’s character use any skill the player wants. As long as the player or you can come up with a way to let this secondary skill play a part in the challenge, go for it… In skill challenges, players will come up with uses for skills that you didn’t expect to play a role. Try not to say no… This encourages players to think about the challenge in more depth… However, it’s particularly important to make sure these checks are grounded in actions that make sense in the adventure and the situation… you should ask what exactly the character might be doing … Don’t say no too often, but don’t say yes if it doesn’t make sense in the context of the challenge. (DMG pp 73, 75)​

I think this is all pretty straightforward. (The advice for setting DCs, on the other hand, remains wonky even through the Essentials books.) The GM describes a situation, the players describe how their PCs tackle it, checks are made based on that description, and the GM adjudicates the outcomes of those checks. The players then engage the new situation via their PCs, until the challenge either is overcome or overcomes, and the situation is thereby resolved (at X successes or 3 failures).

What is missing is a clear statement (i) of the rationale for the X succeses before Y failures structure, and (ii) of how to narrate the outcomes of checks so as to maintain the coherence of the fiction over the challenge. In my own case, I plugged those gaps by drawing on the better GMing advice found in other RPGs that have mechanics by which I assume skill challenges were inspired.

I also liked the concept of skill challenges but never managed to pull them off, it's an interesting concept that just don't work in practice
I don't agree with the end of your sentence. Skill challenges are a version of "extended contest" resolution systems seen in several systems, including HeroWars/Quest, Maelstrom Storytelling, and Burning Wheel's Duel of Wits.

Those systems work in practice, and so do skill challenges provided similar techniques are used. Here are some examples from my 4e game.

The rationale for an "X before Y" mechanic is much the same as the rationale for hit point depletion in combat: it gives a clear signal for when the conflict is resolved. (As opposed to relying on the mere intuition or fiat of one or more of the participants at the table.) I'm not saying that the skill challenge is the best or only way to do it - it is a "players roll all the dice variant", and that introduces certain oddities compared to the HeroQuest or Burning Wheel versions - but in its basic features it's a member of a well-established family of mechanics.

The tricky thing in any extended contest mechanic is to get the narration right - if you "close" too early, or leave matters "open" for too long, the narration and the mechanics can get out of whack. The standard solution to this problem is for the GM to metagame heavily in narrating the proceedings - ie in response to early successes, the GM introduces new, externally-sourced complications, and as the challenge is coming to an end, the GM has to be prepared to narrate in externally-sourced resolutions ("Ah, now I remember, you're the nephew of so-and-so who was my dear old friend . . ." would be a simple example of the latter).

The payoff is that (i) resoloving non-combat conflicts doesn't rely on GM fiat, and (ii) those conflicts occupy the same amount of time and dramatic "space" at the table as does combat, and hence contribute as much to the narrative. (I have seen it said that, because in a skill challenge the players can never win on their first skill check, no matter how brilliant their conception and execution, it is therefore a form of railroading. Key to running a skill challenge is realising that this mechanical impossibility is no different from the fact that, because of hit point rules, a PC cannot kill a dragon on the first blow, no matter how brilliant the ambush and how florid the narration of the vicious strike to the beast's neck. The whole point of hit point based combat, and of skill challenges, is to create extended contests. If you want quick combat, where one hit can kill, you use minions. If you want quick non-combat resolution, where one skill check can overcome a challenge, you use simple skill checks.)

Furthermore, the need for the GM to introduce complications as part of the process of resolution, and the need for the players to then respond to those complications, pushes the situation in unexpected directions. Interesting stuff happens, that no one wanted or had even thought of at the start, but that everyone is invested in by the time the conflict comes to an end. (This plays out differently from the compromise mechanic in a BW Duel of Wits, but performs something like the same functional role.)

Anyway, lessons for D&Dnext? If you want non-combat to be as significant a pillar as combat, you have to create resolution systems which (i) will make it have the same heft and depth at the table as combat, and (ii) will make players confident to invest PC-building resources into non-combat capabilities. Conversely, if non-combat action resolution is mostly single skill checks with huge amounts of GM fiat around the framing and the adjudication of the outcome, players have little incentive to invest PC-building resources (because no clear sense of what the payoff will be) and, when the chips are down, are likely to choose combat as a reliable and predictable resolution system, rather than relying on GM-fiated non-combat to get their PCs out of trouble.

There's other stuff that can be learned from skill challenges (and similar extended contest mechanics) too - like the importance of multi-dimensional stakes to encourage players to not always opt to engage via their highest numbers. A simple example from combat is the difference between melee and ranged - even a fighter with a fairly poxy ranged attack will still use that attack when his/her enemy can't be engaged in melee. Which is to say that combat can be framed in more dimensions than just "roll your attack skill and apply your damage". Similarly with non-combat - if you occasionally want the dwarf fighter to try to charm someone with CHA rather than intimidate them with STR, you need to frame situations where the stakes are multi-dimensional: for example, the player can see that his/her PC might be better off looking polite, even if the NPC ends up not being persuaded, than looking scary, even though that might be the easier route to persuasion.

This ties in to the GM metagaming the resolution, too: when the CHA check fails, for example, instead of the GM declaring that the dwarf tried to be charming but was in fact rude - which will just make the player resolve to always go for STR and intimidation - the GM narrates the dwarf being charming, but the NPC nevertheless declining to go along with the offer ("I would love to help, but sadly swore an oath to my now-dead father that precludes me from helping you in this endeavour" - that also opens up the door for another PC to try Religion, or even Forbidden Lore, to try to free the NPC from his/her oath!).

And it also helps if the stakes aren't always live or die - if the player knows his/her dwarf fighter will die unless the NPC helps, then no amount of desire to be seen as polite is going to override that! Using more subtle and nuanced stakes helps open up the space for a wider range of meaningful choices by players.

As far as its core stat check mechanics is concerned, D&Dnext is well-placed to support this sort of non-combat stuff. But it is going to need the mechanics to give it heft and pacing and freedom from mere fiat (some form of extended contest mechanics, even if not exactly skill-challenge style ones). And it is going to need better GMing advice than they were able to produce for 4e.

I'm personally not all that inspired by the playtest documents. They seem to canvass only single-dimensional stakes, of the live-or-die variety, and the treatment of interaction - both in the rule sections, and in the medusa encounter (the most interesting interaction in the module), is pretty pitiful in my view.

if you look at RPG's that remove the focus on combat and focus on different stuff, you get a fair number of D&D fans who will decry rather loudly that it's not even an RPG anymore.
I think this is right.

But the strange thing is, it seems to be much the same fans who decry balancing classes, and PCs more generally, around combat. It seems that they want stuff other than combat to matter, but aren't interested in the well-known mechanical solutions that actually deliver that result!

Last edited:

Fenes

First Post
The skill challenge system was stupid and useless since a) the math did not work at all, and was never really fixed (which kind of showed it was not playtested at all) and b) The success/failure mechanic was far too rigid to do any good, and discouraged people from taking part unless they had the best chances to roll high.

It would have been far better if they had dropped that system and simply explained how one could present a challenge to players, whcih they then could tackle through various means using skill and spells and anything else, splitting up the encounter/challenge into several tasks.

pemerton

Legend
The skill challenge system was stupid and useless since a) the math did not work at all, and was never really fixed (which kind of showed it was not playtested at all) and b) The success/failure mechanic was far too rigid to do any good, and discouraged people from taking part unless they had the best chances to roll high.

It would have been far better if they had dropped that system and simply explained how one could present a challenge to players, whcih they then could tackle through various means using skill and spells and anything else, splitting up the encounter/challenge into several tasks.
Setting DCs is a big issue, agreed. The Essentials books have some more patches for that (the "advantage" mechanic) but the maths clearly needs more work.

But the rigidity of the success/failure mechanic is key. Without it, there is no skill challenge mechanic - all you have is a complex skill check, but no guaranteed conflict resolution. If it's all based around task resolution, with no external (mechanical) constraint on when enough successes are enough, then we're back in the realm of GM fiat and handwaving. Which can be fine as an adjudication style, but won't give players much reason to spend PC build resources on the two non-combat pillars, and won't give players much reason to turn to non-combat options when they are feeling the crunch, and therefore won't support a game where characters are meant to be balanced across the pillars, rather than within each of them.

As for discouraging participation: this is another area where multi-dimensionality in stakes setting matters. Suppose the wizard gets caught up in melee, and now the player of the cleric PC is having to spend resources keeping the wizard alive, rather than optimising the cleric's synergies with the fighter. Why doesn't the player of the wizard just sit out the combat? Because the fiction doesn't give him/her that choice. The wizard PC is caught up, and has to act - even if badly - because the logic of the ingame situation dictates it.

The same thing applies to non-combat challenges. If you want the player of the dwarf fighter to make diplomacy checks, have NPCs start asking the dwarf why the cat has got his tongue, or why he always lets the namby-pamby elf do the talking! And then, when the player rolls the check and fails, narrate the ensuing complications in such a way that keeps the scene alive and more engaging (just like the thrill of the cleric having to save the mage's bacon in melee!). And makes the player enjoy having engaged the fiction, rather than feel stupid for having done so.

I think it's pretty clear that ingle-dimension stakes, where there is never a reason not to just bring the biggest numbers to bear, won't produce very satisfying non-combat play.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I see your point Pemerton but I don't fully agree with it. Oh I fully agree with the idea that the game should have a mechanical component for task resolutions outside of combat, as I've said earlier if 90% of the PHB focus on combat that the entire game will focuse on combat.

My main problem with the skill challenge mechanic (and be advised I only have the DMG1 to work with in that) is that on the one hand it's too restrictive and on the other it's too open and if the DM and players never encountered it before it becomes one big cluster :):):):)..

I want the two other pillars to be detailed with enough crunch throw in that the players will feel its worthwhile to spend character resources on them, for example having a more robust reaction system than a Diplomacy check like in 2e or having more robust and varied invaroments with different pros and cons to going through them, more robust tracking rules and more robust negotiating rules, I know players that given the chance will build their character to be this guy who can talk himself outside of tight places but given the fact that there aren't any rules for that they don't spend character resources on it and end up killing things because that's what their character sheet got in it.

Warder

Fenes

First Post
But the rigidity of the success/failure mechanic is key. Without it, there is no skill challenge mechanic - all you have is a complex skill check, but no guaranteed conflict resolution. If it's all based around task resolution, with no external (mechanical) constraint on when enough successes are enough, then we're back in the realm of GM fiat and handwaving.

Which can be fine as an adjudication style, but won't give players much reason to spend PC build resources on the two non-combat pillars, and won't give players much reason to turn to non-combat options when they are feeling the crunch, and therefore won't support a game where characters are meant to be balanced across the pillars, rather than within each of them.

So? Make it so you don't trade combat capability for social capability, and this is no problem at all. And frankly, a rigid "you need X successes" system is a bad thing - social challenges vary, and the number of successful tasks should vary as well with regards to what happens.

Like in combat: If the knight gets an unfortunate double crit the cleric has to save him, someone else has to pick up the slack, and instead of needing 10 hits now you need more "successes" to survive the encounter.

A social task where I just need 7 hits, without any rhyme or reason, and without my actions changing the following tasks, is worthless.

As for discouraging participation: this is another area where multi-dimensionality in stakes setting matters. Suppose the wizard gets caught up in melee, and now the player of the cleric PC is having to spend resources keeping the wizard alive, rather than optimising the cleric's synergies with the fighter. Why doesn't the player of the wizard just sit out the combat? Because the fiction doesn't give him/her that choice. The wizard PC is caught up, and has to act - even if badly - because the logic of the ingame situation dictates it.

The same thing applies to non-combat challenges. If you want the player of the dwarf fighter to make diplomacy checks, have NPCs start asking the dwarf why the cat has got his tongue, or why he always lets the namby-pamby elf do the talking! And then, when the player rolls the check and fails, narrate the ensuing complications in such a way that keeps the scene alive and more engaging (just like the thrill of the cleric having to save the mage's bacon in melee!). And makes the player enjoy having engaged the fiction, rather than feel stupid for having done so.

I think it's pretty clear that ingle-dimension stakes, where there is never a reason not to just bring the biggest numbers to bear, won't produce very satisfying non-combat play.

That's stupid. If the dwarf fighter is hurting the chances of the party by speaking he can always choose not to speak - or not even show up at the occasion, citing sickness as an excuse for example.

Which is why, if you stick to rigid "needs this many successes" systems, you don't count failures, you limit the "rounds" the players have to get the needed successes. Suddenly everyone is encouraged to take part, since they can only help.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
Make it so you don't trade combat capability for social capability, and this is no problem at all.
Well, sure, silo-ing is one way to handle this. But I think they've said that Next won't have silo-ing.

And frankly, a rigid "you need X successes" system is a bad thing - social challenges vary, and the number of successful tasks should vary as well with regards to what happens.

Like in combat: If the knight gets an unfortunate double crit the cleric has to save him, someone else has to pick up the slack, and instead of needing 10 hits now you need more "successes" to survive the encounter.
X before Y is just like hit points - X hit point to win, Y hit points to lose - but with the players rolling all the dice and every hit delivering 1 hp. There's nothing wrong with introducing a critical system as well (Essentials has something a bit like this with its advantages system).

A social task where I just need 7 hits, without any rhyme or reason, and without my actions changing the following tasks, is worthless.
If your actions don't change the following tasks, the GM isn't doing his/her job. Just like, in a combat, if the goblin doesn't move and you just stand there hacking at it until you get 7 hits, the GM isn't doing his/her job.

That's the point of situation, action, resolution producing new situation, etc.

If the dwarf fighter is hurting the chances of the party by speaking he can always choose not to speak - or not even show up at the occasion, citing sickness as an excuse for example.
Not showing up is like not entering the dungeon. The same way the GM will have the "dungeon" show up at the PCs' doorstep (eg the classic attack by assassins), so if the group think it's a problem that the dwarf isn't being pat of the social encounters, the social encounters should come to him/her.

As for choosing not to speak, my point was that it's pretty straightforward to design a social encounter where the player of the dwarf will want to speak, even if s/he knows the check will fail. Just as it's pretty easy to design an encounter that will make the wizard get involved in melee, even though this is not an optimal tactic for a wizard.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads