• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So I've been working on a Sci-fi/Cyberpunk/Space Opera Homebrew Campaign Setting Blog

ceiling90

First Post
It's a definite work in progress, but I have decided to make it into Blog Installments with a variety of thoughts and reasons for the state of my setting. I've Posted an Introduction as the first post, but I'll link the second post where I post some races and philosophy.

So, Uh, I'm a Robot from the future...

Tell me what you guys think.

I think this is an interesting opening.

One of the problems you're going to have is a question of how magic, cybernetics, and genetic engineering interact. Does genetic engineering allow you to turn someone into a mage? Does it interfere with that? Do cybernetics interfere with magic? Can you implant magical cybernetics?

If you're going with more of a DnD-feel, you might want to consider the idea of cybernetics that can grant magical abilities or which can be enchanted. It would be an interesting take, and would allow for creating cybernetics that otherwise simply would not exist in a cyberpunk or sci-fi setting.

ceiling90

First Post
Thanks!

That's exactly what I'm sort of looking for. Going from the ground up per say, for the setting, it takes a long process to get from Science dominant to "how to throw fireball" and make it consistent and non-kitchen sink (though quite frankly in the end, it's always going to be a little kitchen sink).

I'll definitely be contemplating that.

MasterTrancer

Explorer
The idea seems very nice, I'll definitely follow your blog.

One thing that has always bothered me with a high science and high magic setting is the credibility: if magic is so widespread and usable, why people had to study the world (thus leading to physics)? What about medicine developments, when a Heal spell is available from the next man? (Compare the density of low- and mid-level clerics in a typical fantasy world and of doctors in our real world).

Conversely, technology may have been brought to "humanity" (however broad this definition may be) by aliens/demons/whatever, and was initially seen as antagonistic to magic; people not able to use magic would then resort to technology, so helping its development.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads