• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So Legends and Lore was just Mearls ruminating?

Ron

Explorer
Wizards don't comment on unanouced products. As such, Mearls gave the only possible answer. He stated he doesn't players to be surprised by the direction D&D is taken.

Right now, I belive he is creating a concept, I wouldn't expect a product in less than two years. Also, they might try something different than a new edition, more similar to the Essentials line. As currently the errata is huge, they might opt to revise the core books. What Mearls is describing is a simplified version of D&D to accomodate game styles not currently supported by 4th ed. However, he could desogn this system within the current rules and add this information in the revised core books. As fourth edition seems to be strugling in sales, a relaunch could be a possibility.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
I can guarantee, with 100% certainty, that *every* designer at WotC (as well as numerous freelancers) have a file somewhere (either physical or mental) on how they think that 5E should be designed. I can also guarantee that they are all, with every new idea or concept that is introduced, not just in D&D but in RPGs in general, keeping a mental tally of "keep it, keep it, toss it, keep it, toss it".

As for the "great revelation" of Mearls' columns. If people would have actually read hthe intro to his columns, and actually taken him at his word as opposed to trying to read some giant conspiracy theory into them, they would have been much less stressed.

L&L Intro said:
My name is Mike Mearls, Group Manager for the D&D Research and Development team. Welcome to Legends & Lore, a weekly column where I write about various topics on D&D’s history, how the game has changed over the years, and where it’s going in the future. One of the things I want to do is pose questions and topics to D&D players across the world, because my real purpose is to understand what you think about D&D. Once I know that, then I can better understand the game.

hexgrid

Explorer
+1. I can't see him just doing these Legends and Lore articles for "Shiggles". Yeah it might be 5e...he could be also be talking about...*cough*4.5*cough*. Yeah common sense would say that it's too soon, unless 4e really has bombed, which I don't personally think is true....but you never know.

I have to say that I really liked the dials ideas, there was a part of me that wanted that to become something tangible soon.

But again...I highly doubt he was talking just for the sake of talking. There was a purpose for it.

I don't know. The articles aren't really any different than the ruminations Mearls has been posting for years, going back much farther than his employment at WotC. It's clearly something he enjoys doing.

drothgery

First Post
Before GenCon, I thought WotC would announce 5e next year at GenCon for a 2013 launch. Nothing has been announced that changes this in the slightest, and in fact the 'we need to do more playtesting' and 'we need to do more open playtesting' comments strongly argue against a launch ala 4e (announced at D&D XP and launched a few months later at GenCon -- and while I generally like 4e, 4e could definitely have used another six months of playtesting & revisions before launch).

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I think he's pretty clearly telling us what he thinks 5E would look like today. By the time it reaches the streets, it may be something different, but that's where he is today.

And if they're not working on 5E in-house right now, the game will be the worse for it when we finally do see it. The more lead-time and in-house testing it gets -- especially if it's another dramatic change from the current game -- the better.

Yes. (need to spread XP...)

But, if you are looking for evidence of a new edition coming, look at the anounced products, especially over the last 6 months. Its the sort of schedule you would have if you were trying to just keep the current edition afloat while planning a new one.

hexgrid

Explorer
Yes. (need to spread XP...)

But, if you are looking for evidence of a new edition coming, look at the anounced products, especially over the last 6 months. Its the sort of schedule you would have if you were trying to just keep the current edition afloat while planning a new one.

It's also the sort of schedule you might have if you've transitioned away from the "supplement treadmill" business model.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I see this as fitting with the open playtesting WotC has announced for their upcoming miniatures game. They've learned that things go better when you get lots of community input on big decisions (as I understand things, this was a strength of the Pathfinder launch).

There will be changes to D&D over the years, whether in a new edition or evolutions of 4e. Mearls is trying to get the pulse of the gaming community about what they do and don't like about gaming systems and possible ways of doing things. That's very useful input for him to get, given his job.

Remove ads